Saturday, November 22, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: MLK may lose off ramps at Pearl & Liberty  (Read 1059 times)

sheclown

MLK may lose off ramps at Pearl & Liberty
« on: October 02, 2012, 04:58:02 AM »
Florida Department of Transportation will be holding a public hearing on October 29th at Grace Baptist Church located at 1553 East 21 Street (open house at 4:30, presentation at 6:30). 

The topic will be the closing of the ramps east and west of MLK at Pearl and Liberty leaving Main Street as the access point.  Justification for this is the outdated ramps (and one could guess the economic cost to update them) and the redundancy of the access points to closely together.

My only concern about this is the traffic from Swisher.  The Liberty off-ramp is right at their door.  That traffic (which is significant at 3:30 when their day is over) would need to be re-routed to Main Street; however, that might be good for those businesses on Main -- the Caribbean restaurant, Family Dollar, the BP on Main, Cottons and the other businesses. 

Project documents are available at selected libraries. 

For Information Contact:
Renee Brinkley, Project Manager
Florida Dept. of Transportation
1109 S. Marion Avenue, MS 2002
Lake City, FL 32025-5874
(386) 961-7392 or (800) 749-2967
Email: renee.brinkley@dot.state.fl.us

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
Re: MLK may lose off ramps at Pearl & Liberty
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 06:31:04 AM »
My concern would be the future of the commercial district off Pearl and the amount of traffic/trucks using residential streets to cross over to Swisher and other businesses.  I don't there's a huge amount of money saved by closing them.  More than likely, it has more to do with spacing than anything else.  My guess is that if they did this, they would probably still have to include service drives the entire length between Boulevard and Liberty.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:45:31 AM »
I wish they wouldnt close them, but the design of those ramps is horrible, weaving movements are quick and fast and most people do not know what a yield sign means.

If_I_Loved_you

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 04:21:38 PM »
I wish they wouldn't close them, but the design of those ramps is horrible, weaving movements are quick and fast and most people do not know what a yield sign means.
I wish I would have said this myself darn! It's like getting off from I95 south at exit 354A you better have great insurance for it's like a death wish. Because people coming from MLK blvd are trying to get on to I95 south it's just crazy!

strider

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 05:53:06 PM »
I think the problem will be that closing them may very well cause more dangerous issues elsewhere.  The ramps are actually just fine.  All it takes is to think a bit, I know that is tough for many drivers as they are busy texting, reading e-mail and the like, but every once in a while is does actually make sense to pay attention to one's driving - like tough ramps going on and off MLK!

If they really  want to do away with those ramps, they need to run a street car system up main and over to liberty.  Given a few good parking options, the Swisher employees will ride rather than drive.  Of course, that does assume we don't lose all those remaining blue collar jobs to India.
"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Patrica, Joe VS the Volcano.

If_I_Loved_you

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 06:36:10 PM »
I think the problem will be that closing them may very well cause more dangerous issues elsewhere.  The ramps are actually just fine.  All it takes is to think a bit, I know that is tough for many drivers as they are busy texting, reading e-mail and the like, but every once in a while is does actually make sense to pay attention to one's driving - like tough ramps going on and off MLK!

If they really  want to do away with those ramps, they need to run a street car system up main and over to liberty.  Given a few good parking options, the Swisher employees will ride rather than drive.  Of course, that does assume we don't lose all those remaining blue collar jobs to India.
But the FDOT hasn't really learned how to build a better road system just look at old St Augustine Rd once you get off I95 South going towards Baptist South Medical Ctr.Try doing this during rush hour it's a true Bitch! I inch along with left blinker on like someone is going to let me in? Then I have to gun it before I'm forced to turn towards I95 North. God what a stupid design! ::)

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 12:14:33 PM »
Well since you sarcastically mentioned it already, may as well voice my observation, drivers in this city are seriously merge-impaired, to the point of absurdity. Just gun it, don't use your blinker (why give information to the enemy), and then slide on in there. About every time I drive on the highway, I see people (usually women drivers, no offense, I'm sure that has nothing at all to do with it) come to a complete stop in the middle of I-95 with their blinker on trying to merge because nobody was willing to do a screeching 70mph-to-15mph brake-slam to let them in. Well duh. In case all of them haven't noticed, that's why your car has more than 1 pedal, try using the one that's not the brake.

Seems like nobody told anyone around here the "big secret": If you want to merge, try this novel concept of going the same speed as the traffic you want to merge with. This is especially ridiculous on the fuller warren bridge, I just warped my damn brake rotors the other day from standing on the pedal, some idiot in a minivan jacked over in front of me after coming up the park street entrance ramp, she couldn't have been going more than 20mph and careens her way into the middle lane of I-95, all while holding what appeared to be a sedate conversation on the phone. Would've just swerved, but had cars in the other lanes. Hope she enjoyed her expensive (to me) phone call.

End rant.

acme54321

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 01:55:40 PM »
Yep, I can't believe how many awful drivers there are around here.  The I-10 split is the worst.  It's always backed up for no other reason but the fact no one knows how to merge.  Then the people that do have to weave all around the grannies going 25 on the interstate, and everyone them thinks you are the asshole.  I want to go the speed limit!

sheclown

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 07:34:08 AM »
It was announced at last night's UC CPAC meeting that the off ramps will remain

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 09:58:40 AM »
That's good news for keeping the trucks from Swisher from possibly driving through residential streets to access MLK.

tufsu1

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 10:32:51 AM »
yes...sorry...guess I could have posted an update a few weeks ago...FDOT is leaving the configuration as is