Follow Us

Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Councilman Redman wants Metro Park concerts stopped  (Read 7536 times)

mbwright

Re: Councilman Redman wants Metro Park concerts stopped
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2013, 02:26:53 PM »
That approach is too logical, it can't possibly be implemented at Metro Park. Sound checks, conforming to time?   :P  I don't think Redman would understand.

fieldafm

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2013, 03:18:15 PM »
Classic Don Redman answer to everything he doesn't like... Ship them to the Westside. 

Brilliant! 

And if you have some magic beans that sprout money... I could give you 45,000 ways that public money can be spent that have a higher utility than constructing an Ampitheatre in the middle of nowhere. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:21:18 PM by fieldafm »

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2013, 03:25:02 PM »
We need to get Don occupied with biking issues and leave this other stuff alone. Focus on what you are good at.

Josh

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2013, 03:33:08 PM »
We need to get Don occupied with biking issues and leave this other stuff alone. Focus on what you are good at.

I've read people on here in the past say he's good on biking issues, but does anyone know what any of his accomplishments actually are? Where was he when those new intersections on Laura Street butchered the roads for bikers (not to mention drivers too)?

Dog Walker

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2013, 03:41:33 PM »
Tacachale, 

I think the world of your father who has proved what a great person he is over and over again.  Rick Mullaney is a scumbag, lowlife and events happened just as I outlined them.  Dick Suddath and I were the people who put up the money to hire lawyer Sid Ansbacher, fondly known as "The King of Public Records Requests".

An inside source in the courthouse told him about the letter of agreement between Mullaney and the Amphitheater developers that he was not releasing although it was covered by the records requests.  His bar membership could have been affected had we sued him about the issue as it was a clear violation of the Sunshine law.

We dodged a bullet on that amphitheater project.  There have been endless problems with them where they were built both because of noise and behaviors.  We got the Veteran's Arena instead and there is a concert there tomorrow night that everyone will enjoy and that will disturb no one.

We also dodged a major bullet when Mullaney lost the mayor's race.
When all else fails hug the dog.

urban_Savvy

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2013, 03:43:27 PM »
Don should really lobby for the creation of a full time Bike/Ped Coordinator position either in the Mayor's office or the Planning Department. if he's so good at bike issues, why do I not hear more about pushing for this position?

The local bike advocacy groups came together and gifted the Mayor with a bike a few months ago....Ok, well...what has happened since then? Isn't it about time to leverage that good will toward getting something positive done for the community?

Dog Walker

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2013, 03:45:57 PM »
The way we do it at UNF is to run a check beforehand to make sure we're within whatever the proper noise level is. Concerts run until 10 on weekdays and 11 on weekends, after which time we shut them down (we've even pulled the plug before). When we receive noise complaints, my boss, the VP for Student Affairs, sends them a polite response, but make it clear we're not going to do away with concerts (it's a college after all). We've gotten increasing fewer complaints just in the 2 years I've been here, though we've had more events out there.

The restrictions on the Southside are pretty fair and easily followed; one would expect there to be fewer restrictions downtown, especially with the hours.

Common sense solutions don't always satisfy everyone so your VP is reacting very wisely.

Dog Walker

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2013, 03:50:45 PM »
Redman's advocacy of bicycle issues might hurt them given his reputation with the rest of the Council and Administration.

tufsu1

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2013, 04:38:37 PM »
Don should really lobby for the creation of a full time Bike/Ped Coordinator position either in the Mayor's office or the Planning Department. if he's so good at bike issues, why do I not hear more about pushing for this position?

The local bike advocacy groups came together and gifted the Mayor with a bike a few months ago....Ok, well...what has happened since then? Isn't it about time to leverage that good will toward getting something positive done for the community?

That is in process

Tacachale

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2013, 05:13:13 PM »
Tacachale, 

I think the world of your father who has proved what a great person he is over and over again.  Rick Mullaney is a scumbag, lowlife and events happened just as I outlined them.  Dick Suddath and I were the people who put up the money to hire lawyer Sid Ansbacher, fondly known as "The King of Public Records Requests".

An inside source in the courthouse told him about the letter of agreement between Mullaney and the Amphitheater developers that he was not releasing although it was covered by the records requests.  His bar membership could have been affected had we sued him about the issue as it was a clear violation of the Sunshine law.

We dodged a bullet on that amphitheater project.  There have been endless problems with them where they were built both because of noise and behaviors.  We got the Veteran's Arena instead and there is a concert there tomorrow night that everyone will enjoy and that will disturb no one.

We also dodged a major bullet when Mullaney lost the mayor's race.

Yes, I recall you guys threatening to file all manner of lawsuits to get your way. Nothing ever came from any of that, let alone "prosecution". And it was certainly not the reason the project was abandoned, though of course the misinformation campaign played a big part in draining the political will.

So what did we lose out on? Literally hundreds of shows who book upper-mid size venues, who currently skip Jax because there's no suitable facility in town for them. Thousands of people enjoying our downtown every year. Unfortunately, some people don't understand that a vibrant downtown will be, well, vibrant.

As for Rick, I'll say that I totally disagree with your characterization of him, and leave it at that.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Floridakrakker

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2013, 05:18:23 PM »
Redmon is a FOOL!

kreger

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2013, 06:06:44 PM »
Let's get rid of him now, give Scott his chance already.

Scott A Wilson

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2013, 07:26:17 PM »
Classic Don Redman answer to everything he doesn't like... Ship them to the Westside. 

Brilliant! 

And if you have some magic beans that sprout money... I could give you 45,000 ways that public money can be spent that have a higher utility than constructing an Ampitheatre in the middle of nowhere.
I think Scott Wilson asked that question. It is all about open dialogue.

tufsu1

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2013, 10:12:23 PM »
^ Thanks for coming on here to seek public comment Scott....just wish this had been done prior to filing the legislation

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2013, 10:48:58 PM »

Tucson's first Cyclovia, in AZ. / Bogota Sunday!

Perhaps we could show Redman the Spanish Cyclovia concept. Basically shutting down a few major arterials that are lightly used on weekends or Sundays. Thousands of bicycles hit the trail and it is awesome.

An example would be to shut the eastbound side of the Arlington Expressway, for 6 to 8 hours. Tie that to closure of Bay and AP Randolph for the same period and watch the venue explode. Skates, bikes, skateboards, wheelchairs, pogo sticks, puppies and great danes... it's a wonderful way to know your city.
"The whole point of BRT is the lower cost, right? Hartford, CT just received FTA New Starts funding for a BRT system.

The capital cost is $572 million for all of 9.4 miles.

Oh, did I mention it is to run on an abandoned rail ROW?"