Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 1174372 times)

spuwho

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #8430 on: August 08, 2017, 07:50:20 PM »
Jaguars place Branden Albert on reserve/retired list

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000826983/article/jaguars-place-branden-albert-on-reserveretired-list

Something about owing the Jaguars $3 million dollars in bonus money if he doesn't play might have had a bearing on his outlook.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:52:13 PM by spuwho »

JaxAvondale

« Reply #8431 on: August 08, 2017, 08:00:53 PM »
The head coach should have given him the day off on the 31st. Also, his agent should have discussed his forfeiture clause.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #8432 on: August 09, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »
Dude didn't way his options correctly, he's most likely paying that bonus back to the Jaguars, what a POS.

KenFSU

« Reply #8433 on: August 10, 2017, 10:29:42 PM »
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8434 on: August 11, 2017, 08:08:36 AM »
The good: The first worthless preseason game has come and gone.
The slightly bad : I was hoping to see more from the Jags 1's last night since the Pats didn't play anybody. I know it still would have been worthless, but it would have been nice to see.
The hilariously bad: Mark Brunell. Wow. I guess the only thing worse than his money management skills, is his announcing.

RattlerGator

« Reply #8435 on: August 11, 2017, 08:31:59 AM »
Fournette definitely has the look of the real deal. That's going to make a *huge* difference for us and, hopefully, Blake. Rashad dropped a beautiful, easy 3rd down pass on the opening drive. If not for the that, I think they would have marched down the field. The opening kickoff bobble, starting the drive at the 7-damn-yard-line, and the drop -- can't hold that against Blake.

Sorry about your Dolphins, Ennis. Cutler was a fearsome QB at Vanderbilt and he's clearly talented as hell but what level of  idiot says his wife talked him into coming out of retirement? He has the look and sound of a guy who disrespects the game and the people who play it. Not good.

As for the OL walking away from the Jaguars in the fashion he did -- I hope he pays for this level of stupid gamesmanship. I think he and his agent know what they're doing -- I just hope they don't get away with it.

• Albert skipped all of the Jaguars' offseason conditioning program and organized team activities because he wanted a new contract, but general manager Dave Caldwell said in April the team was not reworking Albert's deal. Albert did participate in the team's mandatory three-day minicamp in mid-June and reported with the rest of Jacksonville's veterans on July 26.

I think they collectively are trying to punk the Jaguars, beat the system and come back when the season is in progress and the Jaguars or some team need an offensive lineman. We shall see.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #8436 on: August 11, 2017, 09:21:37 AM »
The slightly bad : I was hoping to see more from the Jags 1's last night since the Pats didn't play anybody. I know it still would have been worthless, but it would have been nice to see.
The hilariously bad: Mark Brunell. Wow. I guess the only thing worse than his money management skills, is his announcing.

Worthless to who Matt?  The rookies?  The free agents?  Coaches?  Serious fans who want to see who may or may not make the team?  Or just those who does not want to pay for a ticket?  Please be more specific...  Happy Friday!  :)

BTW... I agree with you about Brunell... ouch
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8437 on: August 11, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »

Worthless to who Matt?  The rookies?  The free agents?  Coaches?  Serious fans who want to see who may or may not make the team?  Or just those who does not want to pay for a ticket?  Please be more specific...  Happy Friday!  :)

Well, I meant worthless to me of course as both entertainment value and any value to evaluating individual talent/units/team. I don't even put that much value into the legendary "3rd preseason game" let alone a game where the organizations have such a disparity in level of personnel used.

However, if you would like me to take an outside view of last nights game(and it will be my pleasure) here is my take:

When it comes to anything related to the internal team and their evaluations, I absolutely think it has value especially with the changes to the CBA and how important the back end of roster construction is. Hell, I consider Belichick a god, so he could have played cheerleaders last night and I would expect him to get value out of it. (Did you note how easily 44 was distracted by a nice ass? Josh, I think we can use that....)

Ticket buying public? If you want to pay to watch preseason football, knock yourself out. I put the value  at 0.00 but certainly understand people enjoying going to the game and be willing to pay x dollars. I am sure most would chortle about how much we will pay for a bottle of wine.Different strokes.However, I think the NFL treats the fans like shit when it comes to preseason/financial aspect. That is actually one of the reasons we did not renew this year as a long time season tkt holder.

