Saturday, October 25, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Pizza Italian vs. Prima Potti  (Read 2011 times)

ben says

Pizza Italian vs. Prima Potti
« on: November 07, 2010, 02:21:58 PM »
Anyone actually been to Pizza Italian in 5 Points? Looks horrible, but it's been around forever. Looking for some sort of review.

And how is Prima Potti (sp?) in King Street area? Near Sumo...looks great, can't tell.

My inlaws are from Sicily, coming in town soon, and I need an Italian place that's actually authentic/good.
Luxury travel & concierge services: www.isserbtravels.com

Dog Walker

Re: Pizza Italian vs. Prima Potti
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 03:36:35 PM »
Pizza Palace in 5 Points is Italian/Greek, like most of the Italian places here.   Good pizza, good lazania, calzones.  Basic, fresh, nothing fancy.

Prima Patti?  Ask someone else.  Got food poisoning the first time I ate there shortly after they opened and have never been back.

Try La Cena downtown for high end.

I'm not a huge fan of Italian food available here having been spoiled as a young man by REAL Italian/Neopolitan food prepared by a master.
When all else fails hug the dog.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 03:59:40 PM »
La Cena - Dowtown, classic, continental Italian
Taverna - San Marco, rustic italian
Joseph's Pizza - Northside, classic italian & pizza
Pizza Italiano - 5 Points, classic italian

I would recommend any of these.  Depending on what you're looking for ambiance wise, La Cena & Taverna are both more upscale with extensive wine lists and both ran by Owner/Chef.  Joseph's is family owned and operated 2nd generation Italian/Americans, casual, family restaurant.  Pizza Italiano, I've only eaten there once, but not because of the food - it was really tasty and huge portions.

While they're here, although not Italian, I would suggest Orsay for a fine dining evening, they will impress you with their flavors and service and 13 Gypsies for a tapas style mouth orgasm.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

A-Finnius

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 04:07:49 PM »
I've eaten at Primi Piatti once and it was very good.  I was quite impressed. 

I've only had the pizza at Pizza Italian and it was okay but nothing special.

thekillingwax

• TFR is for lovers.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 06:57:15 PM »
My wife likes Pizza Italian- I've tried a few different things there and don't care for it. The baked dishes were extremely watery and just not very good. The bread they serve is just Cole's that you can buy at the grocery store. I they're still around for the same reason Cotten's on main is- people think they're slummin' and care more for the crusty dive atmosphere more than the food itself.

77danj7

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 07:55:38 PM »
I know we ate at Pizza Italian with some friends a couple years ago and it was terrible...The pizza dough tasted like dish water.

Miss Fixit

Pizza Italian vs. Prima Potti
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 08:39:50 PM »
Primi Piati was very good each time we've eaten there.  Pizza Italian does an ok eggplant parmagiana for lunch.  La Cena is excellent.

exnewsman

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 08:54:56 PM »
Don't forget about Case Dora on Forsythe downtown.

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 10:28:33 PM »
I often use urban spoon for dining reviews:
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/44/481361/restaurant/Riverside/Pizza-Italian-Jacksonville
Looks like pizza italian has 70% approval with 48 votes. Not that great by popular vote.
Jags season ticket holder.

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
Prima Piatti had a rough start a few years back when they first opened, to be sure. They hired a real snotty waiter, and had an incident with a malfunctioning freezer. But since then they have honestly evolved into one of the top two Italian restaurants in the city. La Cena would be the other one, LC is traditional Italian and Prima Piatti is Northern Italian. It really is worth trying again dog walker you woudn't be disappointed, we have nothing else like it in town. The owner and his wife run it themselves now and attention to detail is perfect.

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 07:59:31 AM »
Oh and Pizza Italian is good cheap eats, dinner for two is like <$20. The food is nothing special, but I'd sure take it over olive garden or the other chain Italian places most of this city flocks to any day. My only gripe is they don't serve wine of any kind. 

ben says

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 08:16:20 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. Although it wasn't in the subject line, I got the menu for La Cena for forwarded it to my in-laws. They said it's the most traditional Italian menu they've seen in America outside of New York. Will probably head down there.
Luxury travel & concierge services: www.isserbtravels.com

Overstreet

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 08:31:10 AM »
...........Prima Piatti had a rough start a few years back ...............

Fortunately they have a name different than the subject line.  The subject line makes it sound more like a sanitary services company frequently found on construction projects.  Which would cause a rough start..............

RiversideLoki

• What do you mean we can't turn left here?
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 08:54:56 AM »
Pizza Italian is good food and has consistency. I love their veal parm. Definitely do not go there expecting atmosphere. The place is older and feels a bit dingy. But the service is good.

The owner is Greek (I think?) so the food is definitely more Greek inspired than straight up Italian. It's really inexpensive. I agree with the bummer feeling on the lack of wine. But his target market has always been the younger set looking for a good meal.

Prima Piatti is really good, although a bit expensive. They keep the place clean and it has great atmosphere. Their Calamari Fritti is to die for.

Pizza Palace doesn't even count as Italian to me. I love them for their pizza. Al's pizza is OK and consistent. But if you've eaten at Al's once, you've eaten there a billion times. Italian entrees there aren't even as good as Olive Garden and tend to be a bit bland.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:57:05 AM by RiversideLoki »
Find Jacksonville on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/jacksonville!

Kay

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 09:16:10 AM »
I love Primi Piatti.  I've always had great meals there and they've got a great Cab--Postido ( I think is the name).  Hopefully the word will spread and more people will go as I'd hate to see them close.

Dog Walker, you need to give them another shot.