Monday, July 28, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Historic Bostwick Building Demolition Meeting Tonight  (Read 14564 times)

riverside planner

Re: Historic Bostwick Building Demolition Meeting Tonight
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 01:28:04 PM »
I just got word that the Bostwick's have requested deferral of tonight's agenda items.  It will be up to the LUZ to grant this deferral, but there is a strong chance that any action will be deferred until the next meeting (February 5th).  There will still be a public hearing at tonight's meeting regardless of whether action is taken.

urbaknight

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 01:42:16 PM »
Boyer and Jones are the only decent ones that I know of in the group. Don't know enough about Carter. But Redman, Gulliford and Shellenberg are some of our most anti urban council members we have! Not very optimistic about this I'm afraid.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »
Update:

I just spoke with Lori's council aide, and he said that the Bostwicks have indeed requested a deferral, which Lori is going to grant.  However, as Riverside Planner pointed out, the public hearing on the issue is still on track.

Im hoping to hear from Councilwoman Boyer before the meeting, which seems a little unlikely given the hustle and bustle before a meeting by a committee chair.

interestingly, one of the Bostwick family members weighed in on our facebook page:

Barbara Bostwick Edwards It would be a sad day to see this demolished. While I understand the financial burdens of restoration, I hope my cousins will accept the offer.
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

mbwright

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 01:51:37 PM »
I am glad to see that the Historic department is working on issues like this.  I don't think that was how it has been historically. 
One concern I have is how Historic Districts are defined, and enforced.  Springfield is Historic, but demos, until recently were encouraged and fast tracked, often without any comment, or consideration of the whole neighborhood.  It's great that Preservation SOS and others are working to change this.  There is a fine line between keeping a neighborhood in check, and trampling property rights.  I do feel that if you do have a historic property, you really have an obligation to maintain it, and not butcher it.  Restoration and integrity are key.  I grew up in a historic neighborhood, but it seems each is defined differently, and each designation (Historic, Landmark, etc) means different things, often significant.  Just because it is 'historic' does not mean demo is not legal.  I think there needs to be some sort of standard, at least within a city, or area.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 02:05:38 PM »
via email from The City: 

FYI…We just got word the LUZ items on the building will be deferred this evening.  Joel (McEachin) said they’d open it for comment but that is it.  It will be rescheduled to February 5th.
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

JFman00

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 02:30:22 PM »
I'm against designating historic districts wholesale as it seems to create fantasylands where not only buildings can't be changed, the neighborhood perceived historical character can't change either. I'll never understand the appeal or rationale behind forcing new construction (that doesn't involve demolition) having to fit some predetermined architectural style. Form-based zoning is one thing, but to me a 2005 building designed to look like it's from 1925 is just as artificial and unappealing whether it's built in a historic district or exurb.

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 02:45:08 PM »
I uderstand that the owners feel they have an albatross around their neck.  Howevr, they have an offerTake the damn money and run.
Let the building have new llife. 

BackinJax05

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 02:57:35 PM »
^^ Yes. $150,000 might be "pennies on the dollar", however they'll be done with the building and it will be Preston Haskell's headache.

Then, maybe, this building from the past can have a future.

Dog Walker

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 03:57:31 PM »
Let's see.  They want $350,000 for the building and land.  The land is appraised at less than $80,000.....and they want to tear the building down?  Kinked thinking!

Sell the building to Haskell, people!
When all else fails hug the dog.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 04:11:08 PM »
Oh damn! Has I-10 East weighed in on this? Which way will it go?  MJ is trashing Jacksonville because some of it's readers want to save a very historic building? OR? MJ is trashing Jacksonville because some of it's readers wish to leave the fate of the building to the owners?

BackinJax05

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 04:14:18 PM »
^^ ROTFLMAO!!  :D

sheclown

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 04:26:31 PM »
If they want to hear from the public, I say, let's give them the opportunity.

tufsu1

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 04:49:30 PM »
The land is appraised at less than $80,000

well that's a steal given the prominent corner the property is on

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 05:02:26 PM »
Not once you realize how small the lot size is and all the challenges you must overcome to put a brand new building on it. The Bostwicks should take Haskell's money and run.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 05:12:02 PM »
OK here at the meeting.

In attendance in the audience:
Terry Lorrince,
Gloria DeVal of SOS Springfield.
Kay Ehas,
myself,
Paul Harden for some reason,