Author Topic: Is it time for an Art Walk makeover?  (Read 5960 times)

TheCat

• Metro Jacksonville
Re: Is it time for an Art Walk makeover?
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »
Tufsu, I think you are referring to me. Don't miss the greater point I'm making in the midst of the hilarity of my statements regarding the survey.

My point, in case you missed it, DVI is idiotic.

They're asking meaningless and obvious questions. Hence, my brilliant example of what a Jaguars user survey would look like if DVI created it.

Your solution: Stop complaining and get out there and do something. Good option, right?

DVI called the police on me 4 separate times because I/we were street performing and that was not allowed. All street performance art is banned including the drum circles and the belly dancers and the other random articulations of art that DVI has deemed inoperable with their event.

They would rather have a Ford set up in Hemming Plaza with an announcer blaring contests times on loud speakers then allowing people to freely engage with others. And, that makes sense. They're operating from a gimmicky/Survy Monkey mentality. They don't believe in our core or our people enough to think that we can independently and organically create and develop amazing things.

FYI, DVI did not have the right to stop us and it was a little fun watching the cops struggle on how to handle our street art. I fought a bit. Even refused them a few times. They would invariably come back and I would pack up out of respect for them and trepidation that there was some kind of weird legal technicality that would allow them to press charges. DVI, seeing people engage with us and like what we were doing would still send cops to shut us down.

I felt like I was dealing with impetuous snooty high schoolers. I tried to have reasoned conversations and those would devolve into weird temper tantrums. 

So, when I read things like DVI has decided to keep “art as part of the art walk.” Or, that they finally think food trucks are cool (kind of). I don’t have the mind to think they're making progress. The culture of DVI needs to be challenged to go deeper and to be smarter but that’s not their role. I don't think they can do it. They've proven that they are not leaders but reluctant and obsructive followers.

John P

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 05:52:15 PM »
So, when I read things like DVI has decided to keep “art as part of the art walk.” Or, that they finally think food trucks are cool (kind of). I don’t have the mind to think they're making progress. The culture of DVI needs to be challenged to go deeper and to be smarter but that’s not their role. I don't think they can do it. They've proven that they are not leaders but reluctant and obsructive followers.

I think executive director needs to go.  Things usually start at the top.

tufsu1

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
that's for the DVI board to decide