Author Topic: Other NFL News  (Read 239517 times)

RattlerGator

Re: Other NFL News
« Reply #1275 on: April 14, 2017, 01:38:42 PM »
The lawsuit seems like an idiotic waste of taxpayer funds.

The NFL violated their own relocation rules? Really? Well guess what, those are their damn rules and they are free to set them aside -- aren't they? I mean, they aren't a governmental entity bound by rules of providing notice to the public before changing X rule and engaging in Y activity to accomplish Z end result.

So many people these days want to conflate rights and limitations applicable to citizen-government interaction with consumer-to-business interactions or government-to-business interactions. No, no, no.

spuwho

« Reply #1276 on: April 15, 2017, 12:14:31 AM »
The lawsuit seems like an idiotic waste of taxpayer funds.

The NFL violated their own relocation rules? Really? Well guess what, those are their damn rules and they are free to set them aside -- aren't they? I mean, they aren't a governmental entity bound by rules of providing notice to the public before changing X rule and engaging in Y activity to accomplish Z end result.

So many people these days want to conflate rights and limitations applicable to citizen-government interaction with consumer-to-business interactions or government-to-business interactions. No, no, no.

Well, those government entities are accountable to their taxpayers, yes? They did go to the populace for a referendum to pay for the stadium upgrades demanded by the Rams to maintain the lease? It did cost the same taxpayers several millions to put together the plans, drawings, consulting reports, financial analysis to win the day, per the "rules".

Seeing the the city and county of St Louis extended a great deal of terms and favorable conditions to keep the Rams in town and they left anyway, simply means they are going to (try to) claw back some of those costs.

And remember, some lawsuits are filed (in political terms) to get to discovery.  Then politicos can wave in the air with pride, "see, they were out to screw us" and gets them off the hook for spending the dough to try.

In their minds, spending a million for a lawsuit, to get some evidence out in the open to save their hides, is money well spent.

I don't necessarily agree completely, but I would like to see some better transparency on how public entities try to deal with the NFL and their whims.  Besides, the NFL needs some bad press on these relocation activities. Some of the owners are starting to get a bit self-important.

I-10east

« Reply #1277 on: August 15, 2017, 11:37:10 PM »
The LA Chargers (LAC, perfect acronym) couldn't even sell out a 27K stadium (21K showed up) in the preseason opener LOL. Things are just gonna go swimmingly when that 70K stadium in Inglewood opens...

http://thebiglead.com/2017/08/13/the-chargers-couldnt-even-fill-stubhub-center-for-their-first-game-in-los-angeles/

remc86007

« Reply #1278 on: August 15, 2017, 11:48:18 PM »
I know LA is big, but I still don't get why they thought it was a good idea to jump from 0 teams to 2.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #1279 on: August 16, 2017, 12:17:06 AM »
TV money, after the glamour wears off that new stadium, it will be just empty as it was last season. Especially if both teams continue to suck.

RattlerGator

« Reply #1280 on: August 18, 2017, 10:43:59 AM »
The LA Chargers (LAC, perfect acronym) couldn't even sell out a 27K stadium (21K showed up) in the preseason opener LOL. Things are just gonna go swimmingly when that 70K stadium in Inglewood opens...

http://thebiglead.com/2017/08/13/the-chargers-couldnt-even-fill-stubhub-center-for-their-first-game-in-los-angeles/

I doubt if this means anything at all, really. These games are glorified workouts. I was glad as hell I didn't drive over from Tallahasse for that shiznit last night in EverBank.

But the NFL move to L.A. is easily understandable. It was a move made with an eye on worldwide trends. When the Olympics come to L.A. in a decade, the NFL will be there ready and waiting to further implement their international strategy. One that will have had a decade to work out the kinks, with multiple games in multiple international locales. Fantasy football and gambling changes everything for the NFL in terms of international viability. No one in the world, IMHO, benefits more from the video gaming revolution than the NFL. Suddenly this very American game is understandable and playable by gamers *or* gamblers worldwide. The stats of American football are much more amenable to video gaming or gambling than is soccer -- aren't they?

The bet being made seems two-fold to me, all made possible by the digitization of everything. One: star athletes are (in many ways) the new movie stars. Two: the embrace of gambling by American pro sports leagues changes everything.

I wouldn't bet against them.

Tacachale

« Reply #1281 on: August 18, 2017, 05:55:40 PM »
^The NFL in LA makes all the business sense in the world. It remains to be seen if the Chargers in LA makes any sense. So far they appear to be doing worse than their last several years in San Diego.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

I-10east

« Reply #1282 on: August 18, 2017, 11:42:58 PM »
^^^Exactly. Ideally LA would have one team named the Raiders, the main football team that most of LA cares for; Alot of there fans will be making that LA to LV trip in the future. It seems like the Rams returning there hasn't created a buzz, and the Chargers there is a downright folly; I could see the Chargers going back to San Diego in about a decade or so (if SD gets it's act together).

spuwho

« Reply #1283 on: August 19, 2017, 08:34:32 AM »
LA doesnt carry the same appeal for some pro athletes as it used to.

Many wanted to be there so they could transition into show biz post football. But with pro contracts so lucrative, endorsement income so gaudy, the incentive to have a post athletic career in acting just isnt as great.

It used to be everyone wanted to be in LA. Not as much anymore.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #1284 on: August 19, 2017, 11:09:44 AM »
^

That is not true. Many pro athletes have a home in a LA or spent their off-season there. LeBron has a home in LA and wants to expand his empire with his Hollywood friends. A lot the top soccer players spent last month training in LA.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #1285 on: August 19, 2017, 11:16:21 AM »
LA will absolutely work as a market for the NFL. In the area where they are building the Rams new stadium, the NFL are building studios for the NFL Network. These studios are going to be used to develop more content for the network and their digital properties. TV dollars will increase with the addition of LA market to advertiser.

I-10east

« Reply #1286 on: August 19, 2017, 10:37:01 PM »
^^^I tend to agree that they will be okay with the Rams; although LA is a fair weather city when times get rough and Ls are piling up (worst case scenario), I'm sure that they will integrate LAs large corporate community will step up for the Rams (although I still think that most of LA cares about the Raiders).

As for the Chargers, they are the red headed stepchild in Kroenke-land. I really don't think that LA cares about them at all. Even Carson denied dealing with them, as far as putting a Chargers stadium there. Most of the SD fans will not support LA, they feel alienated.

Regardless of how large a city is, or their corporate presence, ultimately you're still gonna need some resemblance of a fanbase, and it's not there (Chargers in LA). Preseason or not, the inability to sell out a temporary 27K is downright embarrassing; Thats only a precursor of whats to come for the regular season.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #1287 on: August 20, 2017, 03:54:08 AM »
And with LA getting the Olympics I am sure that new sparkling stadium will come in handy

I-10east

« Reply #1288 on: August 22, 2017, 09:56:25 PM »
^^^In speaking of the Olympics, here's a ReasonTV video talking about pass cities that were screwed over by the Olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-rBxNHd2fI&t
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:59:52 PM by I-10east »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #1289 on: October 20, 2017, 07:24:06 AM »
The Packers bought a strip of land adjacent to Lambeau... and called it the Titletown District.  Similar to the areas around Everbank.  Think Shipyards...

Here is the newest addition...

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-press-release/article-1/Packers-Microsoft-join-forces-to-drive-economic-growth-job-creation-in-Wisconsin/694f6f07-92c1-41cb-845b-a3f46b8d8e82
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."