Friday, August 29, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: My Afternoon Walk Along Hogans Creek  (Read 6196 times)

ubben

Re: My Afternoon Walk Along Hogans Creek
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 01:33:56 AM »
I'd rather step in a big steaming pile of poodle crap than see a bunch of First Baptist Church hypocrites spreading their judgement and delusion in Klutho Park. Let's solve this without their poison.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 07:57:22 AM »
I'd rather step in a big steaming pile of poodle crap than see a bunch of First Baptist Church hypocrites spreading their judgement and delusion in Klutho Park. Let's solve this without their poison.

Speaking of poison... ::)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

movedsouth

• Preservation SOS
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 08:39:29 AM »

Courtesy of JSO.

Thanks to JSO then! Was this the inmate work program?

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 08:54:14 AM »

Courtesy of JSO.

Thanks to JSO then! Was this the inmate work program?

That program seems to be working out quite well, I've seen them cleaning stuff up numerous times.

MusicMan

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 05:14:10 PM »
Here's a thought: any person receiving unemployment insurance compensation could be required to do 10 hours per week of community service, according to their abilities and experience. Surely you could put together several clean up crews that could take care of some of these public spaces.

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2013, 07:28:15 AM »
Here's a thought: any person receiving unemployment insurance compensation could be required to do 10 hours per week of community service, according to their abilities and experience. Surely you could put together several clean up crews that could take care of some of these public spaces.

Personally I'd rather people collecting unemployment be out looking for jobs.

If prisoners are doing it that's a different story, they've got nothing but time on their hands.

BackinJax05

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »

Personally I'd rather people collecting unemployment be out looking for jobs.

If prisoners are doing it that's a different story, they've got nothing but time on their hands.

Thumbs up, Chris. Ten hours out of the week to do "community service" is counterproductive for someone looking for a job. As for the prisoners, let them earn their keep through sweat equity.

MusicMan

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2013, 10:04:46 AM »
10 hours a week would be a welcome relief for someone looking for a job. There is no one in North America who spends 40 hours a week looking for a job. With technological advances like the computer you can be very efficient in doing a job search. I imagine 2 hours per day is the most anyone spends actually searching, if they know how to search.

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2013, 09:43:22 PM »
10 hours a week would be a welcome relief for someone looking for a job. There is no one in North America who spends 40 hours a week looking for a job. With technological advances like the computer you can be very efficient in doing a job search. I imagine 2 hours per day is the most anyone spends actually searching, if they know how to search.

It's not a certain number of hours Music Man, the issue is that job-seekers need to be available whenever opportunity knocks. Prisoners, on the other hand, don't have that problem. You're comparing apples to razorback hogs here, this is silly.

Punch Balloon

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2013, 09:02:20 AM »
Maybe we would have less unemployed people, if we didn't use prison slave labor.

Tacachale

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2013, 11:00:41 AM »
I don't know what prisoners are doing this particular work, but at city hall they (used to ?) hire prisoners for some facilities jobs. They were paid for it, and were selected based on good behavior as a way to integrate back to society. Involuntary "chain gangs" have been gone for over 50 years.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2013, 01:06:47 PM »
Maybe we would have less unemployed people, if we didn't use prison slave labor.

But then nothing would get done, because nobody would want to spend the money.

MusicMan

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2013, 09:49:14 PM »
I hear ya, but at least half of all folks receiving unemployment insurance compensation actually have a return to work date, they get the benefit when they are seasonally laid off. Those folks are pretty much sitting around with their thumbs you know where, and my idea allows them to stay a little bit busy and provides an additional group of folks who can help the city at the same time.

TD*

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2013, 10:02:31 PM »
hahah this is so true. I live in Tally and i came over for the day, and found this disc golf course and was disgusted with it. I walked under the bridge and it was full of human feces on the sidewalk and trash..

I was like screw this trashy city... and I went back to Tallahassee where its nice.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2013, 10:37:18 PM »
LMAO!