Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Inside Riverside's Bold Bean Coffee Roasters

What started as something to keep Jay Burnett busy after his retirement has turned out to be Riverside's latest attraction. Zack Burnett, Bold Bean's roastmaster, gives Metro Jacksonville a behind the scenes tour.

Published November 29, 2011 in Neighborhoods      108 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

About The Riverside coffee bar

Bold Bean puts a different spin on the traditional Jacksonville coffee shop theme.  Currently, Bold Bean roasts artisan coffee for restaurants and stores, such as Whole Foods, throughout Florida in a small Southside warehouse.  Bold Bean's Riverside venue joins this roasting operation with a brew bar in a coffeehouse style setting.  In addition to Bold Bean's artisan coffee blends, the brew bar will also offer five to six beers on tap.  The roastery and brew bar was designed by local Architects Greg Beere, James Blythe, and Jason Fisher of Content Design Group. According to Content Design, "Because of the relationship that Bold Bean has with organic coffee and sustainability, we wanted the space to remain raw, but we needed to introduce a bit of warmth to the design.  The bar is warmed with wood planks wrapping it and the main wall, while weathered 5-v crimp metal frames the roastery area and the bar seating area, adding a touch of a rustic finish. Carpet has been ripped up from the floor and the existing concrete floor will be sealed and exposed."

The Brew Bar

Sure, as roasters, we’ll take some of the credit for the coffee in your cup. But, in our eyes, it is the farmer who is the real star.

Small-scale, family farmers in remote regions of Central and South America, Mexico, Africa, Indonesia, the Pacific and Caribbean carefully tend and produce remarkable coffee crops on tiny, mountainside plots that are often perched more than a mile above sea level. Those farmers and their families are at the heart of every bag of our 100% high-altitude Arabica coffees – the finest coffees in the world.

Each family’s attention to detail and the care that goes into producing their crops – coupled with near-perfect climates and ideal growing conditions – result in green coffees of exceptional quality.
As a small, family business, we can relate to the farmers who produce those coffees. We share the same pride in product and a commitment to quality as those farmers and farm families who produce the extraordinary green coffees we roast. And, like them, we’re hands-on, involved in every facet of production, from the time a shipment of green coffee beans arrives at our roastery until each bag is filled, sealed and packed for shipment or delivery.

But our involvement doesn’t end there. Our commitment to exceptional customer service goes beyond the sale, and is as important to us as the quality of the coffees we produce.

Our small-batch, artisanal approach to roasting brings out the best flavor and aroma characteristics in every batch of beans, from delicate floral notes and a natural sweetness not unlike that of fruit and berries, to bittersweet chocolate,. Caramel and cinnamon. And, the classic design and well-tooled details of our gas fired Ambex drum roaster allows us to manually control every aspect of each roast.

And, because we are committed to bringing our customers only coffees of outstanding quality and freshness, we roast fresh daily to ensure that our coffees will be delivered to you at the peak of flavor and aroma.

The Roastery

Bold Bean will be a great addition to the Stockton Street Town Center, which is already home to a cluster of exciting businesses including Bakery Moderne and 13 Gypsies.  Bold Bean is tentatively expected to open on Wednesday, November 30, 2011.

Article and photographs by Ennis Davis. Cover image courtesy of Content Design Group.

simms3

November 29, 2011, 06:44:00 AM
Jacksonville gets a big city coffee house.  They are smart to serve beer, too.  I'd say the little merchants at Stockton St are the heaviest in the city as far as I can tell.  13 Gypsies' chef and Bakery Moderne also get it.  Stepping up.  If I were in Jax I know where I would take visitors for sure.

peestandingup

November 29, 2011, 06:49:39 AM
Best business idea to come to Riverside (and Jax as a whole) in a loooong time IMO & something I've noticed this town has been sorely lacking in compared to others. Roasting, preparing & giving people a cool environment to enjoy their coffee in, all under the same roof, is something truly special that no place in the city has ever provided. Plus, they take it a step further & will make each cup per order using (what's becoming the standard in high quality shops) the pour-over method, the french press & I saw they even have a couple giant glass siphons behind the bar. It all reeks of quality.

I've seen so many half-assed coffee shops open in town (then usually close months later), but this one's a keeper. Starbucks who? Three Layers what?? ;)

RiversideLoki

November 29, 2011, 08:45:36 AM
Now if Intuition or Bold City will go in on a Bold Bean Coffee Stout, they'll be set and have a great beer product tie in!

November 29, 2011, 08:51:47 AM
As I don't drink coffee, most of this went straight over my head. However, my wife believes this is fantastic, and I'm inclined to take her word for it. Having beer on tap is their ticket to two regular customers in my household.

jcjohnpaint

November 29, 2011, 08:57:33 AM
The interior looks gorgeous.  It is one thing I miss from the north is a good coffee shop that roasts their own coffee.  I look forward to the opening.

Dog Walker

November 29, 2011, 09:46:18 AM
They did get their money's worth with that interior, didn't they?  It's even more impressive up close.

