Follow Us

Thursday, April 17, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Krispy Kreme coming back to the westside!  (Read 8341 times)

Timkin

Re: Krispy Kreme coming back to the westside!
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2013, 11:26:59 AM »
So they replaced a solid brick building that was perfectly serviceable and would have lasted 100 more years with a prefab foam box that will be fully operational in 120 days, which backing out time for equipment installation, hiring and training, etc., means probably 60 or less days for construction? Idiots.

*shakes head...     Chris.. Couldn't agree with you more.   Remember that we live in the demolition capital of the South. ;)

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2013, 11:36:34 AM »
The reason that I began taking pictures of it was when I read about the return and planned demo I began while  it was still boarded up..For my own personal benefit I wanted to have a history of progress in action. 
I deeply regret that we cannot save everything. 

jaxdan3

« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2013, 12:21:05 PM »
The reason that I began taking pictures of it was when I read about the return and planned demo I began while  it was still boarded up..For my own personal benefit I wanted to have a history of progress in action. 
I deeply regret that we cannot save everything.

I really enjoyed following your daily photo updates.  I think if there wasn't a modern Dunkin' Donuts with a drive-thru literally feet away they would have put more consideration into restoring the old building.

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2013, 01:40:42 PM »
You man there is actually people looking at them other than my family and friends?  I really didn't expect that.
There will be more tomorrow  They don't work on the weekends  I try to get over there just before 4 when he knocks off.  That way I have the days destruction  documented.
Thanks for your interest.
Patsy

I-10east

« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2013, 07:01:12 PM »
I guess that some would rather see an old unadorned dilapidated building that's not in use (with more than likely no chance in hell of ever being repaired anyway) than a brand new modern Krispy Kreme building along with a historical sign that's actually worth keeping. Everything can't be treated like a downtown historical renovation project, that's like the old 'chicken salad' argument... 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:35:42 PM by I-10east »

joshuataylor

• Editor
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2013, 01:39:28 PM »
Please tell me they at least kept the old sign...

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2013, 02:06:29 PM »
They are keeping the sign.  (:  It will have to be  fixed, though, since part of it has been broken out for a long time.
If you have FaceBook you can see photos posted on PHOTOS BY BIG CHEESE.  Scroll around for the complete postings.

Timkin

« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2013, 06:16:37 PM »
I guess that some would rather see an old unadorned dilapidated building that's not in use (with more than likely no chance in hell of ever being repaired anyway) than a brand new modern Krispy Kreme building along with a historical sign that's actually worth keeping. Everything can't be treated like a downtown historical renovation project, that's like the old 'chicken salad' argument... 

::)   you tell em, I- 10 

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2013, 12:30:10 AM »
Tuesday I took more pics, of course!  There  is only part of one wall standing.  A lot of the debris has been hauled away.  And it looked like some of the asphalt had been removed.  (I wasn't able to get inside the fence this time.)
Did talk to someone who seemed to be overseeing the project.  He said that in 2 wks everything should be cleared out and the new construction will begin.
I do miss the old building but this promises to be be bigger and better.
I'll continue to watch the progress.

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2013, 09:44:52 PM »
2-8-13:
Today I took pictures of progress!  The lot had been staked for the foundation.  There was rebar and PVC pipe.  It's exciting to see the hint of what is soon to come!

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2013, 07:23:54 PM »
Temporary sign posted today: 
Coming Soon
Krispy Kreme
Doughnuts
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:16:24 PM by BIG CHEESE 723 »

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2013, 06:56:23 AM »

There was nothing wrong with the prior building, if they want to waste money that's certainly their business. I often wonder when I read these responses you post, have you traveled anywhere? The world doesn't work like you think it does, despite your protests this place is really quite backwards.

I-10east

« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2013, 09:16:25 AM »
^^^Boy, that old ass post that I wrote really irked you huh. Do I travel anywhere? Yes. Just last year in 2012 I put a crapload of miles on my car. I REALLY love to visit theme parks for the great coasters and last year I went to...

Holiday World and Indiana Beach in Indiana
Waterville in Gulf Shores, AL
Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio, TX
Six Flags over Georgia in Austell, GA
Six Flags Magic Mountain and Knott's Berry Farm in Cali
Mt Olympus in Wisconsin
Valleyfair! and the Mall of America's Nickelodeon Universe in Minn
Carowinds in Charlotte
Sea World Orlando

Not too mention the tons of other parks that I been to before 2012. I also served in the Army during peace time in KY, COLO, and TX but I still have yet to ever visit out of the USA yet, so if you wanna rag on me about not going anywhere outta the US, then you got me there.

Bottomline that building was an eyesore, and I'm glad that they tore in down. The only halfway 'meh' pseudo-nostalgic thing about it was the green roof. They did the right thing by keeping the sign, and demoing that outdated eyesore of a building. Talking about wondering why do someone read a post, I rather read something that's logical, than typically and unfairly 'Negative Nelly' all the time like many of your posts are. Stay negative my friend.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:35:45 AM by I-10east »

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2013, 09:44:49 AM »
Geez, people, Can't we all just get along?? 
We are talking about a building  I am a great believer in saving historic buildings I honestly don't believe the old KK qualified other than as a piece of nostalgia  I, too, have nostalgic memories.  I will miss the old KK. 
On the other hand I see it as a positive.  A new KK is coming to it's old location.  All of us who have missed our favorite brand of doughnuts are going to be able to get them again on our side of town. (: 
Economy will have another positive for the community and jobs will be open.
I think the sacrifice of the old building is far outweighed by the good that comes with the new. 
And, the relatively blighted area is showing signs of a new upswing.  Lowe's, Walgreens, Dunkin Donuts (ugh), are a promising start to an improvement in that area.

I-10east

« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2013, 10:01:35 AM »
^^^You're preaching to the choir. I don't get the whining and complaining about this situation, IMO it's a win win.