Monday, July 28, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Looking for Hookers at 9th and Main  (Read 11521 times)

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
Looking for Hookers at 9th and Main
« on: February 02, 2008, 01:10:18 PM »
This blog post is from deadgirlsdontdance.com.  The story unfolded at the bus stop at 9th and Main in front of Popeye's (Or at least, i am pretty sure it did)  The blogger, Janice X, is pretty freaking hilarious and if you have the context of where she is writing from, makes some great incidental points about the change in the neighborhood as well as the on the ground reality of bus service in Jax.

http://www.deadgirlsdontdance.com/a-case-of-mistaken-identity/

A Case of Mistaken Identity

My trip home from work this evening was just delightful. Some crazy old guy tried to pick me up at the bus stop. He hobbled up to me and told me he had $300, and he wanted to get a room and a bottle of vodka, and that I was beautiful and he would be really nice to me if I would join him. I just stood there aghast for a moment, partly because I was so surprised that he looked clean and wasn’t smelly.

I suppose he could have gotten the wrong idea from the fact that I was lounging against a wall on a street corner in an area of town that long ago was notorious for the availability of streetwalking prostitutes, but HONESTLY. The hookers relocated something like a decade ago, I believe. I just got off work from a restaurant kitchen, and was dressed accordingly.

(I think it’s a sad commentary on the state of the oldest profession in this town if a woman wearing food-stained jeans and t-shirt can be mistaken for a hooker, even in a run-down neighborhood, but that’s a topic for another day.)

I gave the old man a dirty look and told him I was just waiting for a bus, then pointedly looked away. He didn’t take the hint. The crazies never do. He apparently felt the need to explain himself.

“My name is Bob. I’m 65 years old. You know about any apartments for rent? I just got throwed out ’cause my girlfriend went to jail. She was my girlfriend, you know, I don’t buy women. I give ‘em money and treat ‘em nice, though, because women like that.” (This is correct. So he’s a loony, but he’s not entirely stupid. You don’t have to be a hooker to like money. The world would be a better place if more men understood that. Preferably men who are NOT toothless 65-year-old homeless crazies.) “See this ring? It’s gold. I got a lot of gold. I got $300, too, and I need a place to sleep tonight. You’re really beautiful.”

I slowly sidled away. Bob kept talking, gradually increasing in volume, but started drifting toward somebody else, thank goodness.

“Hey! I need to talk to you, man! You know about any apartments for rent around here?”

The man he was addressing scurried around the corner, because by now Bob was shouting. Not in a hostile way, just amazingly loud for someone who appeared to be rather decrepit. Everyone at the bus stop was trying to ignore him, but it was hard, because he kept saying weird funny things, and people were snickering.

“I need a room tonight. It’s gonna get cold, but that’s okay, I survived the Ice Age. I’m like a roach. I AM a roach. I WILL survive! That’s a song. That’s a song by Gloria Gaynor.”

Bob pointed at me and started singing “I Will Survive” in a cracked voice. Oh GOD DAMMIT WHERE IS MY FUCKING BUS?!?

To make things worse, I was really tempted to take video or at least a picture of this poor old nut. It would have been interesting. He looked like a perfectly normal old guy from a distance; he was clean shaven, and his clothes, although faded and a bit shabby, were clean and fairly tidy… but at close range, it was obvious that he was quite mad. Insane. Crackers. He was smiling as pleasantly as he could manage, keeping his lips closed over his toothless gums, but when I looked at his eyes I could almost see the wasps eating his brain. It was repulsive, yet fascinating. (My hand started rummaging in my bag for my digital camera, without my permission.)

It was a bad idea to photograph this man. I wasn’t sure how he would react, and the high probability that he would interpret it as a sign of attraction and interest was unacceptable in light of the fact that I had NO IDEA how much longer I would have to put up with his nonsense before I was rescued by a bus. (Stop rummaging, dammit!)

