Friday, October 24, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Clean Up of Annie Lytle School Continues This Weekend  (Read 9814 times)

BIG CHEESE 723

Re: Clean Up of Annie Lytle School Continues This Weekend
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2013, 12:55:47 AM »
Also needed to mention my sadness at meeting Carol on her last day. 
I have no doubt that wherever she relocates that community will be enriched by her  volunteer spirit
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:06:13 AM by BIG CHEESE 723 »

Timkin

« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2013, 12:15:23 PM »

Will continue the cleanup next Saturday.   Thank you everyone for your hard work :)

Autumn_936

« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2013, 10:18:18 PM »

Will continue the cleanup next Saturday.   Thank you everyone for your hard work :)
              I will be there

Timkin

« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2013, 12:14:47 AM »
Thanks, Autumn..

Autumn is one of our newest volunteers.   She has great enthusiasm . She and her Sister did an awesome job helping us get under way on the interior cleanup.

Timkin

« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2013, 12:45:23 AM »

ALSO..... Request from our volunteer team to those in the community who care about Annie Lytle.

We are , very eagerly providing all of the tools and materials to accomplish the project.  What we could really use from the community are donations of:

Contractor Trashbags.... literally as many as can be spared .. The interior space is in the 45,000 square foot range and much of it needs trash pick up..

Safety Gloves, all sizes.

Hard hats .. for when we work in some of the dangerous areas

Paint  .. White Semigloss exterior latex for the Columns , Planters and Steps and base trim of the building.  Dark brown to cover tagging on the covered doors and entrances.  Dark  Colors .. like Coffee color to Spray the back wall on the Auditorium and cover over the tagging that has been painted on it for 4 decades.  A color match to brick so we can paint the brick work where tagging has been posted in various places.    Time for it to go.. we are sending Annie to a new day.

WE will need lawn teams.  I have personally provided all of the lawn equipment through the years to do this project and will continue to as long as I can , but with Ralph W's  help the Yard has been cleared so nicely in the back of the School that with one final day of cleaning up back there,  It would then be managable  on a zero-radius mower..

Looking to do some landscaping and planting in the planters on the 3 sides of the School.  So anyone who would like to help with that or donate is most welcome to do so.

I have a new flag.. We need a lift to place the flag and also to secure the Tether Ropes at the TOP of the Flag pole.. Any other method results in the Flag going byebye by thieves within days.   Please don't get me started on the type of scum  that STEALS an American Flag. They are the lowest of the low.

We need muscle and man power, Trucks , Front end loaders,

Phase one is to get the Trash swept out of the entire building and all debris even in the basement.. OUT.

Next comes covering over the tagging.. We think it is necessary so that developers can look through building to see what is there and what has to be done.

Also getting demolished is the failed remaining Auditorium Roof Scraps..   we will seperate the wood from metal . Wood obviously goes to the dump .. All Metal goes to a scrapper.

Im getting into a lenghty list but the bottom line is We appreciate anything /everything  you folks can do to help us

Thank you so much!! :)

=Timkin=

BIG CHEESE 723

Re: Clean Up of Annie Lytle School Continues
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2013, 01:28:34 AM »
We will be there Saturday.  Have flashlight to hit the side rooms.  Got to get those forms signed, too.  (:

sandyshoes

« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »
Timkin, LOVE what you all are able to do, sorry I am not physically able to help.  People may call me Pollyanna (or worse, I'm sure), but here's a thought.  It sounds as if you all have most materials, but you really need bodies to do the work.  For lack of a better term, would it not be the coolest thing if there was a "consortium" of volunteer, non-profit groups who would help each other get things done - say (just as an example) a Builder's Care type of group whose x number of volunteers might be able to help you all for x number of hours in return for your x number of volunteers helping them for x number of hours.  ??  I can dream, right?

Timkin

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2013, 11:24:04 AM »
A great idea , Sandy.  Thank you

iloveionia

« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2013, 10:21:05 AM »
Also getting demolished is the failed remaining Auditorium Roof Scraps..   we will seperate the wood from metal . Wood obviously goes to the dump .. All Metal goes to a scrapper.
=Timkin=

Beg to differ.  Salvaged wood makes great benches, work tables, other furniture, sign boards, and art pieces.  Think PS4 Fundraiser.  I'd be the first in line to buy.  Serious.

ricker

« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2013, 10:31:12 AM »
What time Saturday?
I have a weekend off!
- this one and next!
Looking forward to helping!
Sorry I do not any longer have my truck.
I would really like to assist with whatever planting installation you have planned. Is that happening this weekend?
I can happily paint or sweep also, I just really need some gardening therapy.
helps my tired hands.
Thanks again Tim!

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2013, 12:20:17 PM »
There will be at least 2 of us there on Sat.  around 10 am.m.  I will let Tim comment for himself.  We need people who can lift things.
iloveionia, interesting idea.  You have done that with your PSOS?

Timkin

« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2013, 11:34:13 PM »

To clarify, we are disposing of unusable debris.. trash , charred remains of the failed auditorium roof .. This is stuff that has no reusable element.   As to salvaging usable wood out of the building.. since it is not mine to do that, I cannot do that nor promote to anyone else that they could.    Appreciate the suggestion of the PS4 fundraiser and certainly concur that it is a great idea!   

Just to eliminate the danger in the building of the trash and completely destroyed elements scattered throughout the building is the task at hand , at this point , and just doing that is going to take some time.   As we move through the building , we are beginning to cover (paint over) the tagging all over the place, which like the outside, will probably prove to be repeated work.

Ricker.... good to hear from you.  As to planting plants,  plant as you wish, any time.  Certainly can see no harm in beautifying .

Typically we show up there somewhere around 8:30-9:00 AM on Saturday.   Big Cheese will likely beat me  there this Saturday.   

Once again , Id like to state we are NOT removing or selling any features or wooden elements of the building particularly since it is not ours to do that.  We are cleaning it up and improving its state visually and to be able to get around in the structure. We hope this will help move it toward renovation. 

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2013, 11:56:15 PM »
I am going to go out back tomorrow and see if I can't find some (small) old x-metal that we might use to sift the debris from the dirt and dust.  It would probably make it easier than doing it by hand.  If I can't find that then I might get a small piece of hardware cloth. 
Definitelyy plan on being there.
Remind anyone that wants to help to bring gloves.  Flashlights or some kind of battery operated lighting would be very helpful.

sandyshoes

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2013, 08:31:34 AM »
Timkin, I'm sorry I didn't remember this before now;  I don't know if it would be helpful to you all or not, since you are painting off the graffiti tagging.  I know there is a special concoction called D-2 that the genealogical society (Southeastern Genealogical Exchange Society Library, off of 103rd and Ricker, on Sauterne Drive I think it is) sells to clean off concrete headstones in the graveyards they take care of.  It is used instead of bleach because it won't deteriorate the old concrete.  Not sure if it would remove paint, and I have no clue if you could paint over it or not if you still had to.  Just throwing it out there. 

BIG CHEESE 723

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2013, 10:58:30 AM »
Sauterne right off Blanding.  Tim, I could check with Jon Ferguson from SGES and see what he can tell me.  We know each other I am a member
Come to think of it, you might know Mike Lawson?  Jon and Mike record cemetaries and I have seen Mik referenced on MJ.