Author Topic: Jax2025: People most dissatisfied with downtown, public schools and transit  (Read 9345 times)

tufsu1

To see what vision efforts like this can create, check out what's happening in San Antonio

http://sa2020.org/

Steve_Lovett

To see what vision efforts like this can create, check out what's happening in San Antonio

http://sa2020.org/

I hope the council and mayor of Jacksonville look at how San Antonio's elected leaders and policy-makers took ownership of the city's priorities and used this effort as their roadmap.  That's what's really necessary - or to elect different leaders who will.

Noone

Re: Jax2025: People most dissatisfied with downtown, public schools and transit
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2013, 08:03:23 AM »
Round two less than 1 hour out. Anyone going?

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2013, 08:11:55 AM »
I'm getting ready to walk out the door and head that way now.

Noone

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2013, 11:47:08 PM »
The 2/2/13 Jax 2025 Draft Vision Statement had me standing in the middle of the room with a facilitator and I'm saying to myself "eanie, meanie, minie, Mo, Which table do I want to go."

Everyone had a choice of 1 of 10 categories. Ultimately everyone participated in two of the 10 categories. Some of the choices were Arts and Entertainment, Transportation, Governance, Economy, Education, Neighborhoods/Downtown, Clean and Green the Environment is where I started.

We had a good represented table of people that put together a bold statement that should have everyone sitting up in their seats after you read it. Forget about getting busted with that 16 oz. fountain drink. The two words that stick out for me in our two sentence statement that I'm still thinking about is "Environmental Ethics".

I'm sorry but didn't we have a Code of Ethics in our city charter in 1968 and was removed 4 years later in 1972 and it was just recently because of the Charter Revision Commission recommendation that the Code Of Ethics that was removed now be brought back. Palms Fish Camp! There has to be something environmental with that one. I digress.

So on to table two and the next categories for me was Neighborhoods and Downtown. I know Scott Wilson was there for this one because he was at our table. As was a representative with the Mayors office. The discussion was primarily about Downtown, Parking, Homeless, One fellow talked about the River and I'm saying to myself "keep going man". made sense to everyone that was there. Some frustration on his part for sure. As for me I used the word Welcome. I don't feel Welcomed Downtown especially when it relates to the river and I shared with the group a recent opinion rendered by the general councils office to support that conclusion. Scott, please jump in here and share your thoughts about our table.

Props to Mayor Brown. He was there the whole time and took the time to see everyone and is engaged in the process. Ben Warner is doing a nice job in continuing to gather the information. Ben, you are going to have to auction off that tie at the end of this thing. Looking forward to the next one.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:12:09 PM by Noone »

Tacachale

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »
How did it go?
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2013, 12:24:53 PM »
Yes....because sadly gun shows are more interesting

You mean the gun show that could easily be held at the arena, fair grounds, Hyatt or a dozen other places around town? Perhaps your onto something TUFSU1, "A free box of .22 bullets for every attendee."

tufsu1

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2013, 01:11:26 PM »
Ock...the gun show I was referring to was held at the fairgrounds....although it was interesting yesterday to see the wide deifference in attendees at Jax2035 from those of the gun show held next door.

As for how the evnt went yesterday, I think was overall pretty good.  Probably 400-500 people showed up...within a week or so, we should have broad vision statements for the top 10 issues (see above post from Noone)....and for those who want to get down to details, the next meeting (Tuesday March 19th @6-8pm) will brainstorm steps to achieveing the visions.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:19:18 AM by tufsu1 »

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2013, 01:26:31 PM »
My bad TUFSU1, now all we have to do is convince them to move the rest of the 'shows' out of the Jacksonville Terminal and into some alternative location.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
How did it go?

Yesterday, the mission was to create vision statements for the top 10 topics that came out of the survey and kick off meeting.  Everyone had the opportunity to select two categories to participate in.  I chose Transportation and Downtown/Urban Neighborhoods.  At my transportation table, we breezed through this assignment.  We struggled quite a bit to focus on the task at hand at my downtown table.  There was too much discussion on what downtown needed to attract suburbanites.  I heard tear down historic buildings for Apple stores, comparisons of DT with Dubai, and the need for something unique like the St. Louis Arch or Seattle Space Needle.  I realized my knowledge on downtown and development was a little advanced for my table, so I suggested some things to help keep us on track.

Towards the end, Mayor Brown stopped by our table and asked our opinion on attracting grocery stores and restaurants to older neighborhoods like Durkeeville that were not historic like Riverside/Avondale or Springfield.  I mentioned, they were all the same and that Durkeeville, in particular, has a ton of potential with its historic housing stock, busy streets, and Stanton.  I threw a redevelopment response that was probably somewhat different from the expected answer.  I suggested that you could encourage more grand scale redevelopment by possibly implementing a program where residents within a certain walkable radius of the magnet school could have their children automatically enrolled.  It's clear that people are willing to move to certain areas of this region to get their kids into the best schools.  The draw of Stanton could easily attract residential growth and redevelopment in a neighborhood like Durkeeville and that buzz alone would help stimulate market rate commercial development to the community.

Outside of that, it was great getting to meet more people in the community and working together for a common goal.  I'm looking forward to the next meeting and seeing how general vision statements will begin to result in implementation strategies.

Noone

....and for those who want to get down to details, the next meeting (Tuesday March 19th @6-8pm) will brainstorm steps to achieveing the visions.

First we have to get rid of the out of control corruption.

The positive benefit is that the FBI is in Jacksonville and that translates into economic development.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:59:34 PM by stephendare »

Noone

Is the next JCCI 2025 meeting still on in 3 days?

tufsu1

yes....and this is the meeting where action planning takes place....this is where the vision statements turn into tasks (they should, we will, etc.)...so if you want to be a part of making Jacksonville a great city, plan on being at the Prime Osborn this Saturday from 9-11am

tufsu1

Here's more...from an email I just received

Jacksonville's future depends on you...on all of us. Thousands of us have joined together to speak up, take the survey, attend the events, and craft a vision. This is a community-led and community-owned vision, and now we need YOUR HELP to make it real!

The next JAX2025 Visioning Event is just 4 days away.  This session will focus Visioneers on discussing action strategies - how we can all make this vision a reality. 

For those of you who have been ready to discuss strategy and action plans from the beginning, THIS IS YOUR MEETING!

JAX2025 VISIONING EVENT
ACTION PLANNING: MAKING JAX2025 REAL
Saturday, April 27th
9a.m.- 11a.m.
(doors open at 8:30 am)
The Prime Osborn Convention Center

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
I plan on attending.