Captain Zissou

November 29, 2011, 10:11:25 AM
Bold City Brewery has done some casks using Bold Bean coffee beans.  I am sure either or both of the two breweries will make a full production Coffee Stout soon.

Will they have any sort of food, or just coffee??  It would be nice if they had some pre-made items from Bakery Moderne.  I am sure all types of partnerships will spring up between the venues in that area.  I am not a coffee drinker, but I'm always looking for new places to enjoy a pint of beer.  I look forward to checking the place out in person.

dougsandiego

November 29, 2011, 11:22:00 AM
This looks like a high quality product that will be offered in a very attractive setting; a wonderful addition to any neighbourhood.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

November 29, 2011, 11:28:15 AM

I think I love you.   ;D

Mike D

November 29, 2011, 01:21:25 PM
The next step is for all of us to support this venture.  Anyone who is contributing to our historic neighborhoods deserves our business!

finehoe

November 29, 2011, 02:37:21 PM

Yum, that sounds delicious.  Can't wait.

November 29, 2011, 02:38:33 PM
^Now that is some coffee I could really get into.

Timkin

November 29, 2011, 03:36:06 PM
Gorgeous space!   I love it!

ben says

November 29, 2011, 04:04:02 PM
When does this open?

Anyone know how Gorrie is doing?

Timkin

November 29, 2011, 04:04:52 PM

Gorrie is looking STUNNING .

ben says

November 29, 2011, 04:43:48 PM
Sounds good!
Anyone know the % leased yet?

MusicMan

November 29, 2011, 09:35:37 PM
One of my favorite places is Portland Oregon and my favorite coffee place there is Stumptown Roasters. Bold Bean
reminds me of Stumptown, I hope (and imagine) it will be just as good. Cold beer (in a cold glass) is always welcome. Riverside-Avondale has just "blown up" in this economic 'slowdown'. I love bucking the trend like that. Soon we'll have Chew and Pele's Fire and who nows what else will move into the neighborhood.

tayana42

November 30, 2011, 02:35:00 AM
Good move for the neighborhood.  Should be a success based on reputation, location, and appearance.  Good luck!

riverside_mail

November 30, 2011, 06:25:43 AM
Sounds good!
Anyone know the % leased yet?
5 have been sold and occupied so far. A couple more are close to being sold.

jerry cornwell

November 30, 2011, 07:36:06 PM
Had my first cup this am.... i look forward to many many more. I cant remember a better cup. Tentative opening this Friday.
My personal black Friday. Cant wait.

mtraininjax

December 01, 2011, 09:11:25 AM
5 have been sold and occupied so far. A couple more are close to being sold.

Those 2 contracts fell through, according to Prudential Network Realty, the onsite agency. So there are 5 magical units sold and a lot still remaining.

Bold Bean is a coffee house right? Is their coffee sprinkled with magic pixie dust to make it better than other coffee houses?

copperfiend

December 01, 2011, 09:21:11 AM
Bold Bean looks great. Maybe I'm being overzealous but it reminds me of a few of the coffee places I went to in LA.

peestandingup

December 01, 2011, 09:55:48 AM

If you can't immediately see the difference between this, and say, the tons of other "me too" cafes (and I use that term lightly) that have come & gone to the area, then I don't know what to tell you.

Have you ever had a real cup of coffee? And I mean a real cup that was handmade, not something from a machine that someone threw some stale grounds into?? Granted some people probably don't care & will drink whatever truck-stop blend you sit in front of them, but a lot do.

Think of this like you would Bold City or Intuition, but for coffee instead. Pretty much the same concept.

December 01, 2011, 10:04:16 AM
^I can honestly say I've never had a cup of coffee like you describe, and wouldn't take one ever unless it was "flavored" with at least a shot of Jameson's. But the difference between this place and the type of coffee shops you normally see is abundantly clear even to me. Not everything interesting and worthwhile has to appeal to absolutely everyone.

And come on, even if you don't care about the coffee you can still have a beer, as I plan to do whenever my wife wants to hit this place up, which I expect to be a fairly regular occurrence.

ben says

December 01, 2011, 10:08:56 AM
I don't care if this place sucks, to be quite frank. The interior is gorgeous, it's a benefit to the neighborhood, and I'll do whatever it takes to keep them thriving. This is exactly what this neighborhood (and city) needs.

mtraininjax

December 01, 2011, 10:13:57 AM
We need more cool fun places to hang out, agreed. I cannot wait for Pele's Pizza to open up and see the inside of the old pharmacy space.

On another subject, the Mellow Mushroom in Tinseltown is re-opening Saturday with a huge party in the parking lot. They have 18 big screens and 40+ beers on draft, all newly remodeled.

peestandingup

December 01, 2011, 10:15:09 AM

Oh, I know. I was just meaning their specialty is coffee & roasting. I'm not sure who their beer is from (Im guessing one of the local breweries?), but its just sort of secondary to their business model.

But you're right. Even if you care nothing about coffee, this is still a great place to have a beer & just hang out. But the coffee for me sets it apart, because like I said earlier, no place in town has ever done this before.

