Thursday, July 31, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Traitorous Military "Militia" Group: Trying to Bring Down US Government,  (Read 1509 times)

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/27/military-terror-plot-murd_n_1833435.html

LUDOWICI, Ga. — Four Army soldiers based in southeast Georgia killed a former comrade and his girlfriend to protect an anarchist militia group they formed that stockpiled assault weapons and plotted a range of anti-government attacks, prosecutors told a judge Monday.

Prosecutors in rural Long County, near the sprawling Army post Fort Stewart, said the militia group composed of active duty and former U.S. military members spent at least $87,000 buying guns and bomb components and was serious enough to kill two people – former soldier Michael Roark and his 17-year-old girlfriend, Tiffany York – by shooting them in the woods last December in order to keep its plans secret.

"This domestic terrorist organization did not simply plan and talk," prosecutor Isabel Pauley told a Superior Court judge. "Prior to the murders in this case, the group took action. Evidence shows the group possessed the knowledge, means and motive to carry out their plans."

One of the Fort Stewart soldiers charged in the case, Army Pfc. Michael Burnett, also gave testimony that backed up many of the assertions made by prosecutors. The 26-year-old soldier pleaded guilty Monday to manslaughter, illegal gang activity and other charges. He made a deal to cooperate with prosecutors in their case against the three other soldiers.

Prosecutors said the group called itself F.E.A.R., short for Forever Enduring Always Ready. Pauley said authorities don't know how many members the militia had.

Burnett, 26, said he knew the group's leaders from serving with them at Fort Stewart. He agreed to testify against fellow soldiers Pvt. Isaac Aguigui, identified by prosecutors as the militia's founder and leader, Sgt. Anthony Peden and Pvt. Christopher Salmon.

All are charged by state authorities with malice murder, felony murder, criminal gang activity, aggravated assault and using a firearm while committing a felony. A hearing for the three soldiers was scheduled Thursday.

Prosecutors say Roark, 19, served with the four defendants in the 4th Brigade Combat Team of the Army's 3rd Infantry Division and became involved with the militia. Pauley said the group believed it had been betrayed by Roark, who left the Army two days before he was killed, and decided the ex-soldier and his girlfriend needed to be silenced.

Burnett testified that on the night of Dec. 4, he and the three other soldiers lured Roark and York to some woods a short distance from the Army post under the guise that they were going target shooting. He said Peden shot Roark's girlfriend in the head while she was trying to get out of her car. Salmon, he said, made Roark get on his knees and shot him twice in the head. Burnett said Aguigui ordered the killings.

"A loose end is the way Isaac put it," Burnett said.

Aguigui's attorney, Daveniya Fisher, did not immediately return a phone call from The Associated Press. Attorneys for Peden and Salmon both declined to comment Monday.

Also charged in the killings is Salmon's wife, Heather Salmon. Her attorney, Charles Nester, did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Pauley said Aguigui funded the militia using $500,000 in insurance and benefit payments from the death of his pregnant wife a year ago. Aguigui was not charged in his wife's death, but Pauley told the judge her death was "highly suspicious."

She said Aguigui used the money to buy $87,000 worth of semiautomatic assault rifles, other guns and bomb components that were recovered from the accused soldiers' homes and from a storage locker. He also used the insurance payments to buy land for his militia group in Washington state, Pauley said.

In a videotaped interview with military investigators, Pauley said, Aguigui called himself "the nicest cold-blooded murderer you will ever meet." He used the Army to recruit militia members, who wore distinctive tattoos that resemble an anarchy symbol, she said. Prosecutors say they have no idea how many members belong to the group.

"All members of the group were on active-duty or were former members of the military," Pauley said. "He targeted soldiers who were in trouble or disillusioned."

The prosecutor said the militia group had big plans. It plotted to take over Fort Stewart by seizing its ammunition control point and talked of bombing the Forsyth Park fountain in nearby Savannah, she said. In Washington state, she added, the group plotted to bomb a dam and poison the state's apple crop. Ultimately, prosecutors said, the militia's goal was to overthrow the government and assassinate the president.

The Army brought charges against the four accused soldiers in connection with the slayings of Roark and York in March, but has yet to act on them. Fort Stewart spokesman Kevin Larson said he could not comment immediately on the militia accusations that emerged in civilian court Monday.

District Attorney Tom Durden said his office has been sharing information with federal authorities, but no charges have been filed in federal court. Jim Durham, an assistant U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Georgia, would not comment on whether a case is pending.
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Courts martial... and execute if guilty.  >:(
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
Must be something in that muddy, Georgia water....