Meanwhile, Bob forgot the words to “I Will Survive”, faltered for a moment, then launched into another song, after announcing that it was by Hank Williams, Sr., while wandering aimlessly around in the street, in rush hour traffic. Lucky for him it was moving at a crawl.

I then had another horrible thought… what if I took his picture, and he ALSO boarded my bus and started following me? He didn’t seem dangerous, but I can’t begin to calculate how embarrassing and how much more tedious than usual my bus ride would have been. What if he tried to follow me HOME? (The disobedient camera-seeking hand withdrew from the bag of its own accord.)

The poor old bugger somehow made it safely to the other side of the street, where he started annoying some other people who were waiting for a bus heading the other direction, and then MY BUS ARRIVED.

Hallefrickinglujah. I have officially survived yet another day of being a loony magnet.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 12:03:26 AM by stephendare »
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

jbm32206

Re: Looking for Hookers at 9th and Main
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 06:19:09 AM »
but HONESTLY. The hookers relocated something like a decade ago
The hookers are still, very much there in the area...especially along 8th street. Aside from that, the article is funny...there sure are a lot of 'crazies' out there, and Bob is no exception!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
"BOB" LOVES HOOKERS!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 09:37:52 AM »
Okay, from another prospective, I know a "BOB" that LOVES HOOKERS... But not the way that you think. 99% of these girls and guys were sexual abuse victims from early childhood.  That alone causes severe mental conditions, with a full range of problems of their own. Then from childhood they were told, Don't tell Mommy, or don't tell your teacher, because if you do the police will come and shoot us. They will take you away and put you in jail.  Other similar horror tales that become ingrained in the now damaged minds of otherwise fine young people. To hide the pain they develop cutting, hair pulling, babbling, or impossible fantasy worlds. To survive they often run away at very young ages and find they cannot work. Introduced by a kind pimp to food, clothes, and "LOVE" they are told, "Honey just do this for us a couple of months and we'll have the money to get to Hollywood..."

If she leaves her "CRIB" she will be killed... Oh bet you didn't know that's where the new slang for house came from.
A Crib was the lowest form of prostitution in the old South and West. Often because it was carried out in the "Corn Cribs" or "animal shelters" on farms... Are you proud of your crib?

SO NOW... WE HAVE...

A person who cannot (due to conditions beyond their own control) turn to authorities, churches or groups for help.
A person that has severe mental issues.
A person on a path to death like a rocket sled on rails.
A person confused about what love, family or care even are.
A person that will offend because being an outlaw is "BEING" and anything else is unknown.
A person using dangerous drugs (funny I should say that)
A person who will be beaten, raped, tortured, drugged and left for dead over and over again.

SOCIETY WILL SAY...

She/He made the bad choice, and just needs to wake up and come out of it. (like you can decide to be 150 pounds thinner, quit smoking or change your skin color)
They should just get a real job like everyone else. (Yeah, hire a person with a record? fat chance)
They're dirty and dangerous, if they are on my block, I'm calling the cops. (You are ugly, so I'm telling...)
Maybe the drugs will kill them off and the problem solves itself. (maybe the same drugs would clear your minds?)
How do you rape a hooker? Bull Shit. (The same way you rape a lamb, ugly and violently)
Make them get a permit, they'll always be with us... (so will murder, shall we permit that too?)

God how heartless, on this Sunday morning, to think so many of our good Christian citizens are thinking any of these things. 12, 16, 24, 38 years ago, that was a beautiful baby. It's little heart and soul craved love and care and it got none of it. My true PRAYER for my city is to not be "The City of Brotherly Love", but Americas Compassion City.
You see, THIS BOB LOVES HOOKERS, and IMHO YOU SHOULD TOO!