December 01, 2011, 10:39:16 AM
^Word up. Even as someone who doesn't drink coffee, it seems pretty obvious that this place is a whole different kettle of fish compared to your typical coffee shop. It's a great addition.

ben says

December 01, 2011, 10:42:55 AM

Anyone know when Pele's is actually opening up? Can't wait, either. I read somewhere (on this forum) that their rent is 8k/month. Is this normal? How the hell will they pull that off? Also, anyone knows if they're doing true Italian style breakfast/espresso?

Re: Mellow Mushroom...I can't make myself drive from Riverside to Tinseltown for much of anything :(

Timkin

December 01, 2011, 02:33:27 PM

Mellow Mushroom is awesome.  Love that place.    Although, the one at the beaches has this cool old School Bus Shell that you can sit inside and dine.

MissMinda

December 01, 2011, 06:02:46 PM
When I lived in Orlando, there was a restaurant named Cafe Tu Tu Tango http://www.cafetututango.com/index.html

In this restaurant, artists sit inside doing artwork as customers eat and their work is also displayed.

I was hoping that CORK would be something like this, if they get a cafe going.

It would be interesting if some of the local businesses, such as Bold Bean, would get involved in something of this nature.

I think of 5 Points as an Artist District. Love to see more and more of it integrated into the local businesses.

On a side note...I don't drink coffee or beer, but if there were artists there...I'd stop by and buy a water or something. :)

JoeMerchant

December 02, 2011, 09:44:21 PM
Thanks so much for all of the comments on the look of Bold Bean.  We enjoyed the challenge of matching the quality of the preparation and of their coffee with a design for the space.

The shop opened this afternoon, and will close at midnight on Fridays and Saturdays - so it's not too late to check out the space for yourselves tonight, or it will be open at 7am in the morning if you're more the early to rise type.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts....

JoeMerchant

December 03, 2011, 01:19:30 PM

An image from the first morning...

December 03, 2011, 02:22:02 PM

An image from the first morning...

What a fantastic interior and photo, Jason.  Amazing job.

Ennis, Lunican and I met there this morning and met Zack.  The place is wonderful.

Dog Walker

December 03, 2011, 03:11:09 PM
And every time they open their door, some of that wonderful coffee aroma floats into the neighborhood.  I had the dogs with me this morning and just stood outside the door sniffing along with them.  Wonderful!

None of the photos does justice to the inside.

peestandingup

December 03, 2011, 03:41:28 PM
Yeah, its great. Nice mellow atmosphere, cool baristas that actually know what they're doing & an awesome cup of coffee.

I only hope that the area knows what it's got here & doesn't shy away from it because they're used to the "fast food style" coffee that is so prevalent here. Meaning the coffee is handmade & doesn't just pour out of a spigot like many are probably used to, so its going to take a minute or two to get your cup. And its not as cheap as some places either.

But you're paying for quality here & its safe to say it's the best cup you're going to get in the entire city.

Timkin

December 03, 2011, 04:20:48 PM
It is really beautiful on the inside. Cannot wait to stop.  :)

Ernest Street

December 03, 2011, 09:05:11 PM
Gonna stop by for some Kona, (or what they just roasted) :)

This block desperately needs a real permanent urban bike rack.

December 03, 2011, 09:55:36 PM

The process of Colombian coffee:

Harvested coffee beans
Gathering of coffee cherries:
During this stage, only totally ripe cherries, normally red or yellow, are picked. Green cherries spoil the taste of a cup of coffee. This process is performed entirely by hand.
Pulping:
The same day the berries are gathered, they are subjected to a pulping process, whereby the berry is removed from the bean.
Fermentation:
During this part of the process, the beans are allowed to rest.
Washing:
The remains of mucilage left on the bean are removed and sugars are eliminated with fresh water.
Drying:
After washing, the beans are exposed to the heat of the sun for their humidity to decrease, thus facilitating their conservation. To make transportation easier, the dried beans are then packed in clean sacks made from sisal. Further on, the thin shell of parchment called pergamino is removed from the bean.
Roasting:
The process comes to an end with the roasting of the coffee. The green bean is subjected to a heat source, and delicious aroma and flavor are generated.

Before it ever gets to Jacksonville, the boys will be threading it through Tunnel 13 on the coffee line near Pereira, Colombia, in the 'Zona Cafe.'

OCKLAWAHA

Dog Walker

December 04, 2011, 08:44:21 AM
We forget what young, rugged mountains the Andes are.  That first picture is just surreal, like something out of Lord of the Rings.

All of the steps to get a cup of coffee; makes you wonder how it was ever discovered.

December 04, 2011, 08:54:07 AM

goats.  and their adventurous herder, named Kaldi.

It was illegal for Christians to drink it in most parts of europe.

December 04, 2011, 08:58:52 AM

The story of coffee has its beginnings in Ethiopia, the original home of the coffee plant; coffee Arabica, which still grows wild in the forest of the highlands. While nobody is sure exactly how coffee was originally discovered as a beverage, it is believed that its cultivation and use began as early as the 9th century. The only thing that seems certain is that it originated in Ethiopia, from where it travelled to Yemen about 600 years ago, and from Arabia it began its journey around the world.

