Follow Us

Friday, April 18, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Chef's list of Restaurants.  (Read 8450 times)

JeffreyS

Re: Chef's list of Restaurants.
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 03:29:54 PM »
Does Picasso's do toasted Ravioli?
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.  Mark Twain

carpnter

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 03:37:32 PM »
I'm no chef, but I do love food...

1) bold bean - not just the best coffee I've had in the Southeast US, but the best staff.

2) french pantry - to die for. not sure it gets much better than this for a lunch spot. i still miss the days when they used to run a dinner service

3) orsay - best french food in the area. not much more to add.

4) the dreamette - may not be the best ice cream/soft serve in the country, but that place has is an institution worth visiting. never had a bad experience here, ever.

5) Nora's in Lakewood - easily the most authentic and homecooked Lebanese food in the area. Only place I go and order the special, every time. I trust the owner, Raymond, with my life. Try the raw kibbeh on Thursdays.

6) 13 gypsies/the tasting room - never had a bad meal at either place. great spanish food. 13 gypsies also makes the best risotto I've ever had--better than anything I've eaten in Italy

7) mr. taco - pepe's hacienda may be an iota more 'authentic' (where's the cojita at mr. taco?!), but nothing beats mr. taco. best tacos in the city, as well as the best tortas and tortillas. 

8) the donut shoppe (arlington) - best donuts...really.

Mr. Taco is great.  I also like a place called Lupita's, it is on University Blvd across from Town and Country next to Subway(old University Diner location).  Excellent Mexican food.

The wife and I have been trying to eat at locally owned restaurants instead of national chains when we eat out.  I am definitely taking notes of some of these places mentioned. 

fsquid

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 03:43:26 PM »
Does Picasso's do toasted Ravioli?

yes

TPC

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 04:41:10 PM »
I'm not a Cheif but when it comes to restaurants that I go to on a regular basis I have to agree with Moon River. I take all of my friends from out of town there and I've never heard a complaint but many a compliment.

For other low prices fair I also enjoy Burrito Gallery and Chomp Chomp.

TPC

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 04:42:15 PM »
Doh, I meant chef.

EatDrinkJax

• EatDrinkJax
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 07:27:31 PM »
Agree with lots so far. A few ideas for those who make it to the Beaches :-

Delicomb in Jax Beach - hole in the wall. Passionate about what they do. I'm super picky about coffee and theirs is awesome. Served in a large glass stein with organic cream. Creative breakfast/lunch with lots of vegan options. Kimchi on eggs. Mmmm. It's slowly getting discovered and the lineups are growing. Will need to move to a bigger place soon.

Two Dudes - Chef Ace French delivers amazing seafood and a great burger with great prices from a non-descript strip mall on Atlantic.

Azurea - Chef Ted Peters is creative and delivers delicious seafood. 5-star pricey, but a good treat.

Mojo's - pricing is very reasonable and they make an awesome burger (with bacon that is thick and crispy!), sweet potato mash and meat salad. Their barbecue is also solid but I can rarely get past the burger or salad.

Good Food Company - creative food from Chef Millard Cooley at reasonable prices. They even have a "discontinued" wine list, if you ask. We had an excellent bottle of French rose with lunch for $7.

Joseph's Pizza (thin crust) at Atlantic Beach is consistently outstanding, and so is DaVinci's Pizza, just down the road. Both have thin crust options, grind their own sausage meat, and let the flavors shine through without being greasy, bready, or drowned in cheese.

EatDrinkJax.com
Interviews with Jacksonville chefs and restaurateurs.

KEGreene1

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 08:38:12 PM »
Found a couple of new ones and see many of my favorites.  A couple of comments on the already mentioned:

I agree with Yacht Club, but would expand it to any fish Chef Stephen prepares!

Orsay is the best and can be done cheaply (especially during Happy Hour) - pork chop or steak frites

To add another one...
Gumbo Ya Ya's at San Pablo/Beach is great for po'boys and gumbo (and there house made hot sauce is awesome!)

fsquid

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 11:40:56 PM »
I'm trying the Gumbo YaYa's this weekend, good to see someone has a positive experience.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
Re: A Chef's List for Dining in Jacksonville
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 05:54:03 AM »
Boldbean- hands down.  I have some friends in the Northeast that are roasters and I still find Boldbean to beat all I have tried. 

Captain Zissou

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 09:28:39 AM »
Want to add Casa Maya in St Augustine.  I'd say it's in the top 5 for local restaurants, any category, any price, period.

I also second Joseph's and Delicomb.

Edit: Palm Valley Fish Camp is also comfortably inside the top 5 restaurants in the area.  I like it better than North Beach Fish Camp.  I can't pinpoint the reason, but I just do.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:32:42 AM by Captain Zissou »

Dog Walker

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 10:40:33 AM »
Best Cuban Sandwich in town comes from El Mofongo on 103rd near Westconnet.  Their Dominican Roast Chicken and pork skins are absolutely authentic.  I'm usually the only non-Spanish speaker in the place.  The moved to a larger space at the end of the same strip mall they are in because they were so popular.

Pastries are made on site too.
When all else fails hug the dog.

Riverrat

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 10:49:32 AM »
Wait. Carrabba's? I'd say the inclusion of that pretty much discredits the entire list. Yikes. (And yes, I've been to the Regency location, several times, and it's like every other fine Carrabba's).

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 10:53:08 AM »
Wait. Carrabba's? I'd say the inclusion of that pretty much discredits the entire list. Yikes. (And yes, I've been to the Regency location, several times, and it's like every other fine Carrabba's).

Yes.  Carrabbas.  Brilliant food.  Great Price.  Expertly prepared, highly trained food servers.

As I stated in the article, this is purely about the food.

As a rule I hate corporate chains, and spend my entire time despising the food every time a friend demands that I join them at a corporate place.

And the Carrabbas at Regency is definitely a cut above the other Carrabbas.

And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

KenFSU

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 10:58:54 AM »

I actually think it gives his list a little added credibility.

Ballsy addition Stephen :)

Can't say I've ever had a bad meal at Carrabba's.

Very few chains you can say that about.

sandyshoes

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »
Thanks for the great info...have to say, LOVE the photo;  it almost looks as if it were painted by a Dutch master, you all look very august [Websters:  marked with majestic dignity...]