Friday, July 25, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Councilman Redman wants Metro Park concerts stopped  (Read 8825 times)

comncense

• Facebook
Re: Councilman Redman wants Metro Park concerts stopped
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2013, 10:44:13 AM »
It's funny, I live on the NorthBank at the Berkman and I rarely am bothered by the sound level of concerts at Metro Park. Wouldn't the noise be even more of an issue for those of us here on the NorthBank as compared to SouthBank residents?

scottwilson

« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2013, 11:29:50 AM »
It's funny, I live on the NorthBank at the Berkman and I rarely am bothered by the sound level of concerts at Metro Park. Wouldn't the noise be even more of an issue for those of us here on the NorthBank as compared to SouthBank residents?
The residents on the Southbank live in older homes. I also think the sound travels quicker across the river.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2013, 12:27:50 PM »
I say great! Move all the concerts out to the Cecil Commerce area. There is plenty of room for an outdoor amphitheater. You can build it near the hangers which are far enough away from Cecil Pines.

And the death of downtown Jacksonville will continue...

The whole reason why downtown has long suffered from a lack of vibrancy is/was our spread ourselves over 874.3 square miles rather then concentrating our energy on urban core.  If we want to live in a truly great city then we simply MUST find more reasons to be in downtown.

Shine

« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »
The residents on the Southbank live in older homes. I also think the sound travels quicker across the river.
Apologize for joining the discussion late.  But ScottWilson’s comment is accurate – water transmits sound easily.  I know this has been an issue for St. Nicolas residents have been fighting and dealing with for close to 20 years now.  I am kind of taken a-back by some of the comments here when Metro-Jax is usually a highly pro-citizen group.  This is a very real issue for the people living on the South Bank.  I am not going to say all concerts in MetPark need to come to an end, but I don’t think the city has effectively managed the issue and the record shows the citizens on the south bank were treated poorly by some in the city over the years.  Need a solution that works both sides.  I have a hard time with people slinging mud at Don Redman when is goal is to help everyday citizens.

Tacachale

« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2013, 12:53:09 PM »
^The Sports Complex area has been a place for outdoor events and concerts for over 60 years. While the city should do what it can to mitigate the impact, it shouldn't be expected to drop downtown events and projects that benefit thousands due to some noise complaints from a few.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2013, 01:27:15 PM »
Apologize for joining the discussion late.  But ScottWilson’s comment is accurate – water transmits sound easily.  I know this has been an issue for St. Nicolas residents have been fighting and dealing with for close to 20 years now.  I am kind of taken a-back by some of the comments here when Metro-Jax is usually a highly pro-citizen group.  This is a very real issue for the people living on the South Bank.  I am not going to say all concerts in MetPark need to come to an end, but I don’t think the city has effectively managed the issue and the record shows the citizens on the south bank were treated poorly by some in the city over the years.  Need a solution that works both sides.  I have a hard time with people slinging mud at Don Redman when is goal is to help everyday citizens.

meh Scott.

You cannot help a few citizens by shutting down the enjoyment of the majority of the citizens.

Why not close down all the airports, shut down the railroads at night and forbid people from being able to use more than one lane of a highway if it passes through a residential neighborhood.

What next?  Light pollution?

Should the cities be required to turn off all the bright lights at night because some people invent a right to natural darkness?
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2013, 01:30:52 PM »
well, Stephen the City is already shutting off lights, I noticed JEA out tagging street lights lights that will be turned off all along Myrtle Ave the other day. Not to mention our skyline has been darkening ever since the Super Bowl. Dont give them anymore ideas! :-)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 02:19:12 PM by fsujax »

cline

« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2013, 01:32:10 PM »
I have a hard time with people slinging mud at Don Redman when is goal is to help everyday citizens.

I'm an everyday citizen.  Shutting down concerts at Met Park doesn't help me at all.

tufsu1

« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2013, 02:16:55 PM »
Hopefully, setting appropriate noise limits and a reasonable ending time for concerts will be a good solution for all

Shine

« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2013, 08:17:51 AM »

You cannot help a few citizens by shutting down the enjoyment of the majority of the citizens.

Why not close down all the airports, shut down the railroads at night and forbid people from being able to use more than one lane of a highway if it passes through a residential neighborhood.

Should the cities be required to turn off all the bright lights at night because some people invent a right to natural darkness?

Never said I was for shutting down all concerts.  But, your points make my case.  All the things you list are things managed and mitigated by nearly all municipal governments and associated authorities.  Do we manage and reduce lights on the shoreline during sea turtle nesting season?  Are airport traffic patterns modified to minimize noise in nearby communities?  When I read this bill, it makes the noise levels subject to the noise ordinance – I don’t see where it shuts them down.  So, help me understand where the “shutdown” is coming from.  As for dismissing the rights of the few to benefit the rights of the many, that is certainly the brand of tyrannical government in my opinion.  Plenty of examples where that practice did not work out too well in America’s past.  My point, again, is the south bank has a legitimate issue.  There is probably a middle ground that would help both sides.   

spuwho

« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2013, 01:00:18 PM »

That's what some people say about global warming. Shut off your coal fired power plant doggone it, you are interfering with my right to clean air.

Clean air
Clean skies
Clean sounds

St Nicholas is saying, turn down your music, you are interfering with my right to clean sound.

Just work out a deal with the Met Park promoters on some boundaries, not a biggie. You don't have to stop the concerts in totality.

It's obviously a negotiation, Redman has staked out his position, Met Park has theirs, now be good neighbors and find a plan that works for both. How hard can that be?

kreger

« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2013, 07:57:42 PM »
Withdrawn! Don Redman and entire city council withdraws this bill.

Dog Walker

« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2013, 11:25:30 AM »
They were struck by a sudden bout of sanity!
When all else fails hug the dog.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2013, 01:24:35 PM »
They were struck by a sudden bout of sanity!

They were struck by a sudden bout of Scott Wilson.  Kudos to the competent one from District 4.
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

Captain Zissou

« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2013, 01:45:59 PM »
As a (probable) future resident of St Nicholas, I hope to help improve the general consensous of the area.  I, for one, will be posted up at one of the many waterfront spaces in the neighborhood enjoying the free music.