The Ethiopian legend surrounding the discovery of the coffee bean revolves around an inquisitive goat herdsman Kaldi. Kaldi's goats' behavior became suspiciously noisy, exaggerated, and enthusiastic one afternoon. He observed his goats eating a bright red cherry off nearby trees. In interest, Kaldi decided to try one of these obscure berries and was excited to discover the berries had the same energetic effect on him as it did his goats. Kaldi sped home to his wife with his pockets stuffed with these berries. She was as excited as he was and, convinced they were a gift from God, sent Kaldi to their local monastery. The monk was skeptical of this so-called miraculous discovery and declared the berries from the devil while throwing them into the fire. An enticing aroma began to saturate the room drawing other monks in curiosity. They knelt down and scooped up the now roasted berries to cover them with hot water for preservation. That night the monks sat up drinking the rich fragrant brew and discovered for themselves the novel sense of elation and energy. They committed to drinking the brew every night to help them stay awake during night prayers.

From Ethiopia, the ingenious coffee beans made their way north to Yemen and eventually became a staple drink in Arabia. Over time the legend of and love for coffee spread throughout Europe and was eventually exported to various colonies around the world. An insignificant goat herdsman in the solitude of the Ethiopian hills made one of history's most significant beverage discoveries that has led to revolutions, epiphanies, innovations, and a socially based coffee-drinking culture.

It was the Arabs who first roasted coffee, produced it, and marketed it as a drink in defiance of a ban issued by the religious authorities in Mecca.

December 04, 2011, 09:09:44 AM
From the Muslim world, coffee spread to Italy. The thriving trade between Venice and North Africa, Egypt, and the Middle East brought many goods, including coffee, to the Venetian port. From Venice, it was introduced to the rest of Europe. Coffee became more widely accepted after it was deemed a Christian beverage by Pope Clement VIII in 1600, despite appeals to ban the "Muslim drink." The first European coffee house opened in Italy in 1645. The Dutch were the first to import coffee on a large scale. The Dutch later grew the crop in Java and Ceylon.  The first exports of Indonesian coffee from Java to the Netherlands occurred in 1711.  Through the efforts of the British East India Company, coffee became popular in England as well. Oxford's Queen's Lane Coffee House, established in 1654, is still in existence today. Coffee was introduced in France in 1657, and in Austria and Poland after the 1683 Battle of Vienna, when coffee was captured from supplies of the defeated Turks.

When coffee reached North America during the Colonial period, it was initially not as successful as it had been in Europe as alcoholic beverages remained more popular. During the Revolutionary War, however, the demand for coffee increased so much that dealers had to hoard their scarce supplies and raise prices dramatically; this was also due to the reduced availability of tea from British merchants. After the War of 1812, during which Britain temporarily cut off access to tea imports, the Americans' taste for coffee grew, and high demand during the American Civil War together with advances in brewing technology secured the position of coffee as an everyday commodity in the United States

Prohibition

Coffee was initially used for spiritual reasons. At least 1,100 years ago, traders brought coffee across the Red Sea into Arabia (modern-day Yemen), where Muslim dervishes began cultivating the shrub in their gardens. At first, the Arabians made wine from the pulp of the fermented coffee berries. This beverage was known as qishr (kisher in modern usage) and was used during religious ceremonies.

Coffee drinking was prohibited by jurists and scholars (ulema) meeting in Mecca in 1511 as haraam, but the subject of whether it was intoxicating was hotly debated over the next 30 years until the ban was finally overturned in the mid 16th century. Use in religious rites among the Sufi branch of Islam led to coffee's being put on trial in Mecca: it was accused of being a heretical substance, and its production and consumption were briefly repressed. It was later prohibited in Ottoman Turkey under an edict by the Sultan Murad IV. Coffee, regarded as a Muslim drink, was prohibited by Ethiopian Orthodox Christians until as late as 1889; it is now considered a national drink of Ethiopia for people of all faiths. Its early association in Europe with rebellious political activities led to Charles II outlawing coffeehouses from January 1676 (although the uproar created forced the monarch to back down two days before the ban was due to come into force).  Frederick the Great banned it in Germany in 1777 for nationalistic and economic reasons; concerned about the price of import, he sought to force the public back to consuming beer. Lacking coffee-producing colonies, Germany had to import all its coffee at a great cost.

A contemporary example of religious prohibition of coffee can be found in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The organization holds that it is both physically and spiritually unhealthy to consume coffee. This comes from the Mormon doctrine of health, given in 1833 by founder Joseph Smith in a revelation called the Word of Wisdom. It does not identify coffee by name, but includes the statement that "hot drinks are not for the belly," which has been interpreted to forbid both coffee and tea.

Quite a number of members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church also avoid caffeinated drinks. In its teachings, the Church encourages members to avoid tea and coffee and other stimulants. Abstinence from coffee, tobacco and alcohol by many Adventists has afforded a near unique opportunity for studies to be conducted within that population group on the health effects of coffee drinking, free from confounding factors. One study was able to show a weak but statistically significant association between coffee consumption and mortality from ischemic heart disease, other cardiovascular disease, all cardiovascular diseases combined, and all causes of death.

