Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1238365 times)

jaxjags

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #8820 on: October 17, 2017, 11:34:59 PM »
Blizz01, it's totally opposite in my world. I rarely come in contact with people on a day-to-day basis making a fuss about it. If anything, I've had more contact with people who don't care and those that call themselves boycotting the sport until Kaep gets picked up by a team. As for me, I tell them if they don't want to go, then don't. The game will still be played for the rest of us. And for those willing to use their platform, whatever that platform is, to improve and bring awareness to social justice issues, go for it.
If I may, I'd like to put my two cents worth into this kneeling issue.  I'm from a conservative background, born and raised in Jacksonville, and most people my age seem to be playing their anger at "the disrespect" shown to vets, the flag, our way of life, etc.  What a crock!  I'm in my 70s, an Army veteran, and served in Vietnam in 66-67.  I can't agree with the NFL boycotters at all.  Most of the ones I know never made any effort to attend a game ever, and never will.  And, the majority never served in the military either.  If I served my country and fought for your freedom and  liberty, how can I say that you don't have the liberty to exercise your freedoms?  You can't have it both ways.  Stop politicizing everything.  Stop inferring that only those who agree with your political views have a right to exercise their freedom.

I totally agree with your position. I went to college in the early 70's. Hell we protested every thing in those days. Did it mean we hated our country or flag or armed services. No, not at all. It was a way to make a statement. Today every thing does become political and we have become a segmented society. We now are white or black, gay or straight, disabled or not. Why not just be American and remember our right to peaceful protest.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #8821 on: October 18, 2017, 07:43:47 AM »
I'm in my 70s, an Army veteran, and served in Vietnam in 66-67.  I can't agree with the NFL boycotters at all.  Most of the ones I know never made any effort to attend a game ever, and never will.  And, the majority never served in the military either.  If I served my country and fought for your freedom and  liberty, how can I say that you don't have the liberty to exercise your freedoms? 

How the fuck does killing Vietnamese people equate to "[fighting] for [our] freedom and liberty?" No VC ever had any issue with Americans doing anything in America.

Neither did the Koreans, Granadans, Panamanians, etc. Going around the world and enforcing American foreign policy at gunpoint doesn't equate to preserving freedom and liberty for Americans. It usually amounts to denying freedom and liberty to other people. And usually because those people have something that Americans (or their leaders) desire.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8822 on: October 18, 2017, 08:24:11 AM »
I'm in my 70s, an Army veteran, and served in Vietnam in 66-67.  I can't agree with the NFL boycotters at all.  Most of the ones I know never made any effort to attend a game ever, and never will.  And, the majority never served in the military either.  If I served my country and fought for your freedom and  liberty, how can I say that you don't have the liberty to exercise your freedoms? 

And usually because those people have something that Americans (or their leaders) desire.

You're god damn right. And if we ever need help laundering money, watch out because we're coming over there too.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #8823 on: October 18, 2017, 08:32:36 AM »

And usually because those people have something that Americans (or their leaders) desire.

You're god damn right. And if we ever need help laundering money, watch out because we're coming over there too.

Funny you would say that - because I work in AML regulation and the USA is really behind a lot of the world (well...) when it comes to combating money laundering.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 08:35:57 AM by Adam White »

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8824 on: October 18, 2017, 09:07:23 AM »

Funny you would say that - because I work in AML regulation and the USA is really behind a lot of the world (well...) when it comes to combating money laundering.

Combat it? That is cute.

We need it to prop up real estate.

Snaketoz

« Reply #8825 on: October 18, 2017, 09:15:12 AM »

How the fuck does killing Vietnamese people equate to "[fighting] for [our] freedom and liberty?" No VC ever had any issue with Americans doing anything in America.

I agree 100%.  I was completely disillusioned after going to Vietnam.  Nothing the U.S. did in  Vietnam has anything whatsoever to do with freedom and liberty.  That is exactly what I meant.  These people who display all of this fake indignation over the kneeling during the Star Spangled Banner, are complete morons.  If they are incensed by people exercising these rights and freedoms, why even send our citizens over to a 3rd world country to "fight for our freedom"?  And, the instigator in chief, Donald J. Trump, is a prime example of these morons.  He is a coward, didn't serve, and now calls out everyone who doesn't fit in with his new patriotism.  He wants to rile his robotic followers to draw attention away from his idiotic policies.  Suddenly, the symbols of freedom are more important than freedom itself.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #8826 on: October 18, 2017, 09:28:01 AM »

I agree 100%.  I was completely disillusioned after going to Vietnam.  Nothing the U.S. did in  Vietnam has anything whatsoever to do with freedom and liberty.  That is exactly what I meant.  These people who display all of this fake indignation over the kneeling during the Star Spangled Banner, are complete morons.  If they are incensed by people exercising these rights and freedoms, why even send our citizens over to a 3rd world country to "fight for our freedom"?  And, the instigator in chief, Donald J. Trump, is a prime example of these morons.  He is a coward, didn't serve, and now calls out everyone who doesn't fit in with his new patriotism.  He wants to rile his robotic followers to draw attention away from his idiotic policies.  Suddenly, the symbols of freedom are more important than freedom itself.

