Follow Us

Saturday, April 19, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: A Revitalized Downtown: East Village Arts District  (Read 1280 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
A Revitalized Downtown: East Village Arts District
« on: January 28, 2011, 03:03:04 AM »
A Revitalized Downtown:  East Village Arts District

I never really liked where I have lived for the last fifteen years until I spent more time in Jacksonville, Florida. While a bit of an oxymoron, I have a vacation home in Historic Springfield, purchased three and a half years ago. I love the simplicity, I love the people, and I love the peacefulness of living in the neighborhood. And the obvious: I love the old houses.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-jan-a-revitalized-downtown-east-village-arts-district

Kiva

Re: A Revitalized Downtown: East Village Arts District
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 06:14:52 AM »
Great article. It seems that the city council there was really encouraging this redevelopment. We need to get a Jacksonville city council that embraces this type of revitalization, instead of encouraging more sprawl.

Jumpinjack

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 08:34:53 AM »
I enjoyed your article and yes, Springfield could become the arts corridor and go-to place for our town.
Why keep thinking that the council or any governmental agency is going to do this? Residents with a plan and commitment will do it.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 08:46:52 AM »
Good morning to you too GG!

Great article Nicole!
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

fieldafm

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 10:24:26 AM »
Great article Nicole. 
Hasn't there been a newly formed arts organization aimed at promoting the arts downtown?
Does anyone have anymore info on who/what this organization does?

I was at the Best of Jax party last night at Moca.  It was real nice seeing some afterhours vibrancy in and around the Hemming Plaza area.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 10:28:06 AM »
Great article Nicole. 
Hasn't there been a newly formed arts organization aimed at promoting the arts downtown?
Does anyone have anymore info on who/what this organization does?

I was at the Best of Jax party last night at Moca.  It was real nice seeing some afterhours vibrancy in and around the Hemming Plaza area.

Its actually a coalition of different efforts that is just now beginning to congeal.  Part of Peyton's secret program.
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

Dashing Dan

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 11:16:05 AM »
Five Points in Riverside seems to be a lot like the East Village in Long Beach.  Park and King, also in Riverside, is an up-and-comer.  Riverside is a model for inclusiveness, and it's somewhat artist-friendly.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.  - Benjamin Franklin

hillary supporter

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 12:39:51 PM »
Five Points in Riverside seems to be a lot like the East Village in Long Beach.  Park and King, also in Riverside, is an up-and-comer.  Riverside is a model for inclusiveness, and it's somewhat artist-friendly.
Hear! Hear!

aubureck

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 01:09:56 PM »
Great article and I love the pictures!  Great job Nicole!
The Preservationist

Fallen Buckeye

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 06:13:02 PM »
This article is great example of how restoring downtown could benefit all of Jax, too.

jcabronx

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »
Wow? Great article. I can imagine Jax like Long Beach soon.

sheclown

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 08:36:24 PM »
What Jacksonville dubs as graffiti, Long Beach embraces as art, and pays to have it adorn the sides of buildings, electrical boxes on the curb, and yup, sidewalks.
;D ;D ;D

Nicole, what a great comparison.  And you are correct.  We need to DO IT.

sheclown

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 08:39:59 PM »
The East Village Arts District is also home to Soundwalk, a unique sound art festival, which began in 2004.  Soundwalk is a series of site specific sound installations and sound art performances and attracts renowned sound artists from around the world.

I want a sound garden down Main Street.   :o

sheclown

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 08:41:41 PM »
When things happen here, they don't take 10,000 years to complete.  Work happens daily, without delay, until the job gets done.  The city and its community groups and agencies take responsibility for making Long Beach a great city to live, work, and play in.  They don't point fingers, they don't look the other way, they work together and make good things happen.  And here is a mind blowing concept.  THEY COMMUNICATE!  I must too make a strong supporting “whoot whoot” for the nine council members of Long Beach.  They get it, they are aware, and they listen to their neighborhoods and actively lead a multitude of unique programs for the betterment of their hood.  Sounds pretty perfect and the ironic thing is I would not have ever had this epiphany had I never spent extended time in Jacksonville.   Jacksonville can learn from Long Beach.  I say it's time to learn, aw hell, its past time to learn, time to get out there and just do it.

It's leadership.  Plain and simple.  Without it there is either chaos or inactivity.  With it, there is renaissance.

uptowngirl

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 10:06:16 AM »
Great article Nichole!!!