Friday, July 25, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Councilman Redman wants Metro Park concerts stopped  (Read 8806 times)

Noone

Re: Councilman Redman wants Metro Park concerts stopped
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 06:02:39 AM »
Scott Wilson, When is the next neighborhood meeting at the Mudville Grille? Are they still meeting there? isn't the Plan an expanded Entertainment District for Downtown?

Should this be on the top of the list now for the JCCI- Vision Study? Or will it be legislatively removed before the voices are heard and the fat lady sings?

By the way when is the kayak logo going up at Palmer Terrace Park?

Ben Warner, JCCI we need to kayak Downtown before 2025.

fieldafm

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 07:14:18 AM »
I hear the fireworks downtown at my house on 4th of July and New Years.  I hear the music from Jazz Fest for three straight days.  I also hear train horns late at night and early in the morning.  Last night my neighbor's dog barked from 11pm to 12am.

Councilman Redman, please introduce legislation to ban fireworks, freight trains, jazz and dogs.  Our peaceful, quiet community cannot be overrun by such miscreants.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:33:33 AM by fieldafm »

Scott A Wilson

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 07:15:21 AM »
The Metro Park bill is about the noise. The decibel level, the length of the concerts etc. If someone has a suggestion to reduce the noise level for the Southbank residents at a reasonable cost I would love to hear it. What is an acceptable decibel level for those who must go to work early the next morning? How loud is too loud while you are in your own home even in the afternoon? Some have children that attend school on Monday morning. I imagine you will hear from the supporters at the public hearing because they are the ones who have to live with it.This has been an issue for a long time and to date no reasonable solutions have been identified.

fieldafm

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 07:28:56 AM »
You know what would be a better noise reducing measure for Southbank residents?

http://residentnews.net/2012/12/05/quiet-zones-solution-historic-districts-train-horns/

This affects residents EVERY DAY.  Not just 12 times a year(or less b/c we currently do not enjoy 12 concerts a year at Met Park).

fieldafm

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 07:37:36 AM »
If you are going to stop concerts at Metro Park, please introduce a companion bill that also finds money to do something with a now defunct Ampitheatre. 

Or perhaps Councilman Redman should stay the hell out of the park regulating business, because he is just awful at it. 

Scott A Wilson

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 07:39:41 AM »

http://residentnews.net/2012/12/05/quiet-zones-solution-historic-districts-train-horns/

This affects residents EVERY DAY.  Not just 12 times a year(or less b/c we currently do not enjoy 12 concerts a year at Met Park).
Train horns and concerts are completely different issues.

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 07:47:52 AM »
The Metro Park bill is about the noise. The decibel level, the length of the concerts etc. If someone has a suggestion to reduce the noise level for the Southbank residents at a reasonable cost I would love to hear it. What is an acceptable decibel level for those who must go to work early the next morning? How loud is too loud while you are in your own home even in the afternoon? Some have children that attend school on Monday morning. I imagine you will hear from the supporters at the public hearing because they are the ones who have to live with it.This has been an issue for a long time and to date no reasonable solutions have been identified.

Why is it every time there's some asinine bullshit going on around here, it boils down to one or two homeowners being behind it, who think that because they dropped relative chump change on a house that is tangentially affected, that allows them to control millions of dollars of other people's economic activity? You live in a city. There will be noise. If you don't like it, then the cost-effective solution is to move to Green Cove Springs, Starke, Waldo, Macclenny, Fernandina, or any number of of the outlying small towns where nothing happens. But that solution is never on the table, is it? You guys always want the rest of the world to conform to you, not vice-versa. You're seriously going to shut down an entire public venue that the rest of the city enjoys, and that no doubt was there long before you were, because you don't like the noise a couple days a year?

What's next? Move next to the airport and complain about the planes?

fieldafm

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 07:48:22 AM »

Train horns and concerts are completely different issues.

Noone

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 07:57:01 AM »
Scott,
Can we move some of the table and chairs from Hemming Plaza to Palmer Terrace Park? Where are the chairs and tables from Hemming Plaza going? What was the cost to purchase them and have them installed originally?

