Follow Us

Thursday, April 24, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Chef's list of Restaurants.  (Read 8499 times)

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
Chef's list of Restaurants.
« on: January 24, 2013, 10:43:09 AM »
I thought briefly about including Seafood Kitchen at Jax Beach, but Im going to do a separate article for beaches food.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:49:05 AM by stephendare »
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

ben says

Re: Chef's list of Restaurants.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:30:38 AM »
I'm no chef, but I do love food...

1) bold bean - not just the best coffee I've had in the Southeast US, but the best staff.

2) french pantry - to die for. not sure it gets much better than this for a lunch spot. i still miss the days when they used to run a dinner service

3) orsay - best french food in the area. not much more to add.

4) the dreamette - may not be the best ice cream/soft serve in the country, but that place has is an institution worth visiting. never had a bad experience here, ever.

5) Nora's in Lakewood - easily the most authentic and homecooked Lebanese food in the area. Only place I go and order the special, every time. I trust the owner, Raymond, with my life. Try the raw kibbeh on Thursdays.

6) 13 gypsies/the tasting room - never had a bad meal at either place. great spanish food. 13 gypsies also makes the best risotto I've ever had--better than anything I've eaten in Italy

7) mr. taco - pepe's hacienda may be an iota more 'authentic' (where's the cojita at mr. taco?!), but nothing beats mr. taco. best tacos in the city, as well as the best tortas and tortillas. 

8) the donut shoppe (arlington) - best donuts...really.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:42:39 AM »
I'm no chef, but I do love food...

1) bold bean - not just the best coffee I've had in the Southeast US, but the best staff.

2) french pantry - to die for. not sure it gets much better than this for a lunch spot. i still miss the days when they used to run a dinner service

3) orsay - best french food in the area. not much more to add.

4) the dreamette - may not be the best ice cream/soft serve in the country, but that place has is an institution worth visiting. never had a bad experience here, ever.

5) Nora's in Lakewood - easily the most authentic and homecooked Lebanese food in the area. Only place I go and order the special, every time. I trust the owner, Raymond, with my life. Try the raw kibbeh on Thursdays.

6) 13 gypsies/the tasting room - never had a bad meal at either place. great spanish food. 13 gypsies also makes the best risotto I've ever had--better than anything I've eaten in Italy

7) mr. taco - pepe's hacienda may be an iota more 'authentic' (where's the cojita at mr. taco?!), but nothing beats mr. taco. best tacos in the city, as well as the best tortas and tortillas. 

8) the donut shoppe (arlington) - best donuts...really.

Ive never eaten at Nora's, Ben.  I will go and try it immediately.
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

funwithteeth

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 11:56:58 AM »
Nora's is wonderful. I ate there pretty regularly when I lived in Lakewood.

fsquid

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 12:01:26 PM »
Loved Mr. Taco when my office was over there.  I still like Pepe's a bit more though.  Thanks for your list Stephen as I now have two Viet places to try now.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 12:20:29 PM »
Nora and Mr Taco are awesome.  I tried to get into the Pepe hype, but it just wasn't as good.  For prices and attractive waitstaff, go to Pepe's.  For everything else, it's Mr Taco by a long shot.

I've been known to eat some decent food, so here is a quick list of my favorite cheap places.
Tuptim Thai-  Awesome everything from the Tea to the Drunken Noodles.  They never let me down.
Pinegrove-  I refuse to eat a cuban anywhere else and their Shrimp Po Boy is the best in town.
Karam's-  When i just what some Shwarma, this is the only option. 
Nora Cafe-  When I want anything else, I go here.
Bowl of Pho- AWESOME
Burrito Gallery- Obviously.
Moon River-  I agree that it's just a fantastic cheap dinner.

*Only been once but showing some promise.
Beachside Seafood-*  It was delicious and the amount of fresh ingredients was impressive.
Tossgreen-* Everything is fresh and they did a surprisingly great job cooking my steak.  I wouldn't say they are a 100% must try, but I want to keep them in business, so I'll put the word out.

