I'm no chef, but I do love food...
1) bold bean - not just the best coffee I've had in the Southeast US, but the best staff.
2) french pantry - to die for. not sure it gets much better than this for a lunch spot. i still miss the days when they used to run a dinner service
3) orsay - best french food in the area. not much more to add.
4) the dreamette - may not be the best ice cream/soft serve in the country, but that place has is an institution worth visiting. never had a bad experience here, ever.
5) Nora's in Lakewood - easily the most authentic and homecooked Lebanese food in the area. Only place I go and order the special, every time. I trust the owner, Raymond, with my life. Try the raw kibbeh on Thursdays.
6) 13 gypsies/the tasting room - never had a bad meal at either place. great spanish food. 13 gypsies also makes the best risotto I've ever had--better than anything I've eaten in Italy
7) mr. taco - pepe's hacienda may be an iota more 'authentic' (where's the cojita at mr. taco?!), but nothing beats mr. taco. best tacos in the city, as well as the best tortas and tortillas.
the donut shoppe (arlington) - best donuts...really.