"Serious " Fans/ Sports media trying to evaluate anything about the team?  Still Worthless in my opinion (although the performance of Cyrus Jones could challenge my view on that)but for anyone spouting differently, I will admit to finding some entertainment value in reactions especially Jag media/fans.
 I mean, even I got caught up in it last night. When I saw Fournette rip off 3 carries for 9 1/2 yards getting stopped on 3rd and short, I was up out of my seat amazed at the generational talent that I was witnessing.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #8438 on: August 11, 2017, 12:48:16 PM »

Well, I meant worthless to me of course as both entertainment value and any value to evaluating individual talent/units/team. I don't even put that much value into the legendary "3rd preseason game" let alone a game where the organizations have such a disparity in level of personnel used.

However, if you would like me to take an outside view of last nights game(and it will be my pleasure) here is my take:

When it comes to anything related to the internal team and their evaluations, I absolutely think it has value especially with the changes to the CBA and how important the back end of roster construction is. Hell, I consider Belichick a god, so he could have played cheerleaders last night and I would expect him to get value out of it. (Did you note how easily 44 was distracted by a nice ass? Josh, I think we can use that....)

Ticket buying public? If you want to pay to watch preseason football, knock yourself out. I put the value  at 0.00 but certainly understand people enjoying going to the game and be willing to pay x dollars. I am sure most would chortle about how much we will pay for a bottle of wine.Different strokes.However, I think the NFL treats the fans like shit when it comes to preseason/financial aspect. That is actually one of the reasons we did not renew this year as a long time season tkt holder.

"Serious " Fans/ Sports media trying to evaluate anything about the team?  Still Worthless in my opinion (although the performance of Cyrus Jones could challenge my view on that)but for anyone spouting differently, I will admit to finding some entertainment value in reactions especially Jag media/fans.
 I mean, even I got caught up in it last night. When I saw Fournette rip off 3 carries for 9 1/2 yards getting stopped on 3rd and short, I was up out of my seat amazed at the generational talent that I was witnessing.

Rofl... Thanks Matt!  Like you I could not/would not pay full price for a preseason game.  Not happnin... Like you said... the value of the games is mostly internal to the team.  Clearly teams use these games to pick the players on their roster for the year.  Evaluating talent, gaining experience, tempo, tackling, catching, blocking, running against real opponents.  It is necessary.  Can the fans evaluate those qualities or deficiencies?  Of course... not with the same discerning eye as the coaching staff but most serious fans can identify good and bad plays and techniques and qualities.  Our current slate of "preseason games" certainly mean a hell of a lot more than the old school "exhibition games" that were played against college all star teams or local semi pro teams...

I can understand why some find these game meaningless... myself... I enjoy watching the undrafted kid from a small school whose only chance to make the team is slim to none... That my friend is drama...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Snaketoz

« Reply #8439 on: August 11, 2017, 05:51:32 PM »
Of the three Jaguar's QBs I saw play last night, I would put Bortles at #3 on the depth chart.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #8440 on: August 12, 2017, 10:54:42 AM »
Of the three Jaguar's QBs I saw play last night, I would put Bortles at #3 on the depth chart.

Why because he was 3/5 with a dropped pass and a throwaway through the back of the endzone?

or because he only played 14 snaps that were mostly designed to showcase Fournette (9 runs / 5 passes)?

or because he didn't connect on any deep routes against 2nd and 3rd stringers?

Help me out with your logic.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8441 on: August 12, 2017, 01:47:04 PM »

Why because he was 3/5 with a dropped pass and a throwaway through the back of the endzone?

or because he only played 14 snaps that were mostly designed to showcase Fournette (9 runs / 5 passes)?

He may have made the mistake of rewatching the 2016 season as the guys holding a clipboard added significantly more value. On a related note, I saw a kid in a Jags jersey throw a football on my street and the kid may slot in  3rd and bump Blake down to 4th. I will watch a little more tape first, just to be sure.

Snaketoz

« Reply #8442 on: August 13, 2017, 04:13:09 PM »

I feel that he ran the plays that more closely match his abilities.  Handing off to a back, only playing 14 snaps to keep from boring everyone, and protecting his delicate ego.  Can't you say that the other two QBs had to play with lesser people in supporting roles? I'm sure you being being MJs leading critic, you know more than anyone else, and I shouldn't have an opinion.  However, as I said, I would put Bortles 3rd on the depth chart.  I hope I'm wrong, as I am a Jaguar fan, but I think (my opinion) Bortles will be 3rd on most fan's depth charts by mid season.  But what do I know?  I'm not a Westsider.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8443 on: August 13, 2017, 05:00:21 PM »
After two more picks in limited work, Bortles benched..I mean given his "planned rest" .

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #8444 on: August 13, 2017, 06:28:34 PM »
Marquis Lee carted off the practice field today...