When I'm shelling out some extra cash
Tapa That- They knock it out of the park everytime
Salty Fig- Soon to be favorite once I get some money in my pockets
Nippers- I love it.  Mac and Cheese, Tacos, Tuna, everything I could ask for
Orsay-  It's a rarity that I can afford to go here, but it's always worth it

fieldafm

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 01:15:49 PM »
I would give you a list (there is much better pizza in Jacksonville, let alone the US, than Moon River), but a little pinched for time.

That being said, Hon Korean and Palm Valley Fish Camp are definately list worthy.

Mr Taco has a food truck, and you should be hearing more about it's locations soon  ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:18:01 PM by fieldafm »

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 01:25:59 PM »
I would give you a list (there is much better pizza in Jacksonville, let alone the US, than Moon River), but a little pinched for time.

That being said, Hon Korean and Palm Valley Fish Camp are definately list worthy.

Mr Taco has a food truck, and you should be hearing more about it's locations soon  ;)

Cant wait to see your list, but I will stand behind my comments on Moon River.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 02:27:16 PM »
I'm no chef but here are some of my favorites:

Bold Bean - the only place I've been able to down coffee black and like it.

Chomp Chomp - great little whole in the wall that gets overlooked by many.

Soul Food Bistro - What can I say?  I'm a southern boy.  I love my oxtails, collards, mac & cheese, and cornbread.

Metro Diner - I'm a sucker for great french toast.

Singleton Seafood Shack - the type of long stay local seafood restaurant/market I wish DT Jax had.

Picasso's - Stuck inside of a Mandarin shopping center, I didn't know this place existed until last month.  I'll be coming back for a second round of shrimp & grits.

Kickback's - You're hungry and it's 1am in the morning. 

Food Truck of the day at Deerwood Park's Capital Plaza - Recently, I've been working out of my Southside condo.  Those food trucks pulling into Capital Plaza are godsent.  A great departure from all the chains down here.  Today, it was Up In Smoke that hit the spot.

Captain Zissou is dead on about Beachside Seafood.  I haven't been in a while but when I worked in Ponte Vedra, their fresh crab sandwiches were a weekly favorite for me.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 02:32:17 PM by thelakelander »

EatDrinkJax

• EatDrinkJax
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 02:28:34 PM »
fieldafm - does Mr. Taco have a food truck (or do you mean Corner Taco?).
EatDrinkJax.com
Interviews with Jacksonville chefs and restaurateurs.

ben says

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 02:30:11 PM »

+1 on Hon Korean....great Korean food, a tad expensive, but worth it nonetheless.

Are you serious about Mr. Taco?!?

ben says

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 02:31:53 PM »
Picasso's - Stuck inside of a Mandarin shopping center, I didn't know this place existed until last month.  I'll be coming back for a second round of shrimp & grits.

Forgot about them! Great place, totally unexpected.

fsquid

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 02:35:10 PM »
Tried Picasso's for the first time last Monday and I was really impressed myself.  Pizza was almost just like I remember Imo's in STL.

fieldafm

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 02:36:02 PM »
fieldafm - does Mr. Taco have a food truck (or do you mean Corner Taco?).

I am 100 percent certain of the difference.  I know a thing or two about local food trucks.

Picasso's is a great recommendation for authentic St Louis style pizza (or ravioli).  I also agree about Beachside, no coincidence then that there is a connection there to my family's old restaurant.

smeeeth

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 02:39:02 PM »
I thoroughly enjoy Picasso's.  The Pizza definitely beats Moon River (I'm not saying MR is bad, but both their NY and St. Louis Style are spectacular).  Everything seems to be very fresh as they grind their own meat, make their own pasta, etc.  Menu varies from the Pizza/Italian fare to comfort food, and I have yet to find a bad thing on the menu to date.