Thursday, July 24, 2014

John Scott's Top 40 Songs from Jacksonville (Part I)

Jacksonville’s contributions to pop music are enormous and sadly, mostly overlooked. This list of Jacksonville’s Top 40 hopes to end the overlooking and start the appreciating. John Scott is part of Jacksonville's Big Show on 99.1 WQIK on from 5:30AM - 10AM.

Published June 8, 2013 in Culture      20 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Jacksonville’s contributions to pop music are enormous and sadly, mostly overlooked. This list of Jacksonville’s Top 40 hopes to end the overlooking and start the appreciating.  Just to explain some guidelines in this list, the songs used in this list had to be released as singles and had to have charted on a Billboard US chart. What constitutes “from Jacksonville”? Those born here, those that lived here for at least a year or so, or bands that were formed here.

The rankings are subjective, I’ve tried to combine the longevity of living in this area with the enormity of the actual song (and actually, it’s just fun to put Limp Bizkit and Pat Boone adjacent to each other), so please don’t take the adjoining numbers too seriously, just enjoy the incredible variety of music that has come forth from the area.

40. “Here I Go Again” – Glenn Jones (1992) Jax native Glenn Jones was a mainstay on the R&B Top 40 charts from 1983 through 1994. “Here I Go Again” is his sole number one R&B hit, knocking Vanessa Williams’ “Saving the Best For Last” off of the top spot.

39. “It’s Almost Tomorrow” – The Dream Weavers (1955)   The Dream Weavers began as a duo in Miami, but hit their stride as a group while attending the University of Florida. Jackson grad Lee Turner was pianist for the group and another Jacksonville native Eddie Newsom played bass. The group recorded their lone top 10 hit in Jacksonville.

38. “Precious, Precious” -  Jackie Moore (1970) A true Jacksonville collaboration, written and produced by Jacksonville’s Dave Crawford, Moore  was one of the few southern-style soul hit makers on the R&B charts in the 70s. This, her only song to hit the pop charts, went top 30.

37. “Face Down” – Red Jumpsuit Apparatus (2006) Middleburg rock band debuted with their biggest hit, charting in the top 5 on the Alternative charts and top 25 pop hit helping their debut album go gold.

36. “Whatta Man” – Salt n Pepa with En Vogue (1993) The song was originally written by Jacksonville’s David Campbell, a minor R&B hit in 1968 for Linda Lyndell. With the powerhouse teaming of two of the sassiest trios in R&B/Hip Hop history, this song in its revamped form became a smash.

35. “So Into You” -- Atlanta Rhythm Section (1977) The ARS morphed out of the Classics IV, a Jacksonville band that we’ll see later in the countdown; a couple of the Jacksonville natives joined ARS. This slow-cooked brooding southern rock gem typifies the ARS, crack musicians who know how to hit the pocket. A top 5 pop hit.

1 2 3 4 NEXT

I-10east

June 08, 2013, 06:38:02 AM
Awesome stuff!!! I can't wait until part two.

June 08, 2013, 08:18:31 AM
Great list.  I had no idea that someone from Jax was a member of the Commodores!

sheclown

June 08, 2013, 09:36:45 AM
Thanks for this!!!  How wonderful.

Traveller

June 08, 2013, 09:41:15 AM
Great list, but I'm pretty sure the Cherry Street mentioned in "Ocean Avenue" is the one in Neptune Beach, not Riverside.

JayBird

June 08, 2013, 09:56:58 AM
LoL and just when I was looking to go to the beach in Riverside!
But great list though, didn't know half of the Jax connections listed.

sonoandrea

June 08, 2013, 11:09:53 AM
This is great!   When do we get part 2???

coredumped

June 08, 2013, 11:10:08 AM
Somewhat off topic, Josh Turner (pretty big country star) did a song about Jacksonville. Unfortunately it didn't get much airplay.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aOq7uKP2AEY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aOq7uKP2AEY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
(Not my video)

CityLife

June 08, 2013, 12:09:25 PM
I was surprised at "If You're Going to San Francisco" only being #31, but then I saw the criteria for the poll. Scott Mackenzie was really just born in Jax...so that makes sense. Doubt there are more than 5-10 songs better or more important than it on the list.

So what are we looking at in the top 10? Ramblin Man, Jessica, Mo Money Mo Problems, Feel So Good, Free Bird, Sweet Home Alabama, Georgia on My Mind, Hit the Road Jack?

sheclown

June 08, 2013, 01:54:27 PM
Flirting with disaster

John Scott

June 08, 2013, 02:52:08 PM
Thanks for the love for my first MJ article. CityLife, nice guesses. all of your suggestions could warrant inclusion, I used a couple from Brother Ray and one from Mase just to give the entire 40 a more varied representation. If on merit alone, Allmans, Skynyrd and Ray could've filled the whole list. Thanks for taking the corresponding numbers with a grain of salt, all for fun and conversation.

acme54321

June 08, 2013, 03:04:24 PM
I expect a lot of southern rock in the top 20!

ProjectMaximus

June 08, 2013, 03:19:53 PM
Maybe some cold, shine down, black kids? Ray Charles? Fantasia? Will be interesting.

Yellowcard has a song about Avondale so cherry st in riverside is conceivable.

JayBird

June 08, 2013, 03:36:15 PM

Yellowcard has a song about Avondale so cherry st in riverside is conceivable.

First it specifically mentioned the song as "Ocean Avenue", second if you know the song, you'd hv known the lyric was putting your toes in sand on the beach at the end of Cherry Street. Still Riverside?

JayBird

June 08, 2013, 03:37:09 PM
I expect a lot of southern rock in the top 20!
+100

deathstar

June 10, 2013, 12:37:37 AM
I have a little bit of a fuss about this, sorry, but.. Tim McGraw can't be considered a part of this list. Grew up here? Yes. Born here? No. Also, "there's a place on the corner of Cherry Street, we would walk on the **beach** on our bare feet." Last I checked, there's apartments and Willow Branch Library on the corner of Cherry Street.

clay county mom

June 12, 2013, 07:38:17 PM
Shorty Medlocke was Rickey's Grandfather~

I-10east

June 12, 2013, 08:06:06 PM
I wanna give a mention to Duval's own T. Rone best known with "Hello Love". *NSFW*

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ABHYWsMQpY

John Scott

June 13, 2013, 07:35:49 AM
Shorty Medlocke was Rickey's Grandfather~

clay county mom, thanks for the correction on Shorty!

sonoandrea

June 13, 2013, 02:12:30 PM

@deathstar - John Scott stated that for the purposes of this article, "from Jacksonville" would be defined as "Those born here, those that lived here for at least a year or so, or bands that were formed here."  As Scott stated in the listing, Tim McGraw lived in Jacksonville and worked at Pappa's.  Ergo, he qualifies.

Bativac

June 13, 2013, 04:59:51 PM

Wrong Cherry Street. Seven or 8 years ago, my friends and I rented a place on Cherry Street in Neptune Beach, FL which I think most people would consider a part of the Jacksonville area. We walked to the beach in our bare feet all the time.