Ocklawaha
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 09:53:39 AM by Ocklawaha »

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 10:27:52 AM »
>  great points on prostitution Bob, although I think that Deadgirlsdontdance.com was taking a more lighthearted approach at being mistaken for a hooker.....
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 10:31:49 AM »
Yeah, and I really thought it was funny, but sure as Shit (can I say that on Sunday?) someone will jump in with the old Sling-shot or paintball gun idea...

Like someone else I know, I like to stir the pot now and then...

Ocklawaha

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 10:34:15 AM »
Like someone else I know, I like to stir the pot now and then...

im sure i dont know what you are talking about bob!.....lol

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 10:52:36 AM »
ROFL Man... Hey I'll make you a deal, If Tory got my links... Next time the little old ladies of Springfield have a function at 9Th and Main, I help sponsor "BLACK OAK ARKANSAS" for the music!

Ocklawaha

downtownparks

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 11:20:22 AM »
I don't see where she even mentions a city, let alone a neighborhood? Does she work for you? I did see she works in a kitchen on another post.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 11:53:40 AM »
Its on her website, actually.

I love her writing style, its so light and educated, yet she writes about real street experiences.

And yes, she is a Jacksonville local, been writing for a couple of decades.

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 02:39:46 PM »
ROFL Man... Hey I'll make you a deal, If Tory got my links... Next time the little old ladies of Springfield have a function at 9Th and Main, I help sponsor "BLACK OAK ARKANSAS" for the music!

Ocklawaha

You're killing me...BLACK OAK ARKANSAS and old ladies...in the same sentence...ROFLMAO
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 02:41:55 PM by gatorback »
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

irksomekitty

• Dead Girls Don't Dance: Confessions of a former goth princess
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 05:41:43 PM »
>  great points on prostitution Bob, although I think that Deadgirlsdontdance.com was taking a more lighthearted approach at being mistaken for a hooker.....

This is quite correct. I can say that with certainty, being the actual perpetrator of the blog post. (The incident actually occurred on the corner of 7TH and Main, not that it matters. There's crazy people everywhere.) I wasn't making any grand statements about anything.

I certainly COULD have said something profound about:

* traffic congestion
* wretched public transportation
* the injustice of prostitution -or-
* the tragedy of crazy little old men wandering around unsupervised due to the inadequate availability of mental health services for the indigent and poor...

... but I didn't. It's just a story. I thought it was funny. Sigh.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 05:45:35 PM »
Thanks for the clear up Irksome!

It was a great post, and welcome to metrojacksonville.com!

irksomekitty

• Dead Girls Don't Dance: Confessions of a former goth princess
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 06:33:05 PM »
Thanks.

As for the hookers still being around, as per jbm32206, I haven't seen any obvious prostitutes roaming Main Street in daylight. But that may be a lack of perception on my part.

I suppose perhaps the really cheap ones are probably walking around in ugly, dingy clothes, accessorized with an air of weariness and impatience... and that's what I usually have on when I'm on my way home from work. Thus the mistaken identity.

I live on the outskirts of a bad neighborhood in Arlington, and the crack whores that occasionally come staggering down my street are pretty shabby.

I can remember driving down Main Street a long time ago, and women with too much makeup and cheap, frilly, colorful dresses walking around and leaning out of windows shouting at passing cars. The cops didn't really give a crap, back then, so the hookers stood out in sharp contrast to the other women. I guess I'm just old.

jbm32206

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 08:55:32 PM »
What I said was "The hookers are still, very much there in the area...especially along 8th street"

Generally, you don't see many hookers during the daylight hours, and if you drive along 8th street in the evening and nights, you'll see them. Trust me, they're not the nicest looking gals (and guys) around! There's even one that wears go-go boots, and sometimes they don't match.

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 10:29:29 PM »
Being a person who deals with PROS every other day..I did think the blog was funny at first, but if you ever had a conversation with a lady of the night you wouldn't be smiling. Those women minds are down right destroyed. They tell me some of the "tricks" they have done and all the abuse they go through for whatever reason (not all of them are on drugs yet). Its a Hard Knock Life....
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!