From last year:

Four Georgia men in their mid-sixties to early seventies were plotting a biological weapon attack on American cities including Atlanta, according to a statement released by the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Northern District of Georgia. Scott Shane reports on the significant details, including what was allegedly said in a conversation secretly recorded by an FBI informant:

"There is no way for us, as militiamen, to save this country, to save Georgia, without doing something that's highly, highly illegal: murder," one of those charged, Frederick Thomas, 73, of Cleveland, Ga., was recorded telling the informant. "When it comes time to saving the Constitution, that means some people have got to die," he said.

Another of the men, Samuel J. Crump, 68, of Toccoa, Ga., is accused of saying he wanted to make 10 pounds of ricin and disperse it in Atlanta and other cities, as well as loosing it from a car traveling on Interstate highways. Ricin, made from the castor bean, is a potent toxin, though it is not generally believed to be effective for killing large numbers of people. The others arrested were Dan Roberts, 67, and Ray H. Adams, 65, both of Toccoa, the Justice Department said.

If all this is accurate, count me gobsmacked that once again, there is a right-wing fringe group that thinks a terrorist attack carried out by U.S. citizens and targeting various federal officials would somehow result in less government power over Americans. What they're alleged to have planned would be evil regardless of its effect, of course. But it seems so strange, and therefore noteworthy, that after witnessing the aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, anyone, unhinged would-be terrorists included, would conclude that another attack would enhance constitutional government.

The advanced age of the alleged plotters is very unusual too.

As yet it is unclear how large a role the FBI played in their alleged misdeeds. As Julian Sanchez recently wrote after the bureau egged on and set up a would be jihadist, "One possible motive for these elaborate and highly publicized stings is that, whether or not the particular people they indict would have moved from rage to action without prompting, the steady stream of news reports will eventually force any candidate for jihad to assume that an 'Al Qaeda recruiter' who approaches them is much more likely to be an FBI informant or undercover agent than a genuine operative." The same logic would seem to apply to Oklahoma City-style, home grown right-wing terrorism. 

Also worth remarking upon is the last line of the government's press release. "Members of the public are reminded that the criminal complaints contain only allegations," it states. "A defendant is presumed innocent of the charges and it will be the government's burden to prove a defendant's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt at trial." Isn't it welcome and unexpected to see federal officials stressing the guarantee of due process while discussing an accused terrorist? And because the defendants sound as though they're white right-wingers, as opposed to Muslims, I suppose there won't be any populist uprising against their being held in an American rather than a foreign prison, or their being tried in federal courts

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/11/grumpy-old-terrorists-the-fbi-says-4-seniors-plotted-bio-attack/247738/
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

buckethead

Silly rabbits: trix are for kids.

In order to affect our current government, one must do so from the inside. They should have become a Primary dealer.

subro

Must be something in that muddy, Georgia water....

From last year:

Four Georgia men in their mid-sixties to early seventies were plotting a biological weapon attack on American cities including Atlanta, according to a statement released by the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Northern District of Georgia. Scott Shane reports on the significant details, including what was allegedly said in a conversation secretly recorded by an FBI informant:

"There is no way for us, as militiamen, to save this country, to save Georgia, without doing something that's highly, highly illegal: murder," one of those charged, Frederick Thomas, 73, of Cleveland, Ga., was recorded telling the informant. "When it comes time to saving the Constitution, that means some people have got to die," he said.

Another of the men, Samuel J. Crump, 68, of Toccoa, Ga., is accused of saying he wanted to make 10 pounds of ricin and disperse it in Atlanta and other cities, as well as loosing it from a car traveling on Interstate highways. Ricin, made from the castor bean, is a potent toxin, though it is not generally believed to be effective for killing large numbers of people. The others arrested were Dan Roberts, 67, and Ray H. Adams, 65, both of Toccoa, the Justice Department said.

If all this is accurate, count me gobsmacked that once again, there is a right-wing fringe group that thinks a terrorist attack carried out by U.S. citizens and targeting various federal officials would somehow result in less government power over Americans. What they're alleged to have planned would be evil regardless of its effect, of course. But it seems so strange, and therefore noteworthy, that after witnessing the aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, anyone, unhinged would-be terrorists included, would conclude that another attack would enhance constitutional government.

The advanced age of the alleged plotters is very unusual too.

