Author Topic: Councilman Redman wants Metro Park concerts stopped  (Read 19286 times)

Noone

Re: Councilman Redman wants Metro Park concerts stopped
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2013, 02:07:17 AM »
As Noone says we need to let the legislative process take its course.

Withdraw the legislation. Every news media outlet should be contacting Ben Warner, Mayor Brown, Alan Verlander, and it should be one of the top discussions for 2025. We now have an expanded Entertainment Zone. When and where was the neighborhood meeting?

The legislative process should not be used as a legislative tool to destroy the Public Trust in the circumventing a bigger hidden agenda by our elected legislative representatives.

Was at city Hall and the Rules Committee was finishing grabbed an agenda and within in an hour was standing on the sandy beach of Palmer Terrace Park Dist. 4 across from Metro Park that still needs a Mayor Brown Kayak launch logo. It was a high tide and people were fishing at Holmesdale Ave. Can we put a table and chair from Hemming Plaza  that you are removing and relocate them at Holmesdale Ave. and Palmer Terrace Park? Is there a relocation plan for all this equipment or is it going to be ripped out and taken to the scrap yard? let's handle one disaster at a time before creating a new one. The manipulation of FIND grant money is another example that comes to mind. Can you share one bid price for the slab of concrete for the new clock?

You come on these forums which is good and you see everyone especially when it gets around to election time and then completely ignore the questions on the same forums that you search out to get your emergency legislation passed.

heatherlfdx

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2013, 02:23:13 AM »
http://www.causes.com/causes/810291-no-more-concerts-at-met-park-please-don-t-ignore/about
unfortunately the facebook causes.com app has just caused me a world of spamming, emailing, and phishing. all 299 people on my friends list were messaged with an invite to a cause i had not even read yet the second i clicked on the link to read about it. took 10 damn minutes to block the app, have all the comments deleted, delete 6 emails from causes.com, and remove myself from the website's auto-registration feature.
sooo, assuming this website isn't just a big ol phishing site and its a fault in the fb app, how will this online petition be presented to the city council on jan 22nd before the 5pm hearing?
here is don redman's email address Redman@coj.net. write an intelligent email to him not one of those "hey f__ker you better not if you know whats good for you you suck kiss my lilly white butt" emails.
you may also go to the meeting
Jacksonville City Hall; 117 West Duval Street #425 Jacksonville, FL 32202
IF YOU WISH TO SPEAK AT THIS HEARING: Upon arrival you must fill out a speaker card; you will have three minutes to intelligently articulate why you oppose this bill.

SoundGuy

« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2013, 11:47:21 PM »
http://www.causes.com/causes/810291-no-more-concerts-at-met-park-please-don-t-ignore/about
unfortunately the facebook causes.com app has just caused me a world of spamming, emailing, and phishing. all 299 people on my friends list were messaged with an invite to a cause i had not even read yet the second i clicked on the link to read about it. took 10 damn minutes to block the app, have all the comments deleted, delete 6 emails from causes.com, and remove myself from the website's auto-registration feature.
sooo, assuming this website isn't just a big ol phishing site and its a fault in the fb app, how will this online petition be presented to the city council on jan 22nd before the 5pm hearing?
here is don redman's email address Redman@coj.net. write an intelligent email to him not one of those "hey f__ker you better not if you know whats good for you you suck kiss my lilly white butt" emails.
you may also go to the meeting
Jacksonville City Hall; 117 West Duval Street #425 Jacksonville, FL 32202
IF YOU WISH TO SPEAK AT THIS HEARING: Upon arrival you must fill out a speaker card; you will have three minutes to intelligently articulate why you oppose this bill.
I am the one that started the cause and have more hard copy petitions circulating around town. I appologize for the facebook app being a pain in the ass, but it was an excellent way to get the word out quickly. I have had an overwhelming number of responses, so my plan worked.

ramonhernandezjr

« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2013, 07:56:47 PM »
I say great! Move all the concerts out to the Cecil Commerce area. There is plenty of room for an outdoor amphitheater. You can build it near the hangers which are far enough away from Cecil Pines.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2013, 08:26:10 PM »
It was recommended to me today to check the details of the funding of Metropolitan Park during the Godbold era.  Evidently, the city used federal money for the park's construction and that the 12 events are required as a part of accepting federal money.  If we eliminate those events, we could end up having to pay the feds back the money given for it's construction.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Scott A Wilson

« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2013, 05:59:04 AM »
It was recommended to me today to check the details of the funding of Metropolitan Park during the Godbold era.  Evidently, the city used federal money for the park's construction and that the 12 events are required as a part of accepting federal money.  If we eliminate those events, we could end up having to pay the feds back the money given for it's construction.
We are working on a solution that will reduce the decibel level.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2013, 06:23:28 AM »
Scott - are you also considering a reasonable curfew (say 11:00pm), like the St. Augustine Amphitheater has?  As someone said (SoundGuy?) earlier, too stringent limits on decibels could affect the shows themselves.

Scott A Wilson

« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2013, 06:32:28 AM »
Scott - are you also considering a reasonable curfew (say 11:00pm), like the St. Augustine Amphitheater has?  As someone said (SoundGuy?) earlier, too stringent limits on decibels could affect the shows themselves.
Yes, they currently stop at 11pm which I think is a little late on a Sunday night. There are only a couple of events that turn the sound up to a point where the Southbank folks are bothered inside their homes. it becomes a real nuisance when the cloud cover is low. Trying to identify the correct decibel level and base level is difficult because it depends on the weather.

Dog Walker

« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2013, 10:05:55 AM »
The weather has a huge effect on how the sound travels across the river.  Maybe there is some sort of remote decibel monitor that could be mounted on the other side of the river to monitor how the sound is hitting there.

I've seen some outdoor venues in Europe that have multiple, smaller speakers surrounding the area all facing into the audience.  That seemed to give the same audience experience without having to blast the sound from just the stage.  Don't know if that sort of setup would work in this situation though, since the bands travel with their own sound equipment.
When all else fails hug the dog.

comncense

• Facebook
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2013, 10:44:13 AM »
It's funny, I live on the NorthBank at the Berkman and I rarely am bothered by the sound level of concerts at Metro Park. Wouldn't the noise be even more of an issue for those of us here on the NorthBank as compared to SouthBank residents?

scottwilson

« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2013, 11:29:50 AM »
It's funny, I live on the NorthBank at the Berkman and I rarely am bothered by the sound level of concerts at Metro Park. Wouldn't the noise be even more of an issue for those of us here on the NorthBank as compared to SouthBank residents?
The residents on the Southbank live in older homes. I also think the sound travels quicker across the river.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2013, 12:27:50 PM »
I say great! Move all the concerts out to the Cecil Commerce area. There is plenty of room for an outdoor amphitheater. You can build it near the hangers which are far enough away from Cecil Pines.

And the death of downtown Jacksonville will continue...

The whole reason why downtown has long suffered from a lack of vibrancy is/was our spread ourselves over 874.3 square miles rather then concentrating our energy on urban core.  If we want to live in a truly great city then we simply MUST find more reasons to be in downtown.

Shine

« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »
The residents on the Southbank live in older homes. I also think the sound travels quicker across the river.
Apologize for joining the discussion late.  But ScottWilson’s comment is accurate – water transmits sound easily.  I know this has been an issue for St. Nicolas residents have been fighting and dealing with for close to 20 years now.  I am kind of taken a-back by some of the comments here when Metro-Jax is usually a highly pro-citizen group.  This is a very real issue for the people living on the South Bank.  I am not going to say all concerts in MetPark need to come to an end, but I don’t think the city has effectively managed the issue and the record shows the citizens on the south bank were treated poorly by some in the city over the years.  Need a solution that works both sides.  I have a hard time with people slinging mud at Don Redman when is goal is to help everyday citizens.

Tacachale

« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2013, 12:53:09 PM »
^The Sports Complex area has been a place for outdoor events and concerts for over 60 years. While the city should do what it can to mitigate the impact, it shouldn't be expected to drop downtown events and projects that benefit thousands due to some noise complaints from a few.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2013, 01:30:52 PM »
well, Stephen the City is already shutting off lights, I noticed JEA out tagging street lights lights that will be turned off all along Myrtle Ave the other day. Not to mention our skyline has been darkening ever since the Super Bowl. Dont give them anymore ideas! :-)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 02:19:12 PM by fsujax »