Author Topic: Live blogging DIA  (Read 61609 times)

tufsu1

Re: Live blogging DIA
« Reply #225 on: February 13, 2013, 09:09:59 PM »
I believe they decided to study Hemming a bit more....which means HART is unlikely to be up by One Spark

Noone

« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2013, 10:09:14 PM »

- There is consideration to eliminate the existing riverwalk near the school board office to stop fishing and illegal parking. If this happens, it would be built in a way to where it could easily be extended at a later date.

This is not good.

xplanner

« Reply #227 on: February 13, 2013, 11:07:59 PM »
A lot of time, money and energy has been expended in planning for the redevelopment of the JEA Southside Generating Station, which is the rightful easterly terminus of the Southbank Riverwalk. The failure to extend the Riverwalk in "front" of the School Board Building in this new design potentially jeopardizes the success of that redevelopment, in that it may remove an offsetting pedestrian mobility feature that was envisioned in the Downtown Concurrency Exception Area. DDRB will need to vet these design changes against previous commitments and may have to remind the DCSB that they are obligated to abide by the same legislation as their private sector neighbors.

dougskiles

« Reply #228 on: February 14, 2013, 05:52:05 AM »
^I am equally concerned about these changes to the riverwalk design, and apparently with no community input.

I also heard them say that there will be NO connection from the east side of the Main Street Bridge to the riverwalk simply because the hotel doesn't want too much activity behind their property.

In this case, someone walking (or running as I did yesterday right after the meeting) on that side of the bridge will see the riverwalk and have no perceivable access to it.  They would either have to go to Riverplace Blvd and then all the way down to the Strand/Peninsula to cross (which has it's own issues - lack of signage, sidewalk) OR cross back under the expressway, go back up the bridge, and use the sidewalk to Friendship Fountain and then back under the bridge.

And again, these decisions are being made with no community input and because of ONE private property owner.

I understand everyone is anxious to get these projects started, however, these are decisions we will be stuck with for many years to come.  If they need another 6 months to get this right, by all means, take it.

Noone

« Reply #229 on: February 14, 2013, 06:23:29 AM »
^+1

comncense

• Facebook
« Reply #230 on: February 14, 2013, 08:31:29 AM »
Pretty impressed to hear that Mr. Ford is a downtown resident. Hopefully this will shape his ideas on how transportation downtown can vastly be improved.

xplanner

« Reply #231 on: February 14, 2013, 10:42:26 PM »
It is a head-scratcher that we mandate as part of new development approvals along the river the participation by private landowners in the continuation and construction cost of Riverwalk elements, while caving-in to existing property owners who choose to "opt-out" of government-funded improvements to government-owned infrastructure that in fact adds to the value of those properties that are getting the free public ride. Fortunately the DDRB is obligated to review the new Riverwalk design and they do have the authority to reject all or part of the design.The opportunity for public input on these significant functional changes is not lost. 

dougskiles

« Reply #232 on: February 15, 2013, 06:42:38 AM »
Here is what I'm talking about (scroll right to see the entire image):

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2013, 08:52:05 AM »
What are the laws for riverfront access?  At the beach, the public has access below the high tide line.  If the riverwalk is built out over open water, like a dock, can the property owners block the construction like that?  Do they own the river too?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #234 on: February 15, 2013, 09:47:45 AM »
When I lived at the Peninsula, we would just jump off the onramp into the Crown Plaza's grass and then walk home on the riverwalk.  I no longer live over there, but I imagine other people are still doing the same thing.

This would be the 2nd or 3rd time the schoolboard property has obstucted the public good.  If they had allowed an easement through their parking lot, at least a portion of the San Marco Riverfront District project would have been built before the bust, which would make continuing to develop that parcel much easier.  They refused to sell their mulit-million dollar property despite the school system being woefully underfunded. 

They have no business being on the river, so I think any objections they have should be invalid.

PeeJayEss

« Reply #235 on: February 15, 2013, 02:56:59 PM »
^I am equally concerned about these changes to the riverwalk design, and apparently with no community input.

I also heard them say that there will be NO connection from the east side of the Main Street Bridge to the riverwalk simply because the hotel doesn't want too much activity behind their property.

In this case, someone walking (or running as I did yesterday right after the meeting) on that side of the bridge will see the riverwalk and have no perceivable access to it.  They would either have to go to Riverplace Blvd and then all the way down to the Strand/Peninsula to cross (which has it's own issues - lack of signage, sidewalk) OR cross back under the expressway, go back up the bridge, and use the sidewalk to Friendship Fountain and then back under the bridge.

And again, these decisions are being made with no community input and because of ONE private property owner.

I understand everyone is anxious to get these projects started, however, these are decisions we will be stuck with for many years to come.  If they need another 6 months to get this right, by all means, take it.

Who owns and maintains the bulkhead, I wonder (state, fed)? If the Crowne is going to play hardball, the City should phone-a-friend and play it themself. The property is kept dry and accessible by tax dollars, for which the public deserves consideration. Anyway, the better-functioning riverwalk is in the interest of the hotel. Those idiots!

What are the laws for riverfront access?  At the beach, the public has access below the high tide line.  If the riverwalk is built out over open water, like a dock, can the property owners block the construction like that?  Do they own the river too?

I believe the property is private until you hit the water (maybe MLW in this case). Any private docks, etc are built on easements from the state I'd imagine. Not like the beaches where the public owns the land, but there are still some rights. I don't see why this couldn't be done in a way that supersedes the property rights of the hotel.

Noone

« Reply #236 on: February 25, 2013, 06:14:11 PM »
DIA meeting 3/1/13 on 2013-94 first floor city hall at 9am. Open to the Public.
A new Authority.
Embrace it.
Or it
Will Embrace Us.
2009-442-Anyone?

edjax

« Reply #237 on: February 25, 2013, 06:24:06 PM »
Is there a list of all members with their email addresses anywhere?  Thanks

tufsu1

« Reply #238 on: February 25, 2013, 09:55:49 PM »
DIA meeting 3/1/13 on 2013-94 first floor city hall at 9am. Open to the Public.
A new Authority.
Embrace it.
Or it
Will Embrace Us.
2009-442-Anyone?

the purpose is to discuss the mobility fee

Noone

« Reply #239 on: March 01, 2013, 07:16:09 AM »
^2 hours out.

At noon in 2c city hall, Transparancy and Open Government.
On the agenda text messaging.
Speaking at a noticed meeting.