Friday, October 24, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: The Jacksonville Jaguars  (Read 375528 times)

I-10east

Re: The Jacksonville Jaguars
« Reply #3705 on: February 14, 2013, 08:14:43 PM »
Serious, even today, most people know where Tampa, Orlando and Miami are, but for the most part, outside of Florida, very few people know where Jacksonville even is.

If you don't have any relation with a city, you are more than likely aren't gonna know where it's located. I'm so sick and tired of the 'I don't know where a city is located' as if it's a damn indictment of a city. Dionne Warwick may 'Know her way to San Jose' but right off the bat without using google maps, I dunno where the hell it is; Is that an indictment of SJ? No.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:18:03 PM by I-10east »

duvaldude08

« Reply #3706 on: February 14, 2013, 08:29:21 PM »
Well I dont care about anything right now. I just got my season ticket renewal package with the poster and car decal in it! I am tingly all over right now. The new logo looks awesome. Ive added the poster to the shrine in my "man cave" and Ive already put the decal on my car.  ;D

Yeah, I got mine also. I like the poster, but I'm gonna have a hard time finding a frame (with plastic cover) that will fit it since it's so awkwardly long lengthwise in relation to how short it is in height. (33 X 17) LOL

yeah me too. All my other posters are in a frame. I put it with tape for the time being. Im hoping and stubmle across a poster frame in the store or online that fits.
Jaguars 2.0

KenFSU

« Reply #3707 on: February 14, 2013, 08:39:50 PM »
Out of all the infamous remarks in Woody Paige's legendary column from 1997, the most striking to me was and always will be when he called Jacksonville "the only city in Florida without a beach."

A bit of fun context:

The Denver Post
Yo, Jags: It's time to hit the road, Jack
January 4, 1997
Section: Sports
Page: F-01
Woody Paige

Jacksonville Jaguarss? What league are they in?

When did the NFL start letting USFL teams participate in the playoffs? Did I miss something? Or, are the Jags from that goofy World League or the Continental Basketball Association? After the Broncos dispense with these Jaguarss today, do they face the Barcelona Bobcats or the Birmingham Power & Light?

In the postseason the Denver Broncos are supposed to be playing the Cleveland Browns or the Oakland Raiders or the Buffalo Bills. The opposition should have an Al Davis or a Terry Bradshaw or a Bruce Smith to get riled about. There should be a 30-year rivalry and a playoff history and a spitting disgust for the other team. There should be bad blood and revenge and a suck-it-up sensation.

How do you get worked up to play somebody called Jacksonville with a bunch of nobodies?

Who wants to hurl insults and snowballs at Jaguarss?

Mark Brunell is the quarterback. I give up.

Jacksonville? Is that a semi-pro team or a theme park? Isn't Jacksonville the only Florida city without a beach?

This is the playoff game Denver has been waiting for?

The Broncos go 13-3, yet are forced by the league to play kissyface with Jaguarss. Bring on Pittsburgh - a mean team with meat on the bone.

When the Broncos reach the Super Bowl, skeptics will just say: "Oh, but they beat Jacksonville."

Wasn't Jackson (Miss.) State available?

Oh, I remember Jacksonville now. Expansion team. Been around for a couple of years. I get the Jacksonville Jags confused with the Carolina Panthers, or is it the Carolina Jags and the Florida Panthers? Isn't that the hockey team the Avalanche beat?

I looked it up, and the Jaguarss did win six of their last seven regular-season games, against the likes of Baltimore (twice), Cincinnati, Houston, Seattle and Atlanta. That sounds like a Nebraska schedule. And the Jags squeaked into the playoffs on a quirky missed field goal by Atlanta. The Broncos didn't face such cupcake foes, except for Baltimore and Cincinnati and Seattle, and they marched into the playoffs cremating, for example, Chicago and Minnesota.

Who do these upstart Jaguarss think they are, anyway, coming to Mile High Stadium, where the Broncos haven't lost this season and only once ever in the playoffs? They must think they belong here, but they will learn.