For a time, there had been controversy in the Jewish community over whether the coffee bean was a legume and therefore prohibited for Passover. Upon petition from coffeemaker Maxwell House, the coffee bean was classified in 1923 as a berry rather than a bean by orthodox Jewish rabbi Hersch Kohn, and therefore kosher for Passover

December 04, 2011, 09:21:04 AM
Naturally there were crazy claims surrounding coffee:

The banning of women from coffeehouses was not universal, but does appear to have been common in Europe. In Germany women frequented them, but in England they were banned. Many believed coffee to have several medicinal properties in this period. For example, a 1661 tract entitled "A character of coffee and coffee-houses", written by one "M.P.", lists some of these perceived benefits:

“    'Tis extolled for drying up the Crudities of the Stomack, and for expelling Fumes out of the Head. Excellent Berry! which can cleanse the English-man's Stomak of Flegm, and expel Giddinesse out of his Head.    â€

Not everyone was in favour of this new commodity, however. For example, the anonymous 1674 "Women's Petition Against Coffee" declared:

“    ...the Excessive Use of that Newfangled, Abominable, Heathenish Liquor called COFFEE [...] has [...] Eunucht our Husbands, and Crippled our more kind Gallants, that they are become as Impotent, as Age.

ben says

December 04, 2011, 09:33:09 AM
Damn those pictures are amazing...That first one especially. South America...wow...

finehoe

December 04, 2011, 10:48:37 AM
It was illegal for Christians to drink it in most parts of europe.

In that case, I think we need a constitutional amendment in the US to ban coffee consumption.  Who are we to flaunt traditional morality and ancient law?

December 04, 2011, 10:54:56 AM
It was illegal for Christians to drink it in most parts of europe.

It would be the biggest job creator since Bin Laden, if we did.

Coffee would become the worlds largest cash crop in history as the beans started trading for 50 dollars a pound and experienced a sharp uptick in consumption, especially amongst the professional disapprovers.

boldbeanzack

December 04, 2011, 06:38:14 PM
I'd like to thank everyone who came in this weekend for such a warm welcome to the neighborhood.  We are really excited to be roasting and serving hand-crafted coffee in Riverside.  I truly hope everyone who walked through our doors had a great experience.  I know we've had fun!  We look forward to meeting and getting to know many more of you and serving some great coffee and delicious craft beer in an interesting and fun atmosphere.  Also, many thanks to Jason and Greg at Content Design.  We can't say enough good things about those guys.

Dog Walker

December 05, 2011, 10:43:52 AM
We went in on Saturday night after having dinner at The Blue Fish (awesome food!) for the first time.  Were disappointed that you had run out of cookies, but the Peruvian coffee was wonderful and we saw some of our neighbors there with their baby daughter.

Really mellow atmosphere.

You need to make a deal with Bakery Moderne next door and have her make you a signature Bold Bean Biscotti to have on hand.

L.P. Hovercraft

December 05, 2011, 05:25:37 PM

Another excellent foodie addition to the Stockton St/John Gorrie area.  We stopped by Friday evening around 11 and again on Saturday after dinner.  Ya gotta love that you can get great local beer and amazing in-house roasted coffee at the same spot; and extra points for the friendly staff and staying open later on weekends.  Loved the mellow atmosphere, but I think it will eventually be a lot harder to grab a seat at one of the nice cushy chairs on a Friday or Saturday night once the word gets out about this place.

Only thing it still needs (unless I missed it) is one of Dolf's "This is a cool place" stickers on the front door.

doglover

December 06, 2011, 01:02:18 PM
We have enjoyed their beans for a while now and are so glad they opened here. We went in twice this weekend for the best Latte's. Cool space, great hours, friendly staff, good company, great tasting coffee, and they serve beer, too. What a great addition!

5pointy

December 06, 2011, 10:11:44 PM
We were there on opening day (twice!). Agree with all the positive comments--the team that Bold Bean put together is awesome!Very reasonable prices for a superior product too.

dougskiles

December 08, 2011, 09:05:08 AM

Stopped by yesterday for an espresso.  Delicious.  Infinitely better than anything else in town.

I compare it to eating fresh ripe fruit straight from a tree as opposed to the gassed junk that you buy in a grocery store.

We need more of the real thing in Jacksonville - of all types.  Our senses have been numbed by the processed garbage that lines the shelves.  Expect more my friends!

boldbeanzack

December 10, 2011, 10:55:58 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments guys!  We really enjoyed our first week serving coffee to everyone.

MusicMan

December 10, 2011, 11:00:43 PM
13 GYPSIES
BOLD BEAN
ZEN COG
BAKERY MODERNE
THE JOHN GORRIE LOFTS

THIS HAS BECOME ONE HELL OF A GOOD LOCATION.

December 10, 2011, 11:22:44 PM
Just got a chance to check this place out with the wife and some friends, coffee drinkers all of them. They all raved about the brew; I was happy to have a Rhino Rye Pale Ale and enjoy such an awesome space with them. I might start drinking coffee just to enjoy the place's full potential, or at least hot chocolate.

