Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1236562 times)

pierre

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #8925 on: November 14, 2017, 07:29:33 AM »
It would be embarassing if the Jags - who crushed the Bengals, Ravens, and the Steelers - some how lost to the Browns (if this isn´t the epitome of a trap game, I don´t know what is).

How is Cleveland going to score? They have terrible quarterbacks, probably the worst receiving group in the league. Their left tackle is out for the year. Their right tackle is hurt and may miss this week's game.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #8926 on: November 14, 2017, 08:06:08 AM »
^stranger things have happened. Best not to go in too hot headed. It's supposed to be below 30° Sunday

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8927 on: November 14, 2017, 08:25:37 AM »

Yep... just checked the Cleveland weather forecast... Possible snow showers... high of 37... windy...

If that make it more difficult for DB's to catch passes thrown  directly to them, sign me up!

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #8928 on: November 14, 2017, 09:25:08 AM »
It would be embarassing if the Jags - who crushed the Bengals, Ravens, and the Steelers - some how lost to the Browns (if this isn´t the epitome of a trap game, I don´t know what is).

How is Cleveland going to score? They have terrible quarterbacks, probably the worst receiving group in the league. Their left tackle is out for the year. Their right tackle is hurt and may miss this week's game.

There's no logical reason the Jags should ever lose this game (or for that matter, it be even a close game) for the reasons that you mention and more. Further, if it is cold and wet, then that puts more emphasis on the running game, something else in the Jags favor. The Jags would match up really well against the Browns regardless of record; just by a virtue of each team's strengths and weaknesses.

But stranger things have happened.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #8929 on: November 14, 2017, 09:34:09 AM »
Two things I´ve been thinking:

1. Jesus christ, we´re one QB away from having a Super Bowl caliber team. I mean seriously...can you imagine what we´d look like with a QB who is even simply´well above average´ (since I¨d call Blake ´average at best´)?! Put in an almost-elite or downright elite QB (maybe a Matt Ryan type, who shows signs of elite more often than not) and we´d be killing it.

2. While I 100% agree with those saying ´these taunting penalties are insanely dumb, stop doing them you idiots´, I disagree with this ´act like you´ve been there´ mentality. Can we all be a tiny bit honest for a second? 90% of these guys HAVEN´T been there!! Sure, they´re considered ´professionals´, but these guys are 22-25 years old and getting their first taste of what it means to kick ass and take names. Add in a huge ego (like half our D) and...yeah...we haven´t BEEN there, so why expect them to ´act like they´ve been there´... (but yeah, please stop this nonsense and at least act like you know what it means to consistently win!)

1. Well above average probably means the top 8 guys. Not easy to get one of them. I almost feel like it would be interesting to flip the script and just invest money into all the other positions and keep rolling with minimal reliance on QB. In that scenario I'm fine with BB if he takes a below average deal, or I'd keep drafting QBs and let them sit for a year and plug em in year 2 to just run a system.

2. Just act like you've won a football game before. That's it. Not sure how Lee's taunt had anything to do with kicking ass and taking names...it was pretty embarrassing to me.

That said, the last two teams that lost to the Browns, but beat the other 3 in the AFC North...went to the Super Bowl...and won it. (Pats and Giants.)

Food for thought!

Wow, nice little nugget you dug up!! BTW, what's it like out there? Are you watching games by yourself? That's my one fear when we eventually move to Asia...I'll always be by myself watching Jags games some time between 1-8 in the morning. 

edjax

« Reply #8930 on: November 14, 2017, 10:58:19 AM »
20 mile winds off the lake are going to make it interesting too.  Who knows maybe the wind will turn Blake's throws into beautiful spirals! This game does scare me as the Browns have been close and in most of,their games.  I'll be in Ohio for this one while not at the game but wearing the teal and black surrounded by all my family in Orange and brown.  So Jags.   Pleaseeeeeeeee win this one!!

ben says

« Reply #8931 on: November 14, 2017, 11:13:41 AM »
Two things I´ve been thinking:

1. Jesus christ, we´re one QB away from having a Super Bowl caliber team. I mean seriously...can you imagine what we´d look like with a QB who is even simply´well above average´ (since I¨d call Blake ´average at best´)?! Put in an almost-elite or downright elite QB (maybe a Matt Ryan type, who shows signs of elite more often than not) and we´d be killing it.

2. While I 100% agree with those saying ´these taunting penalties are insanely dumb, stop doing them you idiots´, I disagree with this ´act like you´ve been there´ mentality. Can we all be a tiny bit honest for a second? 90% of these guys HAVEN´T been there!! Sure, they´re considered ´professionals´, but these guys are 22-25 years old and getting their first taste of what it means to kick ass and take names. Add in a huge ego (like half our D) and...yeah...we haven´t BEEN there, so why expect them to ´act like they´ve been there´... (but yeah, please stop this nonsense and at least act like you know what it means to consistently win!)

