Friday, August 22, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 317091 times)

I-10east

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #3720 on: February 15, 2013, 09:58:43 PM »
Jaguars.com has three new desktop wallpapers with the new logo.

I-10east

« Reply #3721 on: February 15, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »
I'm not digging those uni schemes that Shwaz posted on page 247. One has no teal, and looks WAY too much like the New Orleans Saints with all of that black & gold. The others reminds me of a college team; ie Oregon or Maryland-esque 'novelty tactical alternate jerseys' facing off against some service academy; I agree with Adam as they aren't definitely nothing to write home about.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 07:02:06 AM by I-10east »

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #3722 on: February 15, 2013, 10:30:45 PM »
I-10, I wouldn't get too worked up over the uni changes.  So far, every change that Khan has made has been made to  impress...   from the locker room, to the sound system, to even the new logo - I don't like it so much in 2D, but I think it looks badass on fabrics - the teal has a slight shimmer to it and the logo itself looks 1,000% better than screen renderings.

This being said, I am expecting something closer to the Seahawks / Oregon theme.  We already know that the unis will be black, but I'm expecting some metallic teal trim with bright, white accents.  I'm expecting the gold to be integrated more into the helmet than the uni - think of a black helmet with a teal and gold pearl finish - more emphasis on the gold.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

I-10east

« Reply #3723 on: February 15, 2013, 11:02:33 PM »
^^^No doubt, Khan has been doing really big things here in Jax, esp considering it was all in the year that he debuted as the team owner. I understand that these uni pics are just renderings and nothing surely is written in stone. I would love to see that (page 240) teal helmet come to life; It uniquely stands out too, more than the typical often boring primary-type color helmet base (black, white, gray, silver etc)

duvaldude08

« Reply #3724 on: February 19, 2013, 01:35:32 PM »
Interesting article I found from October. I didnt know we tried to invade orlando!  :D

Jaguars get keys to U.K.
NFL gives club marketing territory overseas
By Daniel Kaplan, Staff Writer

Published October 15, 2012, Page 1
Font Size   Resize Small Resize Normal Resize Large  |  Print  |  Share  |  Tweet
.The NFL is allowing the Jacksonville Jaguars to market their brand and sell commercially in the United Kingdom, becoming what is believed to be the first U.S. sports team of any league with significant overseas sales and sponsorship rights.

The Jaguars will begin playing annually one game a season in London next year through 2016, and the marketing extension is part of an effort to reshape the club as the U.K.’s “home” NFL team.

NFL Chief Marketing Officer Mark Waller (left), with Jaguars owner Shahid Khan at a conference in London, confirmed there was a new marketing model for the Jaguars and the U.K.
Photo by: NEWSCOM
“We are expanding our territory, under certain conditions, into one of the world’s great countries,” said Mark Lamping, the Jaguars’ president, who flew with team owner Shahid Khan to London last week to meet with business leaders.

The conditions Lamping referred to are designed to ensure the Jaguars do not compete with the NFL’s own international backers. So the Jaguars can sign sponsorships in the U.K., but not with companies that compete with the NFL’s sponsors.

International markets are controlled by the U.S. sports leagues and off limits to individual clubs, one of the reasons why it’s been far tougher for U.S. teams to create an international brand for themselves than, say, English Premier League teams, which do not operate under such league-imposed restrictions. So Manchester United, for example, considered the world’s top sports team brand, can market itself in Asia, or anywhere else in the world.

Within the U.S., teams are tightly regulated by the leagues on where they can sell their marketing rights. In the NFL, teams are restricted to a 75-mile radius around their home stadiums, though exceptions are made in areas with no NFL team. In fact, it was in part the Jaguars’ frustration with that restriction that led them to the U.K.

Khan earlier this year acquired the club, which is located in the NFL’s fourth-smallest market by population and has had recent difficulty filling seats. He made inquiries with the league about expanding the team’s marketing footprint into central Florida, sources said, but was informed this would not be possible as areas such as Orlando are considered Tampa Bay Buccaneers territory. It was then that the Jaguars’ discussions began about not just playing multiple home games in London but receiving marketing rights as part of that, the sources said.