A definite plus for Stockton Street and Jacksonville as a whole. Good work guys.

boldbeanzack

December 12, 2011, 07:30:17 PM
Thank you so much for stopping by Tacachale and for the feedback!  We've already converted a couple non-coffee drinkers that I know of over to the dark side.  Next time you stop by if you decide you would like to try some coffee let us know you are new to the bean and we'll find something that's not overpowering to ease you in.  We make a pretty mean hot chocolate too so that is always an option.  All sauces (vanilla, caramel and chocolate) are made in house.  We just added a honey latte to the menu made with orange blossom honey from Macclenney that may be something you like as well.  Thanks again!

Ernest Street

December 12, 2011, 08:19:59 PM
This block badly needs a Bike Rack.

JAM

December 16, 2011, 05:49:48 PM
I've heard the Stockton Street town center project will be putting in bike racks.

Dog Walker

December 17, 2011, 07:55:42 AM
This block badly needs a Bike Rack.

Especially since there is a bike shop, Zen Cog, in the same block.

Dashing Dan

December 17, 2011, 10:06:05 AM
This block badly needs a Bike Rack.
Stockton would be a great location for a massive set of bike racks - enough racks to make people think twice about driving there!

dougskiles

December 17, 2011, 10:29:27 AM
What - you don't like chaining your bike to a sign post? (is that what it was this morning?)

Are bike racks part of the Stockton Town Center project?

We have the same problem at San Marco Square.  Not a single dedicate bike rack.  But that is about to change.  SMPS raised some money this year for a 'public art' bike rack (functional) that will hopefully be designed and installed in the next few months.

Dog Walker

December 18, 2011, 10:26:54 AM
Bold Bean and their near neighbor, Bakery Moderne, have teamed up.  Bold Bean is offering Bakery Moderne's fantastic cookies, cakes and scones in their coffee bar.

Really smart move for them both.  Really bad move for my waistline and pocketbook.

Bold Bean's wi-fi is up too.

December 18, 2011, 10:41:09 AM

Bold Bean's wi-fi is up too.

I love this place, it is literally the best coffee shop in the history of jacksonville.   But you will forgive me for poking a bit of fun.

Does this mean that they have a combined seating of 400 now?

Dog Walker

December 18, 2011, 02:13:32 PM
 Nah, maybe 25 combined.   ;D

Ernest Street

December 18, 2011, 06:05:36 PM
Any more Info? did you talk to the merchants?
Btw,is there a Merchants Association for that block? Do they all meet yet?

jaxlore

December 19, 2011, 04:10:27 PM
I went there for the first time Saturday evening to grab a quick to go cappuccino. I dug the interior and the coffee was great. But when I asked about getting soy I was given a holier then tho "I don't usually like to steam soy".  I think my reply was "really?" and he was like well i guess i shouldn't have said that. Needless to say i'll probably go back because the coffee was so good but they got to get there customer service right, that superior coffee god attitude isn't gonna cut it.

Kay

December 19, 2011, 04:13:52 PM
This block badly needs a Bike Rack.

Where would you put them exactly?

dougskiles

December 19, 2011, 05:15:21 PM
This block badly needs a Bike Rack.

Where would you put them exactly?

Take up a parking space and put in a 14-rack corrall.

That probably wouldn't fly with the business owners, though.  I suggested it in San Marco Square at a merchant's meeting... and it didn't go over so well.

AKIRA

December 19, 2011, 06:01:22 PM
The cups I have had there have been excellent... possibly the best I have ever had in Jax.

As far as attitude, it's been great so far to me.  I talked to the guys there at the counter and explained that I don't know squat about good coffee, in terms of either the making of or quality of beans.  They did not give me any lip or smirk regarding my lack of knowledge and were quite helpful.  It is always great to not be made to feel as ignorant as one actually is about a new pursuit.

My only concern is for the limited amont of seating at a busier time.

Ajax

December 19, 2011, 06:08:52 PM

My favorite was Fuel.*

*When it was JUST a coffee shop - no beer or anything else.

Probably not a fair comparison since the two spaces are so dissimilar.

I have high hopes for Bold Bean - I've been there twice and have been very pleased.

boldbeanzack

December 19, 2011, 07:25:55 PM
Thanks again for the kind words guys.  Regarding the bike rack, we are talking with Garf down at Zen Cog and Natalie at Bakery Moderne to try to find a place for one.  A rack is needed.  Finding a place for one is the only problem.  Jaxlore, I am glad you enjoyed the coffee but more-so I am sorry if you received any attitude.  I promise none of us think we are superior because we serve coffee.  "Coffee god" baristas are the bane of my existence.  We depend on and appreciate our customers and it is our policy to treat everyone with care.  I'll bring the complaint up to everyone and we'll make sure the problem is addressed.  Thanks again everyone.  We are really enjoying being in the neighborhood and getting to know everyone.

Purplebike

December 19, 2011, 07:50:04 PM
@ boldbeanzack

You--and your cafe--are a class act. Kudos to you for taking the bit of constructive criticism graciously, and offering a non-defensive response in return.

