Author Topic: Councilman Redman wants Metro Park concerts stopped  (Read 22752 times)

cline

Re: Councilman Redman wants Metro Park concerts stopped
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2013, 01:32:10 PM »
I have a hard time with people slinging mud at Don Redman when is goal is to help everyday citizens.

I'm an everyday citizen.  Shutting down concerts at Met Park doesn't help me at all.

tufsu1

« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2013, 02:16:55 PM »
Hopefully, setting appropriate noise limits and a reasonable ending time for concerts will be a good solution for all

Shine

« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2013, 08:17:51 AM »

You cannot help a few citizens by shutting down the enjoyment of the majority of the citizens.

Why not close down all the airports, shut down the railroads at night and forbid people from being able to use more than one lane of a highway if it passes through a residential neighborhood.

What next?  Light pollution?

Should the cities be required to turn off all the bright lights at night because some people invent a right to natural darkness?

Never said I was for shutting down all concerts.  But, your points make my case.  All the things you list are things managed and mitigated by nearly all municipal governments and associated authorities.  Do we manage and reduce lights on the shoreline during sea turtle nesting season?  Are airport traffic patterns modified to minimize noise in nearby communities?  When I read this bill, it makes the noise levels subject to the noise ordinance – I don’t see where it shuts them down.  So, help me understand where the “shutdown” is coming from.  As for dismissing the rights of the few to benefit the rights of the many, that is certainly the brand of tyrannical government in my opinion.  Plenty of examples where that practice did not work out too well in America’s past.  My point, again, is the south bank has a legitimate issue.  There is probably a middle ground that would help both sides.   

spuwho

« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2013, 01:00:18 PM »

What next?  Light pollution?

Should the cities be required to turn off all the bright lights at night because some people invent a right to natural darkness?

That's what some people say about global warming. Shut off your coal fired power plant doggone it, you are interfering with my right to clean air.

Clean air
Clean skies
Clean sounds

St Nicholas is saying, turn down your music, you are interfering with my right to clean sound.

Just work out a deal with the Met Park promoters on some boundaries, not a biggie. You don't have to stop the concerts in totality.

It's obviously a negotiation, Redman has staked out his position, Met Park has theirs, now be good neighbors and find a plan that works for both. How hard can that be?

kreger

« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2013, 07:57:42 PM »
Withdrawn! Don Redman and entire city council withdraws this bill.

Dog Walker

« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2013, 11:25:30 AM »
They were struck by a sudden bout of sanity!
When all else fails hug the dog.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2013, 01:45:59 PM »
As a (probable) future resident of St Nicholas, I hope to help improve the general consensous of the area.  I, for one, will be posted up at one of the many waterfront spaces in the neighborhood enjoying the free music.

mbwright

« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2013, 02:30:52 PM »
withdrawn usually  means no vote was taken.  It can always resurface...

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2013, 02:40:53 PM »
I've talked with three city council members privately today on the subject... if that bill went to vote, it may have gotten 2 votes.  Most thought Redman's bill was what it was: short sighted, harmful to the city and nonsensical.

Actually, a very economical and attractive solution was presented to me today (suggested by someone who reads the message board).  Hopefully we'll hear more about this in the future and Metro Park begins to be better utilized (currently it's a rotting riverfront asset... something we sadly have an abundant supply of). 

Charles Hunter

« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2013, 07:28:05 PM »
(From the linked board)
The Welcome to Rockville music festival returns for a third go-round in April, this time spread over two days and featuring a distinctly Jacksonville flavor.

Lynyrd Skynyrd, Limp Bizkit and Shinedown – all with deep roots in Jacksonville – are among the acts scheduled to perform. Others include Alice in Chains, 3 Doors Down, Stone Sour, Three Days Grace, Papa Roach, Bullet for My Valentine and Asking Alexandria.

Redman's gonna have a coronary!