1. Well above average probably means the top 8 guys. Not easy to get one of them. I almost feel like it would be interesting to flip the script and just invest money into all the other positions and keep rolling with minimal reliance on QB. In that scenario I'm fine with BB if he takes a below average deal, or I'd keep drafting QBs and let them sit for a year and plug em in year 2 to just run a system.

2. Just act like you've won a football game before. That's it. Not sure how Lee's taunt had anything to do with kicking ass and taking names...it was pretty embarrassing to me.

That said, the last two teams that lost to the Browns, but beat the other 3 in the AFC North...went to the Super Bowl...and won it. (Pats and Giants.)

Food for thought!

Wow, nice little nugget you dug up!! BTW, what's it like out there? Are you watching games by yourself? That's my one fear when we eventually move to Asia...I'll always be by myself watching Jags games some time between 1-8 in the morning.

I agree about the taunting. It’s absurd. Just stating the obvious when I say: these are a group of somewhat immature, young, successful guys. While I expect better - at the moment- I wish I was surprised. But yeah it needs to stop. Now.

As for watching football here, I watch alone, typically with the GF sitting there asking a number of questions along the lines of “you call this a sport?” I use NFL GamePass. It’s expensive, but there’s a loophole where you can basically sign up for an unlimited # of free trials (using different emails for new logins). It’s great. As for watching 1-8am in Asia - I’ve been in that situation more times than I can count. Either stay up once a week and be tired the next day, or watch the 40-minute replay first thing in the morning. (It’s the entire game, minus the ads and a lot of the bullshit waiting around time.)

Not to get too off topic, but where are you moving in Asia? My favorite part of the world (I was supposed to move to Bangkok Jan. 1 of this year but meeting a Spanish girl on the plane home derailed my plans ;)
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

ben says

« Reply #8932 on: November 14, 2017, 12:04:45 PM »
Random thought, but what do you guys think of Teddy Bridgewater? He was supposed to be the prodigy (& future) of the Vikes. Looks like they won’t be needing him anytime soon. May be a good post season pickup to compete with BB?

Also, Sam Bradford and his ability to have a second-coming, like an Alex Smith?
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

edjax

« Reply #8933 on: November 14, 2017, 12:15:59 PM »
Random thought, but what do you guys think of Teddy Bridgewater? He was supposed to be the prodigy (& future) of the Vikes. Looks like they won’t be needing him anytime soon. May be a good post season pickup to compete with BB?

Also, Sam Bradford and his ability to have a second-coming, like an Alex Smith?

I would say Bridgewater may stay in MN.  I would also stay away from Bradford.  With him I think any second coming would be extremely limited from a physical standpoint.  He has some serious issues which was not the case with Alex Smith.  If I were the Jags I'd go all in on Kirk Cousins.  Yea it would cost a lot and he is not really elite, but with our defense you don't really need elite and he is to me way above average. 

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8934 on: November 14, 2017, 12:21:40 PM »
Take Jay Cutler. I'm sure the Dolphins will give him to you for a pair of dirty socks and a bottle of room temperature beer.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8935 on: November 14, 2017, 12:37:01 PM »
Take Jay Cutler. I'm sure the Dolphins will give him to you for a pair of dirty socks and a bottle of room temperature beer.

I am shocked that the 10 million  didn't up being well spent.

Nothing is certain except Death, Taxes, and the rest of the AFC East will lay down for the Pats. Life is sweet.

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #8936 on: November 14, 2017, 12:41:20 PM »
I don't want Chad Henne II.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #8937 on: November 15, 2017, 01:23:38 AM »
Not to get too off topic, but where are you moving in Asia? My favorite part of the world (I was supposed to move to Bangkok Jan. 1 of this year but meeting a Spanish girl on the plane home derailed my plans ;)

I don't know yet, our plans are far from determined and this realistically would be about 5 years from now. But the most likely landing spot is Macau due to our particular circumstances. Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia or China are also somewhat reasonable. I'm willing to consider living almost anywhere but tbh any place besides the above possibilities is a very long shot.

I'd rather drink the beer and watch BB5 throw his wobbly ducks.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8938 on: November 15, 2017, 09:54:43 AM »
So Taylor is being benched in Buffalo. Is he a QB the Jags should consider in the offseason?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

pierre

« Reply #8939 on: November 15, 2017, 10:07:24 AM »
So Taylor is being benched in Buffalo. Is he a QB the Jags should consider in the offseason?

Only if they plan on drafting one in the first round, and they think Taylor could be a potential very short-term starter. Sort of like the Bears did with Glennon this year.

I think it is more likely they go out and sign Kirk Cousins or go after Alex Smith if the Chiefs make him available.