You set a great example for all who post in this, and any other, public forum!

Ernest Street

December 19, 2011, 08:03:57 PM
BBZack..Thanks for your reply,and I understand the difficulty in where to locate a rack as no single merchant wants it permanently mounted in front of their shop. (I understand the spaces involved here)(or lack thereof)

I understand initially that there was to be retail space on the John Gorrie block.(That disappeared)
That side would be good for a bike rack if Delores says we can do it.
There could actually be a 50 plus bike rack there.

December 19, 2011, 09:23:32 PM

My favorite was Fuel.*

*When it was JUST a coffee shop - no beer or anything else.

Probably not a fair comparison since the two spaces are so dissimilar.

I think I remember this about you Ajax.

It was a comfortable space, and very vibrant before all of the Imperial conflict and etc.

But the coffee never even came close to the quality of what Zack and the guys at Bold Bean are doing.  It is by far the highest, sweetest quality product that has ever been served to my knowledge in this city.

When coffee snobs talk about the inferior quality of starbucks coffee, this is the kind of well balanced, perfectly roasted, ground and served coffee product that they are comparing it too.

Their home roast is as sweet as Illy, smoother than Lavazza and prepared by a stunningly high quality machine.  I am being quite literal in the description of this place.  It will quickly become the measure by which every other coffee product is gauged against.

John P

December 20, 2011, 12:31:55 AM
Its a little too cold sleek and modern for me. Ill take Cool Moose or 3 Layers any day because I go to coffee shops as much for atmosphere and experience as the taste of the coffee.

John P

December 20, 2011, 12:36:42 AM
This block badly needs a Bike Rack.

Where would you put them exactly?

Nothings going to happen for a while across the street on the strip of land next to John Gorrie. Just put a big bike rack there and anchor it with cement. Its easy to do and easy enough to move when the time comes

Ajax

December 20, 2011, 09:59:58 AM

My favorite was Fuel.*

*When it was JUST a coffee shop - no beer or anything else.

Probably not a fair comparison since the two spaces are so dissimilar.

I think I remember this about you Ajax.

Yeah, I started going to Fuel late 2000/early 2001 at a time when I really needed to be around people even if I wasn’t interacting with them.  Watching people come and go was very comforting.  Stephen, I remember saying hello to you a few times up there – you’re one of the many people that I remember from my high school/Einstein days who I had lost track of until reconnecting again at Fuel or Art Bar several years on.

And they had the Qix video game in the back.  I loved that game!

I thought that Fuel served Caribou, at least for a while.  Can anyone confirm that?

As for Bold Bean – I agree with you about the quality.  Nothing comes close around here.

finehoe

December 20, 2011, 11:23:10 AM
"I don't usually like to steam soy"

Well, he was trying to do you a favor.  Soy is pretty nasty steamed.  But to each his/her own.

Dashing Dan

January 12, 2012, 12:57:42 PM
This block badly needs a Bike Rack.

Where would you put them exactly?

There's a bike rack for sale that's designed to fit within a parallel parking space.  It holds a whole lot of bikes.  I'd like to see one or two of those along Stockton Street.

Dashing Dan

January 12, 2012, 02:35:03 PM
As I read this, it appears that you can get either 14 or 22 bikes into a single on-street parking space.  Sweet!

Dog Walker

January 12, 2012, 04:10:39 PM
Isn't there something similar in the end parking space at Park and King down from Cool Moose?

January 12, 2012, 04:17:04 PM
I noted this in another thread over the summer

I think the picture implies there would be room for 14 bikes

Dashing Dan

January 12, 2012, 08:06:00 PM
To me the picture looks like you can buy a rack for 14 bikes, and then you can also buy another rack for 8 bikes that fits into the same parking space.

boldbeanzack

February 11, 2012, 10:38:47 AM
Thanks to Garf down at ZenCog there is now secure bike parking for the Stockton Town Center.  Thanks Garf!

peestandingup

February 11, 2012, 11:20:35 AM
^Garf is indeed the man. ZenCog is the best & friendliest down to earth bike shop in town. Seriously the only shop in the core that isn't a rip off full of snooty employees as far as I'm concerned.

Rumblefish

February 13, 2012, 08:42:03 AM
The coffee and service at Bold Bean is much better than Cool Moose.  Frankly, there is no comparison between the quality of the coffees.

ben says

February 13, 2012, 09:03:14 AM

Although I love the setup at Cool Moose, and frequent them often, I'll be the first to admit, there is no coffee service at Cool Moose--you get up and get your own coffee there. Secondly, outside of the daily Sweetwater coffee, that Green mountain stuff kinda sucks. You can find that in any airport, any diner across the country.

Haven't been to Bold Bean, but hear great things.

ubben

February 13, 2012, 11:22:22 AM
Bold Bean is the best coffee in town. Bike racks are a welcome addition. Now, if they added some simple benches or chairs on the sidewalk for outdoor sipping in the sun, well, that would be even better. Or, how about across the street in the empty lot along Stockton in front of the John Gorrie building's parking? Be bold!

