Thursday, April 24, 2014

Something Kool on Main Street

Courtesy of Myspringfield.org, Metro Jacksonville highlights the newest addition to Springfield's dining scene: Kool Beans Cafe.

Published October 15, 2012 in Dining & Nightlife      15 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Sam Hunt has owned other Springfield businesses before, but his newest endeavor is by far the Koolest.

The former owner of Moe’s Tavern (now Shanty Town) says owning a bar was a great idea in theory, but not in practice. Instead, Sam had other ideas.

“I’ve always wanted to do a nice restaurant & café in the neighborhood, and I’ve always loved this building”, the longtime Springfield resident explained. “I really just wanted to do my part for the neighborhood, and I feel like this is it”.

Kool Beans Café is now open at 1610 N. Main Street, a circa 1900 original house converted into commercial space, and offers a unique mix of Mom & Pop, the deep south, and something exotic, both on the menu and on the walls.

“I took my dining experiences from 10 years in Europe and 4 in Charleston, South Carolina and put them into this restaurant. I wanted to create a unique ambiance and interesting setting with character, while offering quality, homemade meals at reasonable prices. That’s the slogan  - We don’t fake it, we bake it”.

One third classic coffee shop featuring locally brewed Condaxis coffee & tea products, one third down home casual fare with thick-cut ham & cheese paninis and chicken salad sandwiches, and one third authentic Italian cuisine with dishes like spicy penne all’ arrabiata and the ever-popular pasta ala carbonara, the menu is diverse. And that’s how Sam likes it.

“I really thought I’d just do Italian meals and wine in the evenings, but the more I listened to the wants of the neighborhood, I realized that breakfast and lunch were a need too. I want have something for everyone, so not only to we offer hot soups and salads, but also home baked goods, beer and wine, and Yoohoos too.”

If there’s a fourth note to Kool Beans, it’s the eclectic mix of décor, where you’ll find an a collection of paintings Sam has acquired through the years, along with a variety of curious antiques collected during his travels. Homey and warm, there’s back patio garden seating too.

Future plans include front landscaping and fountain, and eventually an expanded deck in the rear of the building.

Kool Beans Café provides Wi-Fi and is open Monday through Saturday, for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and evenings. Check their Facebook page for specials and other details.

In the meantime, take a tour of the cafe and menu . . .

Article by Bill Hoff at www.myspringfield.org

Share this article   digg   delicious   reddit   myspace   technorati   google   newsvine

jaxlore

October 15, 2012, 09:51:21 AM
This looks pretty cool. Will have to check it out!

JeffreyS

October 15, 2012, 11:12:04 AM
Looks great I will try it sometime this week.

Bridges

October 15, 2012, 11:37:22 AM
Best Quiche in town.  Yeah, I said it.

Debbie Thompson

October 15, 2012, 01:07:28 PM
Enjoyed al fresco dining on the deck Friday night with live music from Springfield's own Doug V.

Bill Hoff

October 15, 2012, 05:17:52 PM
Good coffee + homemade-ish food + table space = a good place to study, do office work, & have group meetings.

Seraphs

October 15, 2012, 10:31:07 PM
Hate to be a spoil sport.  I hope it lasts.

sheclown

October 16, 2012, 10:52:39 AM
Hate to be a spoil sport.  I hope it lasts.

It is a great location with a proven track record.  And then there's Sam...!

Of course it will last.

sheclown

October 16, 2012, 11:07:28 AM
My great friend, Uncle Kenny Dread, is playing at Kool Beans on Friday night.

This is his sound:

@ 6 and @ 9

sheclown

October 16, 2012, 04:47:53 PM
   Recording Artist Uncle Kenny Dread White will be performing Inspirational Classics with Guitarist Jarad Bell and some other notable artist. Kenny has hosted International Artist such as; Bill Pinkney, Original Dritters Christafari, Bobby Rush, John Lee Hocker, and many more. Uncle Kenny is a Jacksonville native, with music styles ranging from Raggae, Classic Rock, Gospel, and R&B. Limited seating is available so this will be a RSVP event. Come Join us, bringing in the Fall Season with this memorable event..In addition, this is the kick-off to the Saint Mary's November 3rd OutReach and Camps Festival's 100 Year Anniversary of Community Service which is located at 9th and Laura Street in Historic Springfield.

02roadking

October 17, 2012, 08:43:19 AM
Tried some take-out last night. I liked it. The sampling of quiche that Sam let my girlfriend take away was very, very good.

sheclown

October 23, 2012, 05:48:33 PM
Kenny will be playing next to Kool Beans during the cruise on Saturday.

K_Beans

October 24, 2012, 09:21:57 PM
GLBT Thursdays.....It Pride Day everyday at Kool Beans Cafe but Thursday and every Thursday is your day to shine! We will offer two for one drink specials and buy one meal and get the other half price. Show your colors and join us at Kool Beans Cafe for a nice and colorful evening of fun and activity. We're at 1610 North, Main Street, Jacksonville, FL 32206. Tel: 904-358-6874. :)

K_Beans

October 24, 2012, 09:49:51 PM
Dragin on Main Street Starts next Thursday....winner gets $150.00! Registration and program approval required!
Kool Beans Cafe 1610 N. Main Street. Jacksonville, FL Tel: 904-358-6874.

sheclown

November 25, 2012, 09:31:57 AM

steamy & delicious bean soup, warm fire...Kool Beans!

ChriswUfGator

November 25, 2012, 05:25:19 PM
Kool Beans Cafe 1610 N. Main Street. Jacksonville, FL Tel: 904-358-6874.

What is that?