"I told you back before the season began that Jacksonville was going to be a playoff contender," said Adam Schefter, the self-proclaimed, know-it-all pro football expert employed by The Post.

I don't recall that specific statement. I do know that when Jacksonville beat the Broncos in the final exhibition, I said something like: "The Jags are awful. They should have Anita Bryant at middle linebacker."

In Jacksonville, the Broncos put up 17 points early and retired. John Elway played two series Aug. 23, and the rest of the starters lasted about a quarter. But Jaguarss coach Tom Coughlin acted as if his team had just won the Super Bowl. "It was a helluva victory. We played great in the second half to come back and win it."

As if the Broncos were serious.

The conference must be really down this year for Jacksonville to make the playoffs.

Jacksonville reportedly has the No. 1-ranked passing game in the NFL. Wait until the Jaguarss try that stuff at Mile High Stadium. And the Jags bring back center Dave Widell, who was a nice player and swell talk-show host in Denver in his day.

This is easy. It will not be a Jag War.

The tanned, rested and ready Broncos will invalidate the Jaguarss. Instead of "The Drive" and "The Fumble,"

Denver-Jacksonville will be known as "The Blowout." The Broncos are favored by 14. Not enough.

This is where you get off, Jaguarss. No way, no (Natrone) Means.

Broncos 31, Jags 10.

Can we get a legitimate NFL team in here next Sunday.

And, the aftermath:

LA Times
Jaguars Can Wad Up This Story
JACKSONVILLE 30, DENVER 27
January 05, 1997|STEVE SPRINGER

DENVER — Pro football players make hundreds of thousands, sometimes million of dollars. Their fortunes, their reputations and their endorsement possibilities depend on the success of their teams. A trip to the Super Bowl can make a career.

So it is truly amazing that, time after time, players will point to a newspaper article as their source of inspiration for a big game.

Such was again the case Saturday. When Denver Post columnist Woody Paige referred to the Jacksonville Jaguars as the "Jagwads," it became a battle cry for the team. The story was posted on the bulletin board in the team's Mile High Stadium locker room and seven or eight players mentioned the column after Saturday's 30-27 victory over the Denver Broncos as a major rallying point.

"Everybody reads the paper," Jacksonville defensive tackle John Jurkovic said. "We all went to college, so at least the capability is there."

Said running back Natrone Means: "They stuck it in our face. Now they are going to have to live with it."

Good thing for Jacksonville that Paige wrote what he did. Otherwise, the Jaguars, despite playing for a slot in the AFC title game in only their second year, apparently would have come into Saturday's game uninspired.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

I-10east

« Reply #3708 on: February 14, 2013, 09:30:21 PM »
Far as I'm concerned that 'jagwad' year of 1997 called for those 'people don't STILL know where we are' comments that some continue to use. We only have a fortune 500 company that advertises VIA locomotive boxcar etc. all over the freaking East coast just by doing business through commerce; If you doing know where CSX is HQd, I suggest looking it up. It's the only place that you can go to both NY, or LA VIA  only one interstate. It's way on the easternmost end of a major interstate, so I guess people don't know where Santa Monica is either, and all of the other places where interstates end. *end of rant*
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:34:12 PM by I-10east »

comncense

• Facebook
« Reply #3709 on: February 14, 2013, 09:49:24 PM »
I kinda dig those uni's. I can see those actually being the real jerseys. It would definitely coincide with them targeting in on the military connection to the city and the "Stand United" theme.

comncense

• Facebook
« Reply #3710 on: February 14, 2013, 09:50:29 PM »
As far as the season ticket renewals that we received today... WOW, I can't believe my seat went up almost 200 dollars. I'm still going to keep my seat though.

I-10east

« Reply #3711 on: February 14, 2013, 09:57:26 PM »
^^^Damn, even with one game in London? You must have a real good seat. I'm scared to know how much mine went up. Like you Comn, I still keeping them no matter what.

spuwho

« Reply #3712 on: February 14, 2013, 10:08:58 PM »
Kind of goes back to my first point....

You win, the bias swings towards you

You lose, the bias swings against you (unless you are Dallas)

All of that "where is" junk is pretty much old news now.

In 10-12 years, no one will care what people in Denver said in 1997.

duvaldude08

« Reply #3713 on: February 14, 2013, 10:21:18 PM »
^^^Damn, even with one game in London? You must have a real good seat. I'm scared to know how much mine went up. Like you Comn, I still keeping them no matter what.

No. I believe we are in the same section (216). Our went down by 50.00. However, I am moving to 118 since the prices have went down. I'll pay like 60.00 more than I normally pay.
Jaguars 2.0

duvaldude08

« Reply #3714 on: February 14, 2013, 10:31:25 PM »
Kind of goes back to my first point....

You win, the bias swings towards you

You lose, the bias swings against you (unless you are Dallas)

All of that "where is" junk is pretty much old news now.

In 10-12 years, no one will care what people in Denver said in 1997.

Hell no cares what they said now. I found that article a few months ago after hearing about and had to do some DEEP digging. Man did they dog us or what? The only thing they say now is, "they cant fill their stadium" which is died sown significantly because people are starting to realize how stupid they sound. And the only ones talking about the Jags moving. are actually Jaguar fans. (Sad). Once we start back winning, all will be lost in the midst of mother time.  ;D
Jaguars 2.0

comncense

• Facebook
« Reply #3715 on: February 15, 2013, 06:27:53 AM »
I sit in 147, pretty close to the field over in the Bud Zone. My ticket last year was around 570 and now it's 729. Thank God it's no interest on the payment plan. I can deal with the 20 dollar increase per month. Probably would've just spent that on drinks on the weekends anyway :)

Adam W

« Reply #3716 on: February 15, 2013, 06:57:31 AM »
I really like those helmets (even the one with the matte paint job). But the camouflage uniforms are hideous and inappropriate. I really hope they don't go down that route.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #3717 on: February 15, 2013, 08:22:54 AM »
I am going to try and move back to my old section 104. I missed those seats.

duvaldude08

« Reply #3718 on: February 15, 2013, 08:37:59 AM »
I sit in 147, pretty close to the field over in the Bud Zone. My ticket last year was around 570 and now it's 729. Thank God it's no interest on the payment plan. I can deal with the 20 dollar increase per month. Probably would've just spent that on drinks on the weekends anyway :)

I agree. The payment plan make's it possible for everyone to afford tickets. Theres no excuse for anyone to complain about ticket prices. Im keeping my tickets forever. If I have a year where Im struggling finacially, Ill just move to the nosebleeds and pay 35.00 a month. Keep my tickets for life :)
Jaguars 2.0

duvaldude08

« Reply #3719 on: February 15, 2013, 04:45:46 PM »
I just read on Jaguars.com that Caldwell is finished evaluting and has stated we have a good core of players to build around, and it was actually better than he expected. He also stated that if we have a good draft class, we may be closer to being competitive than people think. I guess we can start a fire caldwell thread now?  ;D All jokes aside I agree with him. The team I watched this year played their asses off and just came up short. Given, there were at least six or seven games were we looked completely helpless(on offense, defense, or both). Gabbert was indesicive, bad communication, WR's  getting noperation, the o-line being asleep on the field and the defense not being able to stop the run. But there were also 3 games that went into over time (Minesota, Oakland and Houston) and nearly beat two elite team ( Green Bay and New England). The Houston game was an eye opener to me. While everyone was in a warp zone and becoming suicidal about the team losing, I was looking at something different. No bad team would have kicked ass like that. It showed me that when all phases of the game are at 100% (QB, O-line, Wr's, defense, etc), we can be very dangerous. I remember watching that game in pure shock. That showed me the talent we do have on this team, but the lost showed me where we need work. And that we are capible of being a winning team.
Jaguars 2.0