JaxByDefault

February 13, 2012, 11:40:54 AM
Bold Bean is everything that places here should be. The product is fantastic; the baristas are knowledgeable and skilled; the atmosphere is sleek, comfortable, and noise-level appropriate.

It's nice to finally be able to get a good cup of coffee around here--not mention a proper macchiato and a good local pint.

(One teeny thing: Perhaps a few chairs stashed in the back hall or along the back wall that can be dragged to tables? The place is always  two chairs short on buys nights.)

boldbeanzack

February 18, 2012, 10:28:13 AM
Thanks for the good words guys!  We should have some seating out front before too long.  We're sort-of limited with space out there though.  JaxByDefault, that is a great idea about stashing some extra chairs away.  We honestly hadn't even thought about that.  Note taken.  Ubben, that is some nice green space across the street...

Dog Walker

February 18, 2012, 10:53:38 AM
We are always amazed each time we go to Bold Bean at just how good properly made coffee can be.  There is simply no comparison with anyplace else.  Combine that with something delicious from Bakery Moderne and sigh with contentment.

blizz01

February 18, 2012, 11:05:14 AM
You also owe it to yourself to try out the new Spring Park Coffee (if you're passing through Green Cove Springs) in the former Starbucks location - they do good work, have a cool vibe & also have nothing but GREAT things to say about Bold Bean...

Purplebike

February 18, 2012, 11:10:38 AM
Is Spring Park Coffee open? Their Facebook page says "We are opening a place...", which suggests they are not open yet, but about to be.

urbanlibertarian

February 18, 2012, 11:11:47 AM

It would be sweet if one of those could open DT in one of the old Starbucks locations but I don't know if I could keep them in business all by myself.

blizz01

February 18, 2012, 06:28:11 PM
Yes - they've been open for several weeks (not to hijack the thread....):

MissMinda

February 20, 2012, 01:55:09 PM
My best friend and I spent a lovely day together in the Stockton Town Center last weekend. We ate a delicious lunch of soup and sandwiches (and complimentary cookie) at Bakery Moderne. We then had our nails done at the Nail Boutique. Finally, we rounded out our afternoon at Bold Bean. Neither of us are coffee drinkers, so we ordered hot cocoa. They even were willing to experiment with vanilla and caramel flavorings for us. We enjoyed the atmosphere enough to stay for a second cup each.
I'm loving this little area, and it doesn't hurt that it's within walking distance for me (which is saying a lot for someone with a titanium leg  ;D ). Keep up the good work!

Dog Walker

February 20, 2012, 04:25:45 PM
 MM, did they give you half off for the pedicure?   ;)

Sounds like a delightful afternoon.

Dashing Dan

February 20, 2012, 05:17:11 PM
It would sure be nice if Bold Bean could open a branch in the old Starbucks downtown location at 11 E Forsyth.

I wonder what it would take for that to happen?  Would something have to open up in the old library?

MissMinda

February 26, 2012, 06:23:53 PM
I didn't get a pedicure that time, but I did get one this Friday evening. Their prices are extremely reasonable.

Lucasjj

February 27, 2012, 07:39:10 AM
My wife and I went here yesterday for the first time. It was a great place to spend an hour on a rainy Sunday afternoon. We really enjoyed the place. The coffee is very good as well as the prices.

I would also second the motion for more chairs. We had to vulture ours, and the reason we left was to give up our chairs to people who were standing around.

ben says

February 27, 2012, 08:05:18 AM

+1.

Went for my first time on Friday night with the Mrs., followed up with a visit on Saturday with two more (party of 4). Both times we had to stand while waiting for someone to get up. Thankfully on the second night someone was kind enough to move tables so we could get the table of 4.

Anyways, amazing coffee, great vibe, good music. Love the interior.

ben says

June 27, 2012, 10:06:40 AM
Noticed the lack of dogs lately. Did they get in trouble about that?

jcjohnpaint

June 27, 2012, 12:42:03 PM
yeah I love this place.  I know a few super dedicated roasters in the north, but this place is the best.

jaxlore

June 27, 2012, 01:21:59 PM
I second the more chairs vote. I know people dont mind standing if there drinking a beer, but when you've hot coffee in your hands thats a problem. To bad they dont have any outdoor seating. I do love the coffee and the vibe.

ben says

June 27, 2012, 01:40:52 PM

They're working on getting some outdoor eating out back. Some tables, chairs, maybe some covered area. Will be nice.

Dog Walker

June 27, 2012, 02:47:10 PM
Noticed the lack of dogs lately. Did they get in trouble about that?

I heard, second-hand, that the City was OK with dogs there since they don't prepare food, but that the State inspector objected.  Have to remember to ask Zack next time.  Miss the great dogs that come in there.

boldbeanzack

June 28, 2012, 08:01:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys!  We added 12 seats to the cafe a couple of months ago.  We would like more seating inside but really don't have the room.  We will have outdoor seating behind the shop and also out front before too long.  Unfortunately we are not allowed to have dogs inside anymore.  This really saddens us but unfortunately it's one of those nonsensical rules that we must follow.  Thanks again for the support.  We really love being a part of the 'hood.  -Zack