Thursday, August 28, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Chef's list of Restaurants.  (Read 10057 times)

Adam W

Re: Chef's list of Restaurants.
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2013, 10:15:18 AM »
I really enjoyed JJ's Bistro in PV Beach when I went there a few years back. But last time I went, the quality had taken quite a nosedive, which was a real shame. They had a number of seafood dishes on the menu (which I cannot attest to the quality of, as i cannot stand seafood) - but I ate there back before I was a veggie and the lamb was very good.

I heard there is another location, but I've never eaten there.

The decline probably started when Chef Benoit DeClefs sold his share of that restaurant, left and opened Magnificat Cafe downtown.  He wanted a less demanding work life and time for his new family.  He is a fully credentialed, French culinary institute trained chef with many years of experience.  I have had the privilege of eating  full dinners that he has prepared and he ranks with the best chefs in Jacksonville without doubt.

Thanks for that, Dog Walker. I wasn't aware of that at all. It explains a lot.

Good to know he's got another restaurant open, though. I might check it out.

brooklyn-ite

Re: A Chef's List for Dining in Jacksonville
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2013, 11:28:29 AM »
I personally ate at Boomtown and met Stephen.  Sure loved that restaurant and his cooking. 

And I still have an empty building on Park Street just waiting for the right  "restauranteur" to come in and make it sparkle.

Stephen, I'd love to publish part of this article over on my blog at http://www.icoulduseadeal.com/ and of course link back to this main article.  Would that be ok ?

Jeanine

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2013, 11:44:40 AM »
I personally ate at Boomtown and met Stephen.  Sure loved that restaurant and his cooking. 

And I still have an empty building on Park Street just waiting for the right  "restauranteur" to come in and make it sparkle.

Stephen, I'd love to publish part of this article over on my blog at http://www.icoulduseadeal.com/ and of course link back to this main article.  Would that be ok ?

Jeanine

Anytime Jeanine!  And thanks for the compliments!
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

Dog Walker

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2013, 03:14:48 PM »
It seems that someone with more restaurant connections and experience is going to open a breakfast and lunch place where the short-lived 5 Spot was in 5 Points.  Anita's Cafe?  Amy's Cafe?  I was told the name but it has slipped away.  IHGO!

Partner of one of the new owners is a chef at Orsay.  There is a menu in the window that has some very low-priced breakfast options.
When all else fails hug the dog.

ben says

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2013, 03:26:42 PM »
It seems that someone with more restaurant connections and experience is going to open a breakfast and lunch place where the short-lived 5 Spot was in 5 Points.  Anita's Cafe?  Amy's Cafe?  I was told the name but it has slipped away.  IHGO!

Partner of one of the new owners is a chef at Orsay.  There is a menu in the window that has some very low-priced breakfast options.

Great news. Thanks for the heads up. Saw some moving and shaking going on there, but assumed it was the old owners moving their stuff out.

Dog Walker

« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2013, 04:29:19 PM »
What you saw was the gift shop next door moving out.  The 5 Spot folks walked away and left everything inside to be used by the new folk.

JeffreyS

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2013, 08:01:24 PM »
Made it to Picasso's today and it was great.  The St. Louis fare was legit Toasted ravioli, Da Salad (Pasta House Salad) and Gooey Butter Cake.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.  Mark Twain

Dog Walker

« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2013, 02:52:19 PM »
From the Friday Daily Record:

Dine with Us Downtown at Magnificat Café

Jacksonville Jaguars CFO Bill Prescott and his wife, Kim, are planning their next Dine with US Downtown on Feb. 28 at The Magnificat Café at 231 N. Laura St.

It will be the 16th Downtown dining event arranged by the Prescotts to support restaurants and venues on the Northbank and Southbank.

"Bonjour! This month's Dine with Us Downtown is hosted by a French gem in the heart of Downtown, The Magnificat Café. The French-inspired lunch spot is opening specially for Dine with Us Downtown attendees," the Prescotts said in the invitation.

The Prescotts ask fellow diners to join them between 5-9:30 p.m. but to call ahead — (904) 353-3588 — so the restaurant can estimate the number of attendees. They also welcome diners to bring their own beer and wine because the café does not sell either.

There also could be special attendees. The Prescotts want board members of the Downtown Investment Authority and Downtown Vision Inc. to be there.

"This will give the board members an opportunity to meet residents and supporters of Downtown in a casual setting," said the email.

"Known for his quiche, chef and owner Benoit Desclefse hails from France. He trained in a variety of places such as Bordeaux, Paris and the U.S. before opening Magnificat Café in 2003," said the Prescotts.

BrooklynSouth

« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2013, 10:22:15 AM »
Not that I want more people in an already crowded restaurant, but I've never had a meal that was anything but excellent at the new Derby on Park. I had coffee-rubbed lambchops there two weeks ago and I couldn't believe the amount and quality for the price. And I usually don't like greenbeans because in restaurants they are always under- or over-cooked or flooded with butter, but theirs were perfect.
"Taxes are the price we pay for civilization." --  Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

I-10east

« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2013, 05:55:37 PM »
Tony D's New York Pizza off of Baymeadows Rd (8358 Point Meadows Dr) is very good.