Follow Us

Saturday, April 19, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Chef's list of Restaurants.  (Read 8462 times)

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
Re: Chef's list of Restaurants.
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2013, 01:37:10 PM »
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/florida/jacksonville/entertainment-nightlife/live-performance/boomtown-theatre-coffee

Just found this:  When we were in Springfield, Boomtown was rated 7th out of the 50 things to do in Jacksonville by Lonely Planet.  Brought a smile.
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

02roadking

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2013, 07:11:16 AM »
Hmmm, Boomtown Springfield... Just the other day I ran across a menu from there in my to-go menu drawer. Just does not seem that long ago, but I guess time seems to fly by now.
Springfield since 1998

jason_contentdg

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2013, 08:59:38 AM »
As a resident of Springfield and a lover of good food, I miss the hell out of Boomtown.  It was actually one of the first places, if not the first, that my wife and I ate at when we moved to Jacksonville in 2004 and less coincidentally, the first time I met Stephen, whom chatted with us for a bit and even came out and sauteed the mushrooms table side.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2013, 10:04:30 AM »
As a resident of Springfield and a lover of good food, I miss the hell out of Boomtown.  It was actually one of the first places, if not the first, that my wife and I ate at when we moved to Jacksonville in 2004 and less coincidentally, the first time I met Stephen, whom chatted with us for a bit and even came out and sauteed the mushrooms table side.

Thanks Jason!
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

John P

Re: A Chef's List for Dining in Jacksonville
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2013, 05:59:52 PM »
Sub picassos for moon river, uptown market for french pantry and bistro aix for orsay and you got yourself a deal.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2013, 06:59:15 PM »
Sub picassos for moon river, uptown market for french pantry and bistro aix for orsay and you got yourself a deal.

I can't speak for Picasso's, but regarding the other two........  you may as well have sub'd Larry's and Applebee's. 

(meaning no comparison, JIC my comment went over your head)
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

MusicMan

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2013, 09:58:11 PM »
Stephen, thanks for the list. I'm going to try a couple of these that I've never been to before.

BUT..................Chomp Chomp??  Ate there once during ArtWalk and was very disappointed. 

Dog Walker

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2013, 03:54:29 PM »
And I ate at Bistro Aix a couple of times and was never impressed.  Degustabus non est disputandum.
When all else fails hug the dog.

Adam W

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2013, 05:25:41 PM »
I really enjoyed JJ's Bistro in PV Beach when I went there a few years back. But last time I went, the quality had taken quite a nosedive, which was a real shame. They had a number of seafood dishes on the menu (which I cannot attest to the quality of, as i cannot stand seafood) - but I ate there back before I was a veggie and the lamb was very good.

I heard there is another location, but I've never eaten there.

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2013, 07:33:28 AM »
And I ate at Bistro Aix a couple of times and was never impressed.  Degustabus non est disputandum.

I think when it comes to AIX you don't need to give a disclaimer, Latin or otherwise, that place just sucks. It was good ten years ago, every time I've been since has been deplorable. Home of the $14 grilled cheese sandwich, what else can I say.

And Boomtown was a great place, I know Stephen's doing publishing now but I keep telling him he's missing his calling.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2013, 10:25:02 AM »
Stephen, thanks for the list. I'm going to try a couple of these that I've never been to before.

BUT..................Chomp Chomp??  Ate there once during ArtWalk and was very disappointed. 

The experience can be uneven during the crush of the art walk---none of the downtown restaurants have mastered what its like to actually be busy, yet.  except hooters of course.

But again---sheerly from a chef's POV, Chomp! Chomp! is one of those places that you have to love.  Great ingredients, smart work, usually a very high quality of presentation and perfectly priced.  Seven dollars for some of the best food in jax.

But the thing that really got them included is the passion, creativity, and sheer love of food of the young chefs in the kitchen and the owners themselves.

These boys are gifted, especially considering that they are working in a street food milieu.

Hope you give it another try, musicman.

thanks for the compliment about boomtown, Chris!

5ptscurmudgeon

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2013, 08:40:09 PM »
I remember Stephen's Fusion Cafe having a Serial Killer Art exhibit. Churches, City Council folks, business leaders etc. screaming bloody murder. LOL. One of the best cheap shameless media stunts ever.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2013, 10:42:04 PM »
I remember Stephen's Fusion Cafe having a Serial Killer Art exhibit. Churches, City Council folks, business leaders etc. screaming bloody murder. LOL. One of the best cheap shameless media stunts ever.

fun times. ;)

Singledout18241

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2013, 09:42:49 PM »
I am so happy to have stumbled upon this. I am always looking for new places to eat that are filled with character, great food, and prices. I can't wait to try some of these out. If I may add my recommendation, try Brewers Pizza in Orange park.  While I have never had moon river, I have heard many great things about them. I just haven't been able to go anywhere else for pizza after tasting it. It's seriously my favorite ever.   http://www.brewerspizza.com/home/

Dog Walker

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2013, 09:52:36 AM »
I really enjoyed JJ's Bistro in PV Beach when I went there a few years back. But last time I went, the quality had taken quite a nosedive, which was a real shame. They had a number of seafood dishes on the menu (which I cannot attest to the quality of, as i cannot stand seafood) - but I ate there back before I was a veggie and the lamb was very good.

I heard there is another location, but I've never eaten there.

The decline probably started when Chef Benoit DeClefs sold his share of that restaurant, left and opened Magnificat Cafe downtown.  He wanted a less demanding work life and time for his new family.  He is a fully credentialed, French culinary institute trained chef with many years of experience.  I have had the privilege of eating  full dinners that he has prepared and he ranks with the best chefs in Jacksonville without doubt.
When all else fails hug the dog.