Saturday, August 30, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: JetBlue applies to DOT to serve JAX - DCA (Washington Reagan) non-stop.  (Read 1444 times)

Gators312

Last month the DOT established proceeding to reallocated of two former Spirit Airlines within perimeter (1,250 miles) Air-21 slot exemptions at DCA.

Under the Air-21 rules the departments selection criteria consist of;
•   New entrant air carriers or limited incumbent air carriers (hold fewer than 40 slots at DCA)
•   Service to communities without existing nonstop air transportation to DCA.
•   Service to smaller communities.
•   Provide competitive nonstop air service on a monopoly DCA route.
•   Produce competitive consumer benefits including low fares.

Applications were due yesterday December 5, 2012.

Following were received:

JetBlue
JetBlue proposes to introduce low fare competitive service in the DCA - Jacksonville, FL market, currently a monopoly market operated by US Airways the dominant carrier at DCA. JetBlue proposes to utilize 150-seat A320 equipment.

DCA-JAX 0800-1010
JAX-DCA 1745-1955

JetBlue states the plan to introduce competitive service in this market should provide consumers average airfare savings of 20-30% based on its experience with other DCA markets.

Southwest Airlines
Southwest applies for the slot exemptions in order to provide low-fare service between DCA and Houston, one of the largest and most over-priced monopoly routes at DCA. Southwest proposes to utilize 737 equipment with service to Hobby airport along with beyond connectivity to potentially 42 additional cities.

HOU-DCA 1025-1420
DCA-HOU 1500-1720

Southwest projects its single flight would generate $19.1mil in annual consumer savings over current market fares charged by United Airlines.

US Airways
US Airways, proposes to inaugurate the first-ever nonstop service between DCA and Oklahoma City using 99-seat 2-class E190 equipment.

DCA-OKC 1350-1610
OKC-DCA 1640-2030

US Airways states its proposal fully meets the departments goals as it would not replicate current service, but would provide access to a community without existing nonstop service to DCA.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5628616/

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
Re: JetBlue applies to DOT to serve JAX - DCA (Washington Reagan) non-stop.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 11:41:06 AM »
Sweet!

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 04:32:58 PM »
Awesome! I've always wanted LCC competition for US Air in this space (and for United to Dulles) and this would be perfect. Although, for the last 4 months US Air has been relatively cheap at $200 rt. Hope this pans out!

ben says

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 04:42:57 PM »
Great addition. The more flights the merrier.

ProjectMaximus

Back in January or February, Jetblue was awarded slots at DCA that had to be relinquished by US Air because of its merger with AA. At the time, Jetblue reiterated its interest in a JAX-DCA route.

Haven't heard anything since...I'm waiting on pins and needles for this. Anyone know anything?

ben says

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 05:36:51 PM »
http://members.jacksonville.com/business/2014-08-19/story/jetblue-adds-two-jacksonville-washington-dc-flights

JetBlue adds two Jacksonville-Washington, D.C., flights
By Roger Bull Tue, Aug 19, 2014 @ 1:17 pm | updated Tue, Aug 19, 2014 @ 3:46 pm

JetBlue Airways on Tuesday announced two new nonstop flights a day between Jacksonville and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. The flights, which launch Dec. 18, will leave Jacksonville International Airport each day at 9:10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.

This is awesome! No interest in DC, but it's a great international hopping off point, especially for African travel  :D

Flight times are great...not too early not too late...good news!

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 06:27:50 PM »
Had my first JetBlue experience last week from Anchorage to Seattle. Must say I was very impressed. NIce plane, first checked bag free, lots of leg room. No complaints.

spuwho

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 06:38:52 PM »
My only beef with JB is when you have an evening connection to JAX through NYC.  Any delays in the day aggregate there and there were times when my 7:30 flight to JIA didn't get wheels up until 10PM.

Very irritating.

ben says

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 07:28:30 PM »
My only beef with JB is when you have an evening connection to JAX through NYC.  Any delays in the day aggregate there and there were times when my 7:30 flight to JIA didn't get wheels up until 10PM.

Very irritating.

I too find this issue irritating. Really, I don't like anything incoming JAX on JB after 5 p.m. Which is why I'm happy w/ the flight times posted (albeit we haven't seen what the incoming 2x times are).

JayBird

• Jersey born, live between Fleming Island&SoHo, NYC
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 07:34:34 PM »

Very irritating.

As someone who does the JFK/LGA to JAX 30-40 times a year, this is actually an NYC region issue, not JB. I love getting JB bc they try their hardest to get out whereas Delta is quick to cancel flights. I have been on time maybe 3 or 4 times (yes only about 10%) and at least half of my Delta flights have been cancelled, whereas I was only cancelled on JB once, due to a winter storm and they paid for a hotel for the night. So many flights connect in NYC that they really need to take away landing slots or expand a nearby airport to international travel standards.
Proud supporter of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Whenever I’ve been at a decision point, and there was an easy way and a hard way, the hard way always turned out to be the right way." ~Shahid Khan

http://www.facebook.com/jerzbird http://www.twitter.com/JasonBird80

ben says

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 07:52:04 PM »

Very irritating.

As someone who does the JFK/LGA to JAX 30-40 times a year, this is actually an NYC region issue, not JB. I love getting JB bc they try their hardest to get out whereas Delta is quick to cancel flights. I have been on time maybe 3 or 4 times (yes only about 10%) and at least half of my Delta flights have been cancelled, whereas I was only cancelled on JB once, due to a winter storm and they paid for a hotel for the night. So many flights connect in NYC that they really need to take away landing slots or expand a nearby airport to international travel standards.

Same boat. JAX-LGA is my #1 route, about 2 dozen times a year.

I have great luck w/ LGA.

Whenever I fly out of JFK, I have an issue. I realize it's not JB's "fault"..