We are getting bids for a concrete slab for the restored clock. How much are the bids?  How about getting a bid for a slab or two for relocating a couple of the tables and chairs for Palmer Terrace Park.

What a benefit for this kayak Park location that still needs its logo.

Ben Warner- JCCI, we need to Kayak Downtown before 2025

TheCat

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 08:03:14 AM »

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 08:30:24 AM »
This bill is ridiculos. Maybe a rock concert going till 11pm on Sunday is a little much, but to shut the whole thing down. Come on now. The other night there was major banging and clanging at the port of Talleyrand that was literally shaking my house in Springfield all night long. I think we need to shut down the port. Now how dumb did that just sound?

tufsu1

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 08:35:13 AM »
The Metro Park bill is about the noise. The decibel level, the length of the concerts etc. If someone has a suggestion to reduce the noise level for the Southbank residents at a reasonable cost I would love to hear it.

build a sound wall along the river side of the ampitheater stage....of course that would detract from the views I guess...see links regarding issues in Tampa

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/06/10/Tampabay/Noise_complaints_at_t.shtml

http://www.tampabay.com/news/environment/airquality/article816010.ece

http://www.greenboarstudio.com/uploads/001-SoundWallRandD.pdf

btw...I'm willing to bet the sound from Monster Jam next month will be pretty loud too (especially given the stadium's new sound system)....perhaps we should shut that down too.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:37:42 AM by tufsu1 »

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 08:38:48 AM »
I'm sure that I've read it on here somewhere before, but didn't the original plans for metropark contain a design for a real amphitheater?

And weren't those original plans deterred by the same people across the river for the same reasons, noise? 

Dogwalker, I believe, was part of the group that was against it, but I could be mistaken.

I couldn't dig up any additional info from the search bar, so if anyone can pull the relevant thread, I think it would help the current discussion.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

avonjax

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »
The problem with Jacksonville is there are many people who want to live in a small town and want to keep Jacksonville a small town. The only way there will never be disturbed citizens by noise traffic or whatever is if we move all bars, restaurants and entertainment venues into the outlying areas maybe someplace like Cecil Field. Or suggestion number two, they could move to a suburb where there are no venues to worry about.  It seems, as of late, every time someone wants to open a new restaurant or bar or whatever that has an impact on a handful of residents, there is a public outcry. (Park & King, Avondale and Southbank, which is nothing new. They have been complaining for years.) When I lived in Avondale I could hear the Robert E Lee band and even the kids on football night. It was really loud. I loved it. I have lived closer to a couple of these areas and I accepted the noise because I knew it was part of the fabric of the neighborhood. Also Orsay cars lined both sides of my street but it made me happy to know a thriving business was a block or so from my house. And a very NICE thriving business. There were others on the street that HATED it. Because of a car parked in front of your house on a public street? Give me a break.

Part of the problem with all this hysteria about these neighborhoods is twenty years ago or so Jacksonville was so  stagnant that these problems didn't exist. Park & King was a derelict area trying to comeback, (I find a little noise and a lot of pretty decent people a little better than the male hustlers that used to roam the street every night). Avondale could depend on local business that were mostly non-restaurant to fill the store fronts. But as times have changed it seems that restaurants are the main staple that can survive for any period of time. I personally hate that real estate offices have taken a couple of sites that most Avondale residents will never use. Southbank residents have been complaining for as long as I can remember. They fought the amphitheater and won and now complain about 12 musical events a year at Metro. Sorry I don't feel sorry for you.

I agree with the person that posted move to a small town.

And Don Redman? He is the perfect person to keep Jacksonville small town. Please for the love of your city boot this guy out. I know it's awful to judge a person you have never met on their look and voice, but this guy is a humorless tool!

avonjax

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 08:57:50 AM »
I'm sure that I've read it on here somewhere before, but didn't the original plans for metropark contain a design for a real amphitheater?

And weren't those original plans deterred by the same people across the river for the same reasons, noise? 

Dogwalker, I believe, was part of the group that was against it, but I could be mistaken.

I couldn't dig up any additional info from the search bar, so if anyone can pull the relevant thread, I think it would help the current discussion.

You are correct. It was going to be way smaller than the Tampa one.
And are people complaining in St Augustine?