The Jaguars are not alone in being able to market in a foreign country. The Buffalo Bills market in Toronto, where the club plays an annual game, and part of the city falls outside the club’s 75-mile radius.

“The Bills’ home territory is an area extending out 75 miles in all directions from Buffalo,” said Mary Owen, the team’s executive vice president of strategic planning and a member of the NFL international committee. “This includes a large chunk of southern Ontario, including the [Greater Toronto area]. However, because it is in international territory, we coordinate our efforts with the NFL. We have been actively pursuing this territory since the late [1990s] when we did the last major renovation to the stadium.”

The Jaguars’ rights, though, clearly are more expansive than the Bills, who extend not far into an area adjacent to their home market.

Lamping said he aims to sign deals not just in the U.K., but to sign U.K. companies to sponsorships in Jacksonville. While it is unclear if there really is a commercial marketplace for any NFL team in the U.K., Lamping stressed the Jaguars will not be flying solo but working closely with the NFL on the marketing plan. While some consideration had been given to having a Jaguars executive based in London, for now the team will rely on trips there and the league’s London office.

Mark Waller, the NFL’s chief marketing officer, confirmed there was a new marketing model for the Jaguars and the U.K., but he was not available to discuss the issue in greater detail.

The NFL started its international series of regular-season games in London in 2007. The teams to date have been limited to activation events around the game, which will be no different for the St. Louis Rams, the home team later this month.

The Rams “have game-day activation rights but not territorial marketing rights,” said Kevin Demoff, the team’s chief operating officer. “Most everything we did was in partnership with [the] NFL.”

The Rams themselves had committed to a fuller slate of games, before backing off from all but this year’s contest after local stadium officials protested losing the home dates.

The league is working to have a second team play more than one home game annually in London. That club may be the Minnesota Vikings, who might be willing to play an annual game overseas until their new stadium is completed. Vikings President Mark Wilf did not respond for comment.
Jaguars 2.0

FSBA

« Reply #3725 on: February 19, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »
I look forward to Spotted Dick being on the gameday menu  ;)
I support meaningless jingoistic cliches

duvaldude08

« Reply #3726 on: February 19, 2013, 03:53:25 PM »
More renovations being done in other parts of the stadium.

of EverBank Field renovations
 previous slide  || pause » play  next slide     
1. undefined2. undefined3. undefined
 The Jacksonville Jaguars are making plans for the second phase of renovations at EverBank Field. The $3 million first phase was last year and the $4 million second phase should be completed by June.
Photo by Karen Brune Mathis. Purchase this photo
02/19/2013
by Karen Brune Mathis, Managing Editor

The Jacksonville Jaguars organization is planning a $4 million second phase of renovations for player and coaching areas at EverBank Field, following a $3 million first-phase project last year.

Chief Financial Officer Bill Prescott on Monday said the Jaguars organization paid for the first phase and will pay for the second. Completion is expected in late June.

The renovations continue the locker-room and other improvements begun last year and paid for by new owner Shad Khan.

The coach and locker-room facilities had not been renovated since the stadium was built in 1995, according to the Jaguars.

The Jaguars applied with the City for an interior demolition permit for coaches' offices, medical areas and other rooms, including the general manager's room and owner's room.

The owner is listed as Jacksonville Jaguars LLC and Prescott is listed as the contact. Khan is shown on state records as the manager of the limited liability company.

Turner Construction Co. is shown as the contractor for the $80,000 demolition project of 10,023 square feet of space at the 1 EverBank Field Drive stadium.

Populous of Kansas City, Mo., is shown as the design firm.

Plans filed with the City show detailed demolition notes for 32 areas, including the head coach's office and toilet and showers; assistant coaches' rooms; the general manager and the owner's locker rooms; a doctor's office; the hydro room; the rehab room; the training room and weight room; and more.

