Friday, October 31, 2014

Jacksonville Top to Bottom Walking Tour

Think you know and have seen it all in Downtown Jacksonville? A new walking tour promises to introduce you to a side of downtown most don't know exist, by way of access into restricted underground tunnels, a silent movie shot on Forsyth Street featuring Oliver Hardy, and streetcars and a roof deck stop on top of the Florida Theatre.

Published September 26, 2011 in Neighborhoods      31 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Sights & Scenes

While we won't reveal the locations and stories behind every stop, here are some images from a recent downtown Jacksonville "Top to Bottom" walking tour.

Jacksonville "Top to Bottom" Walking Tour Information

Enjoy the River City's unique sites and untold stories. Discover secret underground tunnels and view Downtown atop the historic Florida Theatre. Tuesday's 10am - 11:45am, $20/p ($15/p in Summer or with coupon). Meet at the Jacksonville Landing escalators (2 W. Independent Dr. Jacksonville, FL 32202).

About AdLib Luxury Tours & Transportation

Best in Luxury! Best in Tours! Best in Service!
Award Winning, Featured on the History Channel
AdLib Luxury Tours & Transportation is a licensed Receptive Tour Operator in North Florida.
We offer a custom service for groups of ALL sizes with specialty tours of Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, & Ponte Vedra Beach.  "AdLib" allows customers to be flexible with their itinerary.

AdLib Luxury Tour services include:

•  Step-on group bus tours

•  Private van tours

•  European tasting tours

•  Military group tours

•  River cruise tours

AdLib Luxury Transportation services include:

•  Weddings - coordination and planning. Talk directly with your coordinator/driver.

•  Meet & Greet at the airport - JAX, St. Augustine

•  Football Tailgating - we bring the coolers and the grill

•  Charter Bus Day Trips - Orlando/Disney, Cape Canaveral, Daytona, Savannah, etc.

For more information: http://www.adlibtours.com/

Article and Images by Ennis Davis.

Noone

September 26, 2011, 03:36:48 AM
That looks like fun. Can't wait to do it.

acme54321

September 26, 2011, 07:10:47 AM
Sounds cool.  But why not on a Saturday morning?  Tuesday would be hard for a lot of people to make.

KenFSU

September 26, 2011, 09:18:43 AM
Yeah, my thoughts actually. Would love to take the wife, but Tuesday morning is a real tough time for the working folk.

Bridges

September 26, 2011, 09:25:35 AM
Agree with everyone above.  Sounds awesome, but the Tuesday time makes this almost impossible to do.

Jaxson

September 26, 2011, 09:35:20 AM
I agree.  Tuesday seems a bit difficult for most potential customers.

September 26, 2011, 10:08:53 AM
Tuesday?  But of course darlings if this were done on the weekend every building, storefront and kiosk in downtown is locked down and empty.

I think we need a "trolley" to do a trolley tour of the Jacksonville Traction System. I'm your huckleberry for that one.

OCKLAWAHA

Jaxson

September 26, 2011, 10:11:11 AM
Good point, Ock, about the challenges of having these tours on the weekend.  Would it be easier to have these tours on Fridays?  Just wondering...

jcjohnpaint

September 26, 2011, 10:41:27 AM
that guy has to be hot in that jacket.

Overstreet

September 26, 2011, 10:46:00 AM
Saturday would be a "ghost town" tour.

Jaxson

September 26, 2011, 11:06:23 AM
Saturday would be a "ghost town" tour.

LOL!

hightowerlover

September 26, 2011, 11:58:13 AM
it is pretty impressive how much of a tour you can get by walking just a few blocks up laura street when you really think about it.  and that jacket really should help them drum up business, but he needs the hat too.

urbaknight

September 26, 2011, 12:15:05 PM
Does the money made on the tours go into a fund of any kind? I'd suggest putting the money into a fund that can be used to revitalize the buildings that need it most. The Laura st Trio comes to mind.

jaxtour

September 26, 2011, 12:20:17 PM
You are correct realizing the buildings and special access locations are only open on week days during regular business hours, hence the Tuesday morning tour. In the future, we are working on the special access (e.g. tunnels) for certain Saturdays.

