Author Topic: Remembering The Richmond Hotel  (Read 2277 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Remembering The Richmond Hotel
« on: August 05, 2011, 03:05:40 AM »
Remembering The Richmond Hotel

Now occupied by the DeLoach Furniture Company, the Richmond Hotel is one of a handful of historically significant buildings that survived the 1990s demolition derby party held in LaVilla.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-aug-remembering-the-richmond-hotel

ben says

Re: Remembering The Richmond Hotel
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:42:03 AM »
Sad
Luxury travel & concierge services: www.isserbtravels.com

Dapperdan

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 09:36:53 AM »
Too bad there are no interior shots. Did any of the original hotel rooms survivie?

duvaldude08

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 10:20:03 AM »
Im glad it survivded the Lavilla "redevelopment". I think the only other thing is the former Globe Theater that the Clara White mission uses for housing. Hopefully when the new courthouse is in full effect, this area will finally get some life and much needed attention
Jaguars 2.0

exnewsman

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 10:40:55 AM »
I love the building next door. I wish the first floor windows weren't boarded up. It would look great with large glass windows all around.

MusicMan

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 02:24:54 PM »
This building has great upside but the current asking price is way too high. That asking price would be appropriate if the building were at a much higher level of finish. Since there are no interior pics one can assume that the interior upper floors are a total gut job. A very nicely finished building has been sitting for over one year in the heart of Riverside Market Square (Renaissance at Riverside) for over a year at a much lower price per sq foot.

hightowerlover

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 04:57:49 PM »
I am going to go out on a limb and say the furniture store is still open considering the deloach furniture truck parked out front.

urbaknight

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 06:35:45 PM »
There's enough available office space in our skyscrapers. Let's use this building as apartments with the first floor used as some kind of market, bakery or deli. Cities of the Northease have achieved vibrancy and liveliness because they're full of buildings just like this!

The idea I just mentioned would be the very definition of "urban density" and "infill" that our DownTown so desperately needs.

So let us rally to make this idea of mine a reality. 

Well, it's not really "my" idea, it's been used in big cities for hundreds of years.

north miami

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 07:45:58 AM »

I am no expert in these matters but urbaknight idea (above post) certainly seems worth repeating.

How cool would it be to be able to transport back in time and experience the 40's era.

At least now it seems we can look forward with anticipation.

MusicMan

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 05:08:26 PM »
You should check out Churchwell Lofts. 301 East Bay St.

It is exactly what you are describing. Awesome residential lofts above a
great street level 'sandwich shop,' OLIO.

acme54321

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »
This building has great upside but the current asking price is way too high. That asking price would be appropriate if the building were at a much higher level of finish. Since there are no interior pics one can assume that the interior upper floors are a total gut job. A very nicely finished building has been sitting for over one year in the heart of Riverside Market Square (Renaissance at Riverside) for over a year at a much lower price per sq foot.

Not to mention this building is rather isolated now.

Timkin

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
Still ....it would be interesting to see what it looks like inside.    I have ridden by this building all these years, and had no idea.    I hope it somehow survives a decade or so longer, so that downtown can revive, and perhaps it can be blended into some future use.  Glad it remains as one of the very few remaining  LaVilla Landmark buildings.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 08:38:53 PM »
I wonder if the Owners of the DeLoach Furniture Company are really aware of the history of that building and the gold mine that their company is now located in. As most of you know I grew up in LaVilla; but never knew the history of that building until I joined this forum.

"HU"
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

JaxNative68

• Be obscure clearly
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 02:08:53 PM »
Are there any historical photos of this building available?  I would love to see what it looked like back in the day in its prime.  Currently it looks bastardized and horrible.

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 01:58:46 PM »

Not to mention this building is rather isolated now.

I think they have expectations of the day arriving when the courthouse is finally finished, then it'll be good for office space.

Shame it's had to languish in the meantime, though.