Image courtesy of the State Archives of Florida.
Constructed in 1921, the original Acosta Bridge was the first automobile and only streetcar crossing over the St. Johns. It was also the first vertical lift bridge in the state and the first in the Southeast to use a pneumatic process for the placement of its caissons. Originally known as the St. Johns River Bridge, the "Yellow Monster" was eventually named for City Councilman St. Elmo W. Acosta, who convinced voters to approve the bond issue to build the bridge. The old bridge was originally called the St. Johns River Bridge. Tolls were charged until 1940, earning more than $4 million for the city.
Image courtesy of State Archives of Florida.
Due to high maintenance costs and increased traffic flow, it came down in the 1990's to make way for the Acosta Bridge we know today. The current 1,645 foot long Acosta Bridge opened to traffic in 1993. It carries six lanes of vehicular traffic and the two-track Skyway Express in the center. The longest span is 630 feet in length and it has a clearance of 75 feet.