Sorry if I came across a bit harsh. I just get wound up when people claim (not you, as clearly noted in your first comment) that they have some sort of "right" garnered by "fighting for your freedom" or whatever. Let's be fair about it - Americans are really fortunate to have been able to survive generally unmolested since the War of 1812 or so. Granted, Hitler and Co might've become more of a nuisance if the USA (and Stalin) hadn't sorted him out. But still.

This is probably one of the more insightful comments I've read in a while:

Suddenly, the symbols of freedom are more important than freedom itself.

Great way to put it. It's all a form of political correctness - using the imagery of America to hide a pernicious agenda that is completely un-American.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8827 on: October 18, 2017, 09:40:46 AM »
Granted, Hitler and Co might've become more of a nuisance if the USA (and Stalin) hadn't sorted him out. But still.

Nuisance?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #8828 on: October 18, 2017, 10:42:46 AM »
Granted, Hitler and Co might've become more of a nuisance if the USA (and Stalin) hadn't sorted him out. But still.

Nuisance?

Deliberately understated for effect. Try not to take everything so literally.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8829 on: October 18, 2017, 11:45:22 AM »

Nuisance?

Try not to take everything so literally.

Nuisance?

C'mon, give this simpleton a break and forgive me for not recognizing that it was "Deliberately understated for effect". Your literary skills are clearly being wasted on the likes of me.
On the other hand, Is it possible that if I had taken you associating the word nuisance with Hitler "so literally", I might have responded with something a bit more dramatic? Wait, that wouldn't have been nuanced enough.  Oh. no... was I too understated? Not understated enough? Unintentionally overstated?

Dag Gummitt, now I have done gone and confused myself! Oh.. you big city types. I get so flustered around your fancy sophistication and all.

Just to clarify, I am deliberately being a sarcastic asshole. For effect.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:47:31 AM by sanmarcomatt »

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #8830 on: October 18, 2017, 01:02:48 PM »
Rofl... Thanks Matt...  ;D
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #8831 on: October 18, 2017, 02:28:11 PM »

Nuisance?

Try not to take everything so literally.

Nuisance?

C'mon, give this simpleton a break and forgive me for not recognizing that it was "Deliberately understated for effect". Your literary skills are clearly being wasted on the likes of me.
On the other hand, Is it possible that if I had taken you associating the word nuisance with Hitler "so literally", I might have responded with something a bit more dramatic? Wait, that wouldn't have been nuanced enough.  Oh. no... was I too understated? Not understated enough? Unintentionally overstated?

Dag Gummitt, now I have done gone and confused myself! Oh.. you big city types. I get so flustered around your fancy sophistication and all.

Just to clarify, I am deliberately being a sarcastic asshole. For effect.

I figured you were being sarcastic. The chip on your shoulder seems genuine enough, though.

Snaketoz

« Reply #8832 on: October 22, 2017, 10:14:16 PM »
Congrats to the Jaguars for shutting Indy out today.  Great defense, the passing game worked, and special teams did a good job as well.  Now, after the bye, how about a win at home?

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #8833 on: October 22, 2017, 10:44:00 PM »
Congrats to the Jaguars for shutting Indy out today.  Great defense, the passing game worked, and special teams did a good job as well.  Now, after the bye, how about a win at home?

How'd it feel to not hold your breath during every kick?  I kind of enjoyed it.

I really figured Pagano would have kicked the FG at the end to prevent the shutout.  The win was already out, might as well not have your name tied to the last home shutout since week 11 of the '93 season.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

pierre

« Reply #8834 on: October 23, 2017, 09:44:16 AM »
It's almost becoming laughable how easy these road games are becoming for the Jags and they can't win at Everbank.

Now they get a bye and then a home game against a pretty mediocre Cincinnati team. After that another home game against an improving Chargers team that has a QB that has killed the Jags in the past.

Not to get too optimistic, but the three games after that (@CLE, @ARI and Indy at home) are all likely to be against bad quarterbacks.

Realistically the Jaguars should be able to go 3-2 or 4-1 in those games. That puts them at 7-5 or 8-4 going into the last quarter of the season.