Thursday, July 24, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Historic Bostwick Building Demolition Meeting Tonight  (Read 14484 times)

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
Re: Historic Bostwick Building Demolition Meeting Tonight
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2013, 06:51:22 PM »
FWIW:  Lori Boyer actually told Stephen to behave himself. 

Luckily for Stephen, the lawyer and friends unwittingly supported his assertion that the city was being "held hostage".

Stephen's words were strong -- he pointed to a history of neglect of our historic structures by owners and by the city.  Schellenburg took offense at the "held hostage" comment, but what else is it? 

Of course, Stephen just smiled.

lol.

She did!  But like a few others, she has so much of my respect and genuine affection that I certainly didnt mind the chide.  Lori Boyer has the intelligence and enough taste to be as informal as she likes with me.

After the meeting I realized that I have spent time with Karl Carter Bostwick.  He's a genuinely likable fellow, I just think that he is taking a little cynical advice on how to proceed forward on the sale of this property.

To me the standout speakers tonight were Jennifer Hewitt Apperson, Preston Haskell and Carmen Godwin on the historic preservation side, and both Carl and Val Bostwick on the demolition side.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:31:23 PM by stephendare »
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2013, 08:58:48 PM »
Okay, back to the admonishment by Lori Boyer.
Please don't hate me, but I just couldn't help myself:
       HOW DARE YOU, STEPHEN!!!   lol
and... thanks She Clown.  I will keep in touch

sheclown

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2013, 09:08:22 PM »
I loved hearing Preston Haskell explain, in great detail, how he would fix up the building. 

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2013, 10:34:50 PM »
I arrived from work just after the last speaker and missed it all, darn it. Sounds like all the points in favor of preservation were covered.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2013, 11:09:25 PM »
Did sh also give him a slap on the wrist???  Shame Stephen, shame!  Only the coucil is allowed to show their ass!  LOL
Stephen, speak up/speak out!  In the words of others...This Place Matters.

OMG don't encourage him, he'll show up as Aunt Jemima!  ;)

sheclown

« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2013, 06:51:39 AM »
I arrived from work just after the last speaker and missed it all, darn it. Sounds like all the points in favor of preservation were covered.

Yes!!!  But you showed up just the same -- breathless as you ran from work.  I'm sure February's meeting will run longer.

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2013, 10:49:03 AM »
Thanks for the live feed.  It was informative.  I also liked the dscriptions of the participants.  It added a bit of color to them.  Humanized them.  Up 'til now they were simply  names.  Stephen, good job!

Bill Hoff

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2013, 12:13:45 PM »
It'll still be important to have a lot of people there on Feb 5th. This is precedent setting, and a large presence will be needed - if an arrangement isn't agreed upon prior to.

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »
I will do my best to be there!!

GatorNation

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2013, 03:35:44 PM »
FWIW:  Lori Boyer actually told Stephen to behave himself. 

Luckily for Stephen, the lawyer and friends unwittingly supported his assertion that the city was being "held hostage".

Stephen's words were strong -- he pointed to a history of neglect of our historic structures by owners and by the city.  Schellenburg took offense at the "held hostage" comment, but what else is it? 

Of course, Stephen just smiled.

lol.

She did!  But like a few others, she has so much of my respect and genuine affection that I certainly didnt mind the chide.  Lori Boyer has the intelligence and enough taste to be as informal as she likes with me.

After the meeting I realized that I have spent time with Karl Carter Bostwick.  He's a genuinely likable fellow, I just think that he is taking a little cynical advice on how to proceed forward on the sale of this property.

To me the standout speakers tonight were Jennifer Hewitt Apperson, Preston Haskell and Carmen Godwin on the historic preservation side, and both Carl and Val Bostwick on the demolition side.

Stephen -- I'm a little confused . . . what exactly are the Bostwick's appealing?  Are they saying that the building should not be a historical landmark, or that they should be able to demo the building, or both? 

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2013, 06:35:48 PM »
Both. They don't want landmark status because that adds a layer of protection. And thanks to short sighted COJ daily fines, they want to demolish. Silly. Sell it to Preston Haskell.

sheclown

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2013, 05:07:42 PM »
February 5th is Tuesday.  LUZ should take action.

sheclown

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2013, 08:42:16 AM »
The hearing for the Bostwick Building has been deferred to Feb. 20th.

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2013, 02:05:40 PM »
Thanks for letting everyone know.  I was planning to attend.  What I do need to find out is where is a safe place to park?  That is my only obstacle.  I am a a bit unsure of being down there after dark.

downtownjag

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2013, 02:43:47 PM »
Both. They don't want landmark status because that adds a layer of protection. And thanks to short sighted COJ daily fines, they want to demolish. Silly. Sell it to Preston Haskell.

The City commonly fines DT buildings when they want action; most of the time they agree to waive most or all in conjunction with a sale that includes rehab.