Thursday, July 24, 2014

Urban Construction Update - April 2012

A brief look at the status of various projects under construction in and around Downtown Jacksonville during the month of April 2012.

Published April 18, 2012 in Development      23 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

DOWNTOWN

Duval County Courthouse

Streetscape improvements surrounding the county courthouse continue to be made.  New sidewalks, curbs and gutters are now being installed on West Adams Street.  The courthouse is expected to be completed next month.

Court Yard Cafe

Tenant buildout of the the Court Yard Cafe is now underway in the Courthouse parking garage at Adams and Pearl Streets.

7-Eleven - Julia & Forsyth

Interior buildout continues at the BB&T parking garage.

7-Eleven - Main & Union

Construction is underway at the intersection of Main and Union Streets.

Sweet Lady Blue

Interior construction continues on Sweet Lady Blue.  For more information on Sweet Lady Blue: http://www.sweetladyblue.com/

Baptist/Wolfson's Tower

Julia's Urban Grocery

This building at 1520 Prudential Drive will become downtown's latest grocery market.  The owner compares its environment will be similar to Trader Joe's, but on a smaller scale.

1 2 3 NEXT

Charles Hunter

April 18, 2012, 06:57:17 AM
Curious that Jimmy John's hasn't taken down any of the signs for the old business there.  If it weren't for MJ, I would think AJ's is renovating the place.  Maybe they are planning a Big Reveal when they open?

Garden guy

April 18, 2012, 07:35:12 AM
Im so ready for the new Derbyhouse to open. But i guess itll never be as it was. I breakfast going to be quick and simple or is it going to take an hour and cost $20 for a cup of coffee and an egg?

Lucasjj

April 18, 2012, 08:00:32 AM
Beer:30 A Craft Beer Emporium

^Anyone know more information on this? This is the first I have heard of this.

Captain Zissou

April 18, 2012, 09:13:11 AM
WHATTTTTTTTTTTTT??  No Pulp??  Say it isn't so!!!!!!!!

Also, Sushi Cafe's new location about 3 spaces down is getting built out.  I am so glad they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.  Tijuana Flats+Sushi Cafe+ Chew will make for a pretty lively area on margaret street.

This is the first I'm hearing of Beer:30 as well.  Anybody have any info??  I'm pretty excited about this and Beau Outfitters.

April 18, 2012, 09:19:09 AM
What, no Aardwolf?

JUGrad

April 18, 2012, 09:21:26 AM

There's a Tijuana Flats over there?

April 18, 2012, 09:24:03 AM
What, no Aardwolf?

I don't think construction has started yet on Aardwolf.  Also didn't post Pulp because it appears little (if anything) has been done since the last month and the construction dumpster has been removed.

April 18, 2012, 09:25:53 AM

There's a Tijuana Flats over there?

I forgot about this one.  Tijuana Flats is planning to take over Sushi Cafe's current location.  I'm glad to hear that Sushi Cafe is preparing to shift a few storefronts down instead of closing.  Is Sushi Cafe going into the old Quizno's spot?

ben says

April 18, 2012, 09:34:26 AM

There's a Tijuana Flats over there?

Yes, I believe so.

Captain Zissou

April 18, 2012, 10:04:56 AM

There's a Tijuana Flats over there?
Yes they are.  I find it interesting that T-Flats didn't just take the Quizno's spot and Sushi Cafe stayed where it was, but I guess it is still a profitable deal for the landlord despite twice the build-out costs.  I wonder if T-Flats had to sign a long term lease, if Sushi cafe got a reduced rent by moving to the quiznos spot, or if T-Flats is paying far more than Sushi Cafe did.

Sushi Cafe has been in that space for over 10 years, so I imagine they were wanting to do a little updating anyway.  I wonder if the interior will look mostly the same, or if they will go with a new design.

Between: Chew, T-Flats, Mellow Mushroom, G&G, Carmines new place, the relocated Sushi Cafe, the probable relocation of 'Town...etc...  We're going to have a very lively and delicious neighborhood by this time next year.  That's about 1,000 new seats of dining/drinking.  There is no room for 1,000 new spaces.  The entire park and King corridor only has 300 spaces.  Looks like alternative transportation will be a dire need by 2014.  Even if we started planning and building today we would be playing catch up to the demand that already exists.

Todd_Parker

April 18, 2012, 10:39:46 AM
When will they be laying the new track on the S-line Urban Greenway Extension?

April 18, 2012, 10:41:59 AM
Beer:30 A Craft Beer Emporium

^Anyone know more information on this? This is the first I have heard of this.

Talked to the guy the other day.  It will be a 'craft beer package store'.

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTT??  No Pulp??  Say it isn't so!!!!!!!!

There actually is activity.  They are fixing the issues with the roof on the building(which caused Petal to have to close down for a short time to accomodate the construction work).  You should see interior work starting soon.

April 18, 2012, 10:45:32 AM
^Thanks for the update!  Glad to hear that it's still moving forward.

April 18, 2012, 06:16:16 PM
Here's an update on Sushi Cafe's plans:

pwhitford

April 18, 2012, 06:44:54 PM
Wait, I'm confused.  Are 2 separate Julia's Organic Grocery stores opening, one on 5th & Main Streets and the other on 1520 Prudential Drive?  I knew about the one in Springfield, but the second location on the south bank is new, I think.

April 18, 2012, 06:45:51 PM
^Yes, there are two.

pwhitford

April 18, 2012, 07:33:30 PM
Wow, good for her.  And as a resident of the Peninsula, I couldn't be happier.  I can't wait!

Nightman_Cometh

April 18, 2012, 07:48:36 PM
So whats taking 7-11 so long?  The standalone store doesnt have the foundation even started yet.

April 18, 2012, 07:52:31 PM

They just got a construction permit like 12 days ago.

Jason

April 19, 2012, 08:29:03 AM
^ If it were the 210 corridor during the construction boom, after 12 days we'd be drinking slurpees wilst stepping over the cracks in the foundation!  :D

urbanlibertarian

April 23, 2012, 02:36:45 PM

According to DVI's Downtown Update (http://downtownjacksonville.org/Media/InTheNews/12-04-23/Downtown_Jacksonville_Update_-_April_2012.aspx) the Riverside Trolley (http://www.jtafla.com/Schedules/RiversideTrolley-04232012.pdf) is going back to 10 min headways during lunch.

April 26, 2012, 11:45:22 AM
Trees are being planted in the new courthouse plaza today. I still can't believe people wanted to cram a road in there.

April 26, 2012, 11:47:29 AM
I noticed the trees too Lake. Also, on the 7-11 at the corner of State and Main, it is coming along, lots of prep work has to go into place to support a gas station with fueling stands. I am sad, they couldn't have saved the stately Washington palm that was on the corner!