Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1236016 times)

Snaketoz

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #8790 on: October 16, 2017, 04:27:05 PM »
Fire Bortles, Meyers, the high school special teamers, and over paid and over hyped Marcedes Lewis, and while you are at it, the GM too.

Marcedes Lewis had three touchdowns a couple weeks ago. Also, that GM did draft Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack, Leonard Fournette, and Cam Robinson. He also got Calais Campbell, Malik Jackson, AJ Bouye, and others. Yes, Caldwell missed on Bortles and that's going to be a large part of how he's judged. Myers and Nortman haven't been great either but let's be honest, Caldwell is far from the first GM to miss on kickers. Coughlin had a revolving door in 2002 at the kicking position -  I think they had four in one season.

From a personnel perspective over the last two years, the roster has dramatically improved. Asking this team to go from 3-13 to 13-3 in one offseason is a tough ask. I always felt this was about an 8-8 team this way. Now, the wins have been different than I expected - I never thought the defense would be this good.
Granted, Marcedes DID catch 3 TDs in a game, but at his pay level he should have done much more.  He has hands of concrete.  So many times I've seen him short arm catches he should have made, and he doesn't run good routes.  They have dismissed better players with better skills.  He is a big cap hit, and isn't earning his salary.  As for Meyers, he is pitiful.  The only thing he is good at is missing mid-range FGs and PATs.  Should have kept Scobee.  The GM has made some good picks.  It's just that after making a bad pick, he sticks with them too long.  Bortles should have been benched by now, BEFORE he is injured.  Henne could be a more accurate passer and hand the ball to RBs.  In fact, Bortles seemed to be as static as Henne this week.  He is lost.  Bortles is no better than Gabbert, or Leftwich.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #8791 on: October 16, 2017, 05:19:31 PM »

There's no reason the attendance would have dropped by 5,000 people from the first game

This seems to validate what Edjax posted about 5000 tickets donated for the Titans game but not the Rams game. Thus, possibly offering another explanation other than kneeling. Seems reasonable. What am I missing?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2732912-jaguars-owner-shad-khan-donates-1m-to-hurricane-irma-relief-5k-tickets

The 5,000 tickets to first responders seem reasonable. However, I would have expected an increase given that the team was in 1st place. Hopefully, the attendance improves for the next home game.

blizz01

« Reply #8792 on: October 16, 2017, 07:03:32 PM »
Not sure why some are in denial about the impacts from the kneeling.  It's a thing. It's material.  It's substantive.  Perhaps it's the company I keep, but I couldn't convince 2 of my best mates to go yesterday - and it wasn't specific to the Jaguars, rather the NFL as a whole.  Instead, I had to listen to that fellow on the Fox broadcast say "Jagwahs" incessantly.  There was a plane flying a "Boycott" banner over the stadium...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:27:50 PM by blizz01 »

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #8793 on: October 16, 2017, 07:20:53 PM »
Maybe people need to spend more time protesting social and racial injustices that’s the only denial I see here or let’s just look the other way as most whites have done for centuries.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8794 on: October 16, 2017, 07:27:04 PM »
Lamping says they gave away nearly 6000 tickets to first responders for the Titans game which is greater than the difference between the two games.

So that must mean kneeling actually boosted attendance for the Rams game!

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8795 on: October 16, 2017, 07:32:48 PM »
.  Instead, I had to listen to that fellow on the Fox broadcast say "Jagwahs" incessantly. 

You don't like listening to "Straight outta Stockton"?

https://screengrabber.deadspin.com/look-on-graphic-for-the-final-two-bullet-points-1819492801

blizz01

« Reply #8796 on: October 16, 2017, 07:37:22 PM »
Right.  No impact.  Got it.  Let's keep protesting.  Hell, I suggest active duty servicemen and women give it a go each morning on base during the anthem.  First responders too, right before they enter your burning building.  Because, awareness.  Now, back to my "white privilege". Shame on me.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8797 on: October 16, 2017, 07:57:15 PM »
Blizz01, it's totally opposite in my world. I rarely come in contact with people on a day-to-day basis making a fuss about it. If anything, I've had more contact with people who don't care and those that call themselves boycotting the sport until Kaep gets picked up by a team. As for me, I tell them if they don't want to go, then don't. The game will still be played for the rest of us. And for those willing to use their platform, whatever that platform is, to improve and bring awareness to social justice issues, go for it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:59:26 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

MusicMan

« Reply #8798 on: October 16, 2017, 09:15:32 PM »
Blizz summed up the protest perfectly:   " Instead, I had to listen to that fellow on the Fox broadcast say "Jagwahs" incessantly."

He watched from home. Now that's a boycott!

Thank you Sir!  ( Trump's idea of a boycott: watch it from home!)

Hey everyone, BLIZZ01 protested by watching at home.   I love it.

(Do you think it hurt the ratings?)

blizz01

« Reply #8799 on: October 16, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »
Seriously, stop hyperventilating.  As stated before, I had every intention of going - and, will continue to go in the future.  Way to thin slice my response in an effort to prop up your narrative - whatever that may be.

MusicMan

« Reply #8800 on: October 16, 2017, 09:44:58 PM »
Sorry. Just laughing out loud.

The sad fact is, Kaepernick was protesting perceived social injustice, not the miltary, not the flag, nothing like that at all.

(The same basic concept that Muhammad Ali demonstrated  when he went to jail instead of serving in Vietnam. 

One man is a great American hero, the other a fool.)

It was the Prez who took it and made a total falsehood out of it for political purposes. That's a seriously sick person.

KenFSU

« Reply #8801 on: October 16, 2017, 11:26:37 PM »
Sorry. Just laughing out loud.

The sad fact is, Kaepernick was protesting perceived social injustice, not the miltary, not the flag, nothing like that at all.

(The same basic concept that Muhammad Ali demonstrated  when he went to jail instead of serving in Vietnam. 

One man is a great American hero, the other a fool.)

It was the Prez who took it and made a total falsehood out of it for political purposes. That's a seriously sick person.

Nailed it.

The "disrespecting the military" narrative really only works if you're ignorant or a racist.

Khan's right, great divider indeed.

Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #8802 on: October 17, 2017, 07:32:19 AM »
I don't remember... did RGIII protest something too?
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8803 on: October 17, 2017, 08:30:14 AM »
I don't remember... did RGIII protest something too?

He should have protested Shanahan setting him up to get killed against Seattle. But I can't think of anything else.

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #8804 on: October 17, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »