Author Topic: JTA Cutting Riverside Trolley Service  (Read 15702 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
Re: JTA Cutting Riverside Trolley Service
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2011, 09:22:58 AM »
Umm....why is it ending at the new courthouse, which is on the edge of downtown?  Why not do a loop with Forsyth & Laura that ties the courthouse in with the Landing and Riverside?  On the surface, this revised route makes little sense and goes the concept of having popular destinations with a mix of uses at both ends.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2011, 09:23:39 AM »
The fare increase isn't just for the trolley - it's across the board.

So why should they care about the gas tax expiration when they can just hike the rates 50% per trip.  The most unfortunate part is the riders who don't have another option - the monthly passers, so to speak - they are getting hit with a 25% increase - from $40/month to $50/month. 

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2011, 09:26:52 AM »
Umm....why is it ending at the new courthouse, which is on the edge of downtown?  Why not do a loop with Forsyth & Laura that ties the courthouse in with the Landing and Riverside?  On the surface, this revised route makes little sense and goes the concept of having popular destinations with a mix of uses at both ends.

This has been argued ad naseum in another thread, or maybe even this one, either way the answer is the same - because we at JTA really don't give a shit.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2011, 09:33:27 AM »
Where is the skyway's fare cost?  Are they making it free?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2011, 09:47:59 AM »
So why should they care about the gas tax expiration when they can just hike the rates 50% per trip.

To be fare these increased fares won't even come close to matching the revenue from the gas tax. 

I've officially given up on the Riverside Trolley.  We've proven that transit will work to attract choice riders if you make it relevant.  Relying on JTA isn't the answer.  I think the neighborhood has an innovative idea in regards to parking/transportation... I plan on seeing this idea come to fruition.  To get anything done, you have to do it yourself around here. 

Lake, I finally get it when you talk about cutting JTA out of the fixed transit game.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2011, 09:48:14 AM »
Where is the skyway's fare cost?  Are they making it free?

I called JTA about that and their official stance was, "What skyway?"  ::)
-Douglas Adams

peestandingup

« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2011, 09:49:02 AM »

This has been argued ad naseum in another thread, or maybe even this one, either way the answer is the same - because we at JTA really don't give a shit.

Because that giant courthouse is all that matters downtown & only poor people (the courthouse's big revenue generators) use public transportation. Didn't you get the memo??

tufsu1

« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2011, 09:49:13 AM »
good question about the Skway Lake

now, to the fare increase....$1 was too low, but you can't jump 50% in one shot...St. Johns County (which also has a $1 fare) is considering increasing to $1.25 next year and $1.50 about five years later

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »
Non-Redneck Westsider, who did you talk to at JTA????

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2011, 09:58:30 AM »
Just a bit of sarcasm FSUJax (I think) ;)
-Douglas Adams

peestandingup

« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2011, 10:07:14 AM »
Usually when you increase fares, it's also because the public is getting a better service as well. It's a give & take.

Last I checked, the overall service is as bad as ever. Still an hour wait on buses, still no shelters, still no way to track where the buses are, still duplicate routes, still no skyway extensions that would actually make it useful (or solid plans for breaking ground on streetcars), etc etc.

So it's all take & no give here. Welcome to transit in Jacksonville. Where you'll pay big city fares for garbage service.

Dashing Dan

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2011, 10:09:41 AM »
The big news here is that the fare for all trolleys will be $1.50. 

The downtown trolleys are free now, so this could be a deal breaker for lots of people in our "walkable" downtown.

I could never figure out why they killed the Laura Ocean trolley in 2009.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:13:04 AM by Dashing Dan »
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.  - Benjamin Franklin

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2011, 10:15:57 AM »
haha. ok. guess I missed it, but i was thinking to myself that could be for real.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2011, 10:21:23 AM »
From what I understand JTA reps will be out at Rosa Parks Station today from 10-2 to talk about the fare increase. Ya'll should stop by!

tufsu1

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2011, 11:21:17 AM »
Usually when you increase fares, it's also because the public is getting a better service as well. It's a give & take.

hardly...

Transit agencies all over have been increasing fares while cutting service....fact is, they have to pay for increased fuel/electric charges and like every other government agency, pensions