September 26, 2011, 01:13:17 PM
Perhaps we could offer a canoe adventure under Union Station. LOL!

OCKLAWAHA

September 26, 2011, 01:24:04 PM
Just wondering....if it were possible to offer them, what are some other Jacksonville area based tours (walking or driving) that people would be interested in?

Bridges

September 26, 2011, 01:29:24 PM
I haven't done an E2Ride bike tour yet, but I plan on it soon.  http://www.e2ride.com/

Ajax

September 26, 2011, 01:34:45 PM
Awesome - I was wondering what happened to Michael Scott after he left Dunder Mifflin!

Wacca Pilatka

September 26, 2011, 02:37:03 PM

I think there should be more walking/driving/biking tours that celebrate our architectural heritage.  I know in the early 90s the city had a pamphlet at the Chamber/C&VB for a self-guided walking tour of significant buildings downtown.  It had excerpts from Jacksonville's Architectural Heritage for most of the buildings and had a few different tour options for different length walks.  It'd be great to have something like this for Springfield, San Marco, or Riverside/Avondale, as well as for downtown again, for drivers or walkers (I know that Riverside has the bike tour, and of course the annual home tours where people open their homes).

urbanlibertarian

September 26, 2011, 03:13:07 PM
What about a DT walking tour of the Great Fire from it's beginning to it's end?

Wacca Pilatka

September 26, 2011, 03:24:03 PM
What about a DT walking tour of the Great Fire from it's beginning to it's end?

That is a GREAT idea.  I am sure Beth Slater (the other tour guide for the Top To Bottom tour) would be interested in leading something like that too.  The inspiration for her costume for the walking tours is an ancestor of hers (great-grandmother, I think) who wrote a gripping recount of her fire experiences seventy years later.  It's in Wayne Wood and Bill Foley's Fire book.

Wacca Pilatka

September 26, 2011, 03:25:52 PM
By the way, Lake, how'd you manage to take a photo inside the Independent Life Building lobby?  Every time I've tried to do that, a zealous security guard has come after me.  Do they OK it for the tour or for special events?

September 26, 2011, 03:45:32 PM

There are I believe three self-guided historical walking tours offered by DVI(Northbank/ South Bank and one that extends into San Marco).  It should still be on their website.

coredumped

September 26, 2011, 08:08:32 PM

This guy is doing a job, taking his time, and providing a service, why should he run a charity?

urbaknight

September 28, 2011, 02:54:35 PM

Don't get me wrong, I believe he should make money for his tours. I just wasn't sure if it was a private venture of if the city ran it. And I just didn't know what happened with the money, how it was managed or who managed it.

coredumped

September 28, 2011, 10:03:32 PM

No problem, I didn't mean to come off terse, hopefully you didn't take it that way.

urbaknight

September 30, 2011, 01:07:12 PM

It's cool, you did make a good point.

I-10east

September 30, 2011, 03:34:12 PM
Does the tour include the top floor of the BOA Tower? Well they did say "Top to Bottom(tunnels)" Tour. :) Either way, it looks like a very interesting tour that's worth checking out.

Ajax

September 30, 2011, 05:53:58 PM

You can go to the top of BOA any weekday for lunch.  They have a (relatively) inexpensive lunch place up there.  The views are pretty awesome!  I think it's Skyline Deli or Skyline something.  The food's not bad.

duvaldude08

September 30, 2011, 05:56:32 PM

Skyline Cafe I believe

September 30, 2011, 06:41:08 PM
You get to go on the roof of the Florida Theater. BOA isn't included.

Luveenyah

October 18, 2011, 10:38:53 AM
Saw the tour just a few minutes ago on Laura and Forsyth.  A decent crowd (along with Phil Amato, who was filming) was out despite the weather.