Thursday, July 24, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Urban Construction Update - January 2013  (Read 1240 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Urban Construction Update - January 2013
« on: January 21, 2013, 03:03:40 AM »
Urban Construction Update - January 2013

A brief look at the status of various projects under construction in and around Downtown Jacksonville during the month of January 2013.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-jan-urban-construction-update-january-2013

billy

Re: Urban Construction Update - January 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 07:58:48 AM »
I was in town about two weeks ago.
I asked barrista at San Marco Pulp when Avondale would be open...
"About a week".

ben says

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 09:03:33 AM »
I was in town about two weeks ago.
I asked barrista at San Marco Pulp when Avondale would be open...
"About a week".

Heard that before....months ago.

RiversideLoki

• What do you mean we can't turn left here?
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 02:12:44 PM »
A note to the swimming yesterday guys: MAKE SURE YOU GO AND PUT A SIGN UP AT THE OLD LOCATION! I had no idea you were moving until after I made it back to the house and lamented briefly until I saw the site.

Love you guys, but there's a lot of confusion for us not so regulars that didn't get in and talk to you before you moved!

Also, hurry up! I don't want to drive to Orange Park or Cassat for crabs or oysters!!! :)
Find Jacksonville on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/jacksonville!

Bill Hoff

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 08:52:42 AM »
It appears work is beginning on the 2 story redbrick building on the corner of Broad & Beaver, as well. Across the street from the Clara White Center.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 09:12:38 AM »
^That's the old Central Hotel, which was one of LaVilla's upscale hotels during segregation.   Any idea of what's going in there? 

Bill Hoff

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 11:22:38 AM »
If it's the project I think it is, the building is owned by the Clara White Center and it'll be renovated to house more homeless services.

strider

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 05:37:42 PM »
I think it was about two years ago that Clara White tried to get a grant to purchase and use that building as an expansion of their school.  At that time, they were unable to secure the needed funding.  Hopefully they have now as expanding the school that helps get troubled people into real jobs is something very positive and much needed.
"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Patrica, Joe VS the Volcano.

simms3

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 12:38:41 AM »
Yawn...there really isn't anything going on in the city :(  These updates are stooping so low, sniffing around in all the tiniest corners for anything that involves a dumpster, demolition work, a fence, scaffolding, etc.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 07:44:30 AM »
A lot of small projects taking place but not much major.  No cranes repopulating the sky like Miami, Tampa, Orlando, and even Greenville, SC.  220 is underway but such a project is a dime a dozen in most cities of similar size across the country right now.  Something drastic must be done to really get things going.  If not, expect to be dealing with the same issues and environment, with a few extra projects sprinkled in, in 2020.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:46:44 AM by thelakelander »

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 02:56:57 PM »

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 03:34:20 PM »
Yawn...there really isn't anything going on in the city :(  These updates are stooping so low, sniffing around in all the tiniest corners for anything that involves a dumpster, demolition work, a fence, scaffolding, etc.
LOL at Simms...Simms you are a trip man.
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

Tacachale

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 05:26:20 PM »
Most cities aren't getting a brewery of the kind or quality of Aardwolf. That one's a Jax-grown affair. Projects like that are what make a city worth living in.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 07:11:11 PM »
I was in Tallahassee two days ago to give a lecture at FSU.  I couldn't believe how many infill housing projects are going on.  I had to have seen about 10 in a ride through town.