Friday, November 21, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Riverside YMCA Project Approved  (Read 7221 times)

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
Re: Riverside YMCA Project Approved
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 10:37:41 PM »
After thought, just for the appearances, sure would be cool to get three or four high rises somewhere between CSX - BCBS - Park Street and River.  It would make the downtown skyline look absolutely first tier.

vicupstate

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 08:15:30 AM »
Nice design.  Jax will go from one of the most outdated Y facilities to one of the nicest with this new building.  I hope the future Riverside facing part is more than 5 or 6 stories though.  It would be an ideal place for a high rise with office and residential.  It will be a long time before the market can support that, but it would be worth waiting for something great.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

urbaknight

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »
Nice design.  Jax will go from one of the most outdated Y facilities to one of the nicest with this new building.  I hope the future Riverside facing part is more than 5 or 6 stories though.  It would be an ideal place for a high rise with office and residential.  It will be a long time before the market can support that, but it would be worth waiting for something great.

Amen to that!

DSG

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 01:42:51 PM »
Aside from the Zoning/Development scheme ideas which have been hotly debated in other threads, I think the architectural design needs fresh vision. It is not a nice design. This looks like a building that would have gone in other cities about 20 years ago. What is it with Jacksonville?
Honestly, the top hat thing over the rotunda will be completely lost on anyone on the river or Riverwalk. But it will make a nice big sign for the helicopters and blimps that fly on gameday! Seriously, spend the money on more sophisticated materials or sunshading or something.
The design is right in its orientation to the river, but beyond that I don't see anything architecturally noteworthy. Just bla. Good architecture would make this city a cool place to live, becoming part of the package that attracts new talent and money.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 01:54:47 PM »
Don't forget the logo being visible on Google and other aerial maps.

ubben

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 11:19:44 PM »
You can be sure the lobby will have a lovely framed print of blond Jesus and a gigantic flat-panel television tuned to Fox News.

Don't forget about the giant Bible on the pedestal right on the gym floor. Like you're supposed to read about how you'll be punished if you eat shrimp or pork right between tricep sets. I've been a member of Y's in other cities and never seen such kooky attempts of conversion therapy. That First Baptist Church must be run by very insecure nut jobs. And the architectural drawings of the new Y? YAWN! Looks like something you'd see built in Macon.

tufsu1

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 08:25:46 AM »
Many YMCA chapters around the country decided a few years ago to put more emphassis on Christian principles (that's what the C stands for you know)...in the case of northeast Florida, that meant hagning pictures of Jesus at the entrance and having visible bibles.

also note that the Y is not run by First Baptist

funwithteeth

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 10:47:01 AM »
Again, this whinging on the 'C' part is strange. What about the 'Y' and the 'M'? ubben, did you know that you don't have to be Young or Male to be a member?

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 04:18:39 PM »
You can be sure the lobby will have a lovely framed print of blond Jesus and a gigantic flat-panel television tuned to Fox News.

Don't forget about the giant Bible on the pedestal right on the gym floor. Like you're supposed to read about how you'll be punished if you eat shrimp or pork right between tricep sets. I've been a member of Y's in other cities and never seen such kooky attempts of conversion therapy. That First Baptist Church must be run by very insecure nut jobs. And the architectural drawings of the new Y? YAWN! Looks like something you'd see built in Macon.

Your understanding of the Christian scripture or principals is no doubt exceeded only by your knowledge of First Baptist. The Bible is pretty clear about 'food rules,' in a 'New Testament' era (see below). Of course I'm assuming you are more open minded then the members of FBC you so readily condemn.

Church. Acts 10:12-15
New International Version (NIV)
12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. 13 Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”

14 “Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”

15 The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.” 

What God hath cleansed - What God has pronounced or declared pure. If God has commanded you to do a thing, it is not impure or wrong. Perhaps Peter would suppose that the design of this vision was to instruct him that the distinction between clean and unclean food, as recognized by the Jews, was about to be abolished, Acts 10:17. But the result showed that it had a higher and more important design. It was to show him that they who had been esteemed by the Jews as unclean or profane - the entire Gentile world - might now be admitted to similar privileges with the Jews. The end result is that Christians may eat anything while our Jewish brethren continue following the laws of the Torah.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 03:10:38 PM »
New Riverside Y project gets $2 million Coggin family donation

Luther Coggin, founder of Coggin Automotive Group, and his wife, Blanche, have donated $2 million for the new Riverside YMCA, which is to be under construction later this year.

full article: http://jacksonville.com/news/health-and-fitness/2013-02-06/story/new-riverside-y-project-gets-2-million-coggin-family#ixzz2K9Sqd1go

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 04:30:59 PM »
^ Woo Hoo!

funwithteeth

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 04:58:54 PM »
Someone should give Yates money to buy a new hot-water heater.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 06:01:32 PM »
Why would yates need to heat hot water?  :-)

funwithteeth

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 06:06:05 PM »
To make it extra hot.

blfair

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 02:58:38 PM »
I canceled my membership when they let their last good personal trainer walk out the door. They are in desperate need of a new facility however, anything would be an improvement. I'm sure their membership will grow dramatically when this comes to fruition.