As yet it is unclear how large a role the FBI played in their alleged misdeeds. As Julian Sanchez recently wrote after the bureau egged on and set up a would be jihadist, "One possible motive for these elaborate and highly publicized stings is that, whether or not the particular people they indict would have moved from rage to action without prompting, the steady stream of news reports will eventually force any candidate for jihad to assume that an 'Al Qaeda recruiter' who approaches them is much more likely to be an FBI informant or undercover agent than a genuine operative." The same logic would seem to apply to Oklahoma City-style, home grown right-wing terrorism. 

Also worth remarking upon is the last line of the government's press release. "Members of the public are reminded that the criminal complaints contain only allegations," it states. "A defendant is presumed innocent of the charges and it will be the government's burden to prove a defendant's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt at trial." Isn't it welcome and unexpected to see federal officials stressing the guarantee of due process while discussing an accused terrorist? And because the defendants sound as though they're white right-wingers, as opposed to Muslims, I suppose there won't be any populist uprising against their being held in an American rather than a foreign prison, or their being tried in federal courts

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/11/grumpy-old-terrorists-the-fbi-says-4-seniors-plotted-bio-attack/247738/

Here's a good article that speaks to the arrest of the Waffle House Terrorists and it isn't as black and white as it seemed.

http://www.esquire.com/features/waffle-house-terrorists-0212?click=main_sr

Dog Walker

They way to overthrow the government of the United States is from the inside, the way the Koch brothers are doing it.
When all else fails hug the dog.

wsansewjs

They way to overthrow the government of the United States is from the inside, the way the Koch brothers are doing it.

Known as MONEY!

-Josh
"When I take over JTA, the PCT'S will become artificial reefs and thus serve a REAL purpose. - OCKLAWAHA"

"Stephen intends on running for office in the next election (2014)." - Stephen Dare

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub

:o ::)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

buckethead

I can't argue against DW's post. If we are to be honest, we must admit that which is evident. Do the Koch Bros own the government? Only those portions which they own and operate.

It's a big pie. Not one entity controls the whole enchilada. It's a mixture of disparate and similar entities with various interests. Sometimes competing and other times in lock step. The one similarity is the competition for largess at the expense of the taxpayer and future taxpayers. (That is the middle class for those who did not know)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub

I can't argue against DW's post. If we are to be honest, we must admit that which is evident. Do the Koch Bros own the government? Only those portions which they own and operate.

It's a big pie. Not one entity controls the whole enchilada. It's a mixture of disparate and similar entities with various interests. Sometimes competing and other times in lock step. The one similarity is the competition for largess at the expense of the taxpayer and future taxpayers. (That is the middle class for those who did not know)

Even if I were to concede truth to this (which I do not...) Then DW should include alllllllllllllllll the other operatives similar to the evil Koch bros... on both sides of the aisle.

buckethead

Re: Traitorous Military "Militia" Group: Trying to Bring Down US Government,
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 01:49:41 PM »
Here's my thing: In trying to prove other's beliefs to be false or predicated on half truths, I often found myself denying facts which support my "side " of an issue.

I honestly just want the truth, and everyone's version of the truth is different. At best, I can ask for intellectual honesty. To ask for it, I must give it.
the Koch Brothers are indeed policy movers and shifters. The list is long.

I do realize there are those who see the Koch brothers in this light while ignoring those who seem to adhere more toward their ideological leanings. Their bad, not mine.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 01:57:05 PM »
Welcome to the American Taliban boys, where facts dont matter!  Just what you feel in your bones.
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 02:17:38 PM »
To ask for it, I must give it.
the Koch Brothers are indeed policy movers and shifters.

Movers and shifters?  Sounds scary!  It certainly is a far cry from DW's emotional exaggeration of accusing them of trying to overthrow the government... and you to agree with it... ::)

buckethead

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 02:40:44 PM »
I don't agree they are trying to overthrow the government, but they do use the government to advance their personal aims, including but not limited to financial and ideological goals.

If we thought really hard, we could name a few Liberal/progressive persons and entities which do the same thing.

Mostly, these folks are angling for money and or market share protection. Ideology is always secondary, if it exists at all.

Dog Walker

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 02:53:09 PM »
To ask for it, I must give it.
the Koch Brothers are indeed policy movers and shifters.

Movers and shifters?  Sounds scary!  It certainly is a far cry from DW's emotional exaggeration of accusing them of trying to overthrow the government... and you to agree with it... ::)

I should have said "takeover", not "overthrow".

There is something terribly ironic about "Citizens United" as the title of the Supreme Court decision that allows unlimited money to be spent on political messages by corporations.
When all else fails hug the dog.