"This is just phase two of re-doing our areas," said Dan Edwards, senior vice president of communications for the Jaguars.

"Last year's rebuilding of the locker room was phase one," he said, explaining the pending renovations involve the areas that include the training room, rehab area, coaches' locker room, X-ray room and others.

"This is the first renovations of these areas since the stadium was built," he said.

Last year's phase was captured in an Oct. 6, 2012, report in The New York Times by writer Judy Battista that said:

"The Jacksonville Jaguars have one victory, the lowest-ranked offense and one of the worst run defenses after the first month of the N.F.L. season. But they do have wenge-wood lockers and backlighted mirrors."

Khan paid $760 million to buy the Jaguars in January 2012. With new coach Mike Mularkey and veteran General Manager Gene Smith, the team went 2-14 in the first season under Khan's ownership, improving little after Battista's report.

Mularkey and Smith were dismissed after the season ended and Khan brought in new general manager Dave Caldwell and coach Gus Bradley, who has restructured the coaching staff.

The Jaguars recently released a new logo, pricing structure and slogan for 2013 — Stand United — to prepare for the upcoming season, in which the NFL franchise also will play the first of four annual games in London.

The team also wants almost $50 million in new video boards from the City. Jaguars executives said they hope to use creative financing, including revenue the City receives from the stadium.

Battista wrote in October that the Jaguars spent more than $3 million to build the NFL's "most luxurious locker room" that "looks like a cross between a high-end nightclub (a 41,600-watt sound system) and a five-star hotel (stacked stone wall tile) and is so deluxe that the team recently used it to host a dinner for sponsors."

Battista wrote that under Khan's ownership, "the Jaguars have embraced their inner interior designer, replete with two waterfalls that splash into plunge pools, Euro-style toilets inside individual private stalls and leather chairs custom-built extra wide to accommodate even the heftiest linemen. There are ventilation systems built into each locker to dry equipment, helping the Jaguars to pull off the unimaginable: the locker room smells like a new car instead of a sweaty sock."

Battista quoted Khan's son, Tony, a team executive as saying "it's first class, just to show that's how he does things. It's the best locker room in the N.F.L. He wants this to be the best organization in the N.F.L."

Shad Khan paid for it and personally met with the designers and approved the details, according to the Times.

The overhaul was designed to help recruit players and show players they are valued by the Jaguars, according to the report.

"When they recruit players, they may struggle to sell history or endorsement opportunities. But when the door to the locker room swings open, one of the first things visible is an 80-inch television, and that sells something else: the signal that the team will spare no expense to be excellent at everything."

According to the Times: "The locker room looks like a modern SoHo apartment — that is, if modern SoHo apartments had space for shoulder pads — all high ceilings and dim lights. There are a few issues remaining. The large garbage cans around the room, which look like shiny black plastic, do not quite fit the aesthetic the way, say, stainless steel might."

The pending round of renovations includes:

• Corridor, storage and administration work.

• Areas for the head coach, including the toilet and shower area, and for the assistant coach, strength coaches and trainers.

• X-ray room, equipment room, hydro room, doctor office, rehab room, weight room and ceiling.

• Slab demolition for electrical outlets, plumbing and piping.

• General manager and owner's locker room.

The Jaguars played their first home preseason game in the stadium on Aug. 18, 1995, marking the first time in sports history that an expansion team had played its first home game in its inaugural season in a new stadium or arena, reports jaguars.com.

"Not only that, but it was built faster than any major league stadium had ever been built in North America," it said.

The old Gator Bowl was demolished and the new stadium built in 191/2 months.

In 2005, the stadium hosted Super Bowl XXXIX after a $63 million renovation in preparation for the event.

Jaguars 2.0

blizz01

« Reply #3727 on: February 22, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »
Jacksonville Jaguars' Aaron Ross, wife get reality show

NEW YORK (AP) -- Olympic gold medalist Sanya Richards-Ross and her football-playing husband Aaron Ross are the latest to submit themselves to reality television's cameras.

