Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Craft Breweries of Jacksonville

A look into Northeast Florida's popular craft brewing industry.

Published June 6, 2014 in Neighborhoods      18 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Aardwolf Brewing Company
1461 Hendricks Ave
Jacksonville, FL 32207

Phone:(904) 301-0755

Breathing life back into an abandoned building, while still maintaining the aesthetics that made the architecture uniquely charming, is no simple task. Rustic is an understatement when it comes to Aardwolf’s handsome taproom. It would have been easier to tear the building down and start from scratch, but they were determined to renovate and hold onto the charm the old building had. After several years of renovation, Aardwolf’s taproom finally opened in September of last year.

Before he was with Aardwolf, Michael partnered with the Brewer’s Pizza to get them open in Orange Park. He had been working at Terrapin Beer Company in Georgia, and was biding his time until he could open a brewery of his own. Aardwolf is the embodiment of many years of hard work and passion for brewing. Their co-founder, Preben, was working at a natural food market in Five Points when he met Michael:

“…I found a job at Grassroots in Five Points where the owners would eventually impart their love of craft beer to me. It’s through the medium of craft beer sales I met Michael Payne. For about 4 years I had been honing my skills and knowledge of the craft beer industry locally as well as nationally with thoughts of potentially someday seeking a regional marketing position for a craft brewery. Michael approached me about partnering up in opening Aardwolf several years ago. Being able to market your own product, and being a part of the rapidly evolving City of Jacksonville beer scene is the best of all worlds.”

Even though Aardwolf has only been open for less than a year, they are already planning on expanding. They plan to triple their current capacity for the beers sent out to various bars and restaurants. In October, Aardwolf will be holding an event sponsoring local green businesses, here in Jacksonville. This will be their second year running the Green Lion Festival. The taproom often holds events and features local food trucks. They strive to involve themselves in the community, supporting local charities and businesses. It is definitely a place worth enjoying a beer (or glass of wine wine) at.

Keep up to date through their website or their Facebook:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Noone

June 06, 2014, 04:41:56 AM
Pub Crawl!

Lucasjj

June 06, 2014, 06:47:24 AM
Great piece!

You may have an editing issue though. Pringle Head is showing up on both pages 6 and 7. It looks like it got copied onto the Mile Marker page.

June 06, 2014, 07:30:05 AM
Thanks for pointing that out. It appears it was accidently copied over during the editing process. I've asked for the original to reinsert as soon as possible.

June 06, 2014, 07:52:48 AM
Fixed.

BridgeTroll

June 06, 2014, 08:50:32 AM
Great article!  When out and in the mood for beer in the area I always order a local craft beer.  If at least one is not on the menu I inform management of my displeasure and ask why.  They never can provide a very good answer... and usually have a Bold City or Intuition available the next time I drop in.

Ask for local beer!

CG7

June 06, 2014, 04:19:45 PM
I don't always drink beer... but when I do it's brewed in Jacksonville. My wife thinks I'm the most interesting man in the world..

funwithteeth

June 06, 2014, 04:23:13 PM
I was at Applebee's yesterday—don't ask why—and was pleasantly surprised to see they had a couple of Bold City beers on tap.

coredumped

June 06, 2014, 04:46:19 PM
I've never heard of VuBrew but I'm excited to try them out! Looks like they're working on opening up soon.

How come the other brewers in jax weren't included? River City and 7 Bridges? Do they not qualify as Craft Brew? They brew on site.

June 06, 2014, 04:55:18 PM
^Looks like these were all the production breweries (the ones that can distribute their beer off-site). River City, 7 Bridges, and several others are brew pubs that can only sell their beer on premises.

Charles Hunter

June 06, 2014, 07:33:14 PM
Great article!  I try to order local when out and about.  Good idea, BridgeTroll, about commenting to the management if they don't have some local brews on tap.

Bativac

June 06, 2014, 10:45:22 PM
Duke's Cold Nose Brown Ale is easily my favorite beer, and my first choice whenever I'm out. Try it, if you haven't!

coredumped

June 06, 2014, 11:57:13 PM
Agreed, BCB is by far my favorite brewery, most everything they make is awesome.

mtraininjax

June 07, 2014, 08:40:29 AM
After speaking with the owners over the Memorial Day weekend, I found it very interesting how they really never had an issue with the whole 3-tier system in State of Florida. They don't sell alot of cans out of their Riverside location, unlike another brewery, so the who sales issue out of the tap room would not have affected them.

BCB has built a great business model. If one was interested in creating a brewery, you should start there and ask questions. Smart people with a very good local product!

ProjectMaximus

June 11, 2014, 02:04:18 PM
Anybody know about this? Randomly came across this...32224 is where UNF is.

Brewery In Planning - Jacksonville
Jacksonville, FL 32224
Type: Planning

Non-RedNeck Westsider

June 11, 2014, 04:15:17 PM
I also noticed a couple links on FB where Mile Marker is closing their taproom?

I haven't seen anywhere that gives the full story or if anyone knows for sure, but if you do, could you post it up.

coredumped

June 11, 2014, 04:51:57 PM
I also noticed a couple links on FB where Mile Marker is closing their taproom?

Where's the beer guy when you need him? Here's his blog post:
Full article:

In short, no one knows more than what they posted on FB:
To all of our friends, supporters, customers and fellow beer lovers, our tap room is now closed. (Not opening today, Sunday). Please visit some of the other awesome bars and restaurants that carry Mile Marker beer and tell them we sent ya there! We’d love to know where you are drinking Mile Marker beer! Thank you to everyone, and especially to our regular customers, thank you! Try not to cry in your beer, ok?

Josh

June 11, 2014, 09:20:29 PM
Guess I'll never get that IOU for the pint glass they owe me.

Local Artist