The WE television network said Thursday that it is making "Glam & Gold," a summer series involving the two athletes. Richards-Ross is a four-time medalist and her husband is a defensive back for the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars. The couple met when they both attended the University of Texas.

Since WE is a women's-oriented network, the series will focus on Richards-Ross, who has a family that also serves as business partners. Filming has already begun in Austin and Jacksonville.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000143417/article/jacksonville-jaguars-aaron-ross-olympian-wife-get-reality-show

duvaldude08

« Reply #3728 on: February 27, 2013, 04:49:44 PM »
Guy Whimper is toast.. And two other no name reserves were released. The axe is starting to come down. Im glad to see whimper go. He made my life miserable in 2012. lol
Jaguars 2.0

comncense

• Facebook
« Reply #3729 on: February 27, 2013, 06:43:35 PM »
They should go ahead and release Rahseen while they are at it. There's no way he should come back to the team. MAYBE as a backup but that would be it.

Keith-N-Jax

« Reply #3730 on: February 27, 2013, 08:48:45 PM »
Guy Whimper is toast.. And two other no name reserves were released. The axe is starting to come down. I'm glad to see whimper go. He made my life miserable in 2012. lol

/quote]

He made your life miserable? Imagine how Gabbert and Henne feel.  :)

duvaldude08

« Reply #3731 on: February 27, 2013, 09:26:30 PM »
They should go ahead and release Rahseen while they are at it. There's no way he should come back to the team. MAYBE as a backup but that would be it.

Yeah, poor Rasheen. That knee injury was the end of his career. He cant catch a turtle at this point. To be honest I dont think any of our free agents have much of a chance at returning. I see them working out small deals with darryl smith and greg jones, and thats really it. Everyone else is toast. Cox should stay. If he doesnt get the deal he wants from any other team he will back. Pot Roast included. However, I do feel Brad Meester may stay for another year or two and then retire with the team. A veteran guard is very valuable for a team that is rebuilding. Their experience in reading defenses and sixth sense with what is going on with the line would be an asset. ( I recently educated my self on the guard position  ;D )Not to mention Meester is still playing at a high level.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:37:28 PM by duvaldude08 »
Jaguars 2.0

copperfiend

« Reply #3732 on: February 28, 2013, 08:35:57 AM »

He is a free agent

duvaldude08

« Reply #3733 on: February 28, 2013, 04:47:54 PM »
Good news is...looks like we will be getting our scoreboards. Basically the team will "pay for it", and the city will pay them back via the stadium fund (atleast thats how I intrepetted it). Bad News, Flyer overs may end if the sequester happens  :(

Sequester may end flyovers at Jaguars games this fall

More Sharing ServicesShare on twitterSubmitted by Vito Stellino on February 28, 2013 - 3:01pm

Vito Stellino's Blog
JView this blog post on the All-Access Members site

The Jaguars haven’t been notified yet, but there may not be flyovers at Jaguars games this fall.

An Air Force spokesperson told USA Today that the sequester could end flyovers at sporting events. The Air Force conducts about a thousand flyovers a year at sporting events as part of their training sorties.

Jaguars president Mark Lamping said the Jaguars will find other ways to honor the military if the flyovers are ended, but said he hasn’t got any official notification.

Lamping also said the new $50 million scoreboards will not be installed for this season, but he is optimistic they will be installed by opening day 2014.

He said the team has proposed a funding program to the city in which the city would borrow money for them and they would be paid back from funds that are currently designed for sporting facilities in Jacksonville.

Lamping also said that if the stadium is maintained the Jaguars might not need new a new one in 20 years when the stadium will be almost 40 years old. Many stadiums are replaced after 30 or 40 years of use.

Jaguars 2.0

duvaldude08

« Reply #3734 on: March 04, 2013, 11:22:13 PM »
Is anyone going to the fan forum at the stadium tomorrow? I know alot of you dont really particpate in the offseason stuff, but I will be there. Just wanted to see if I was going to have some company.  ;D
Jaguars 2.0