Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Abandoned Jacksonville: Evans Rendezvous

Metro Jacksonville gets a glimpse of what remains of one of the South's most popular oceanfront spots for African-Americans during the Jim Crow era: American Beach's Evans Rendezvous.

Published December 13, 2011 in History      32 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Evans Rendezvous Club

Located in American Beach, Evans Rendezvous was a jazz club that once hosted famed musicans such as Louis Armstrong and Ray Charles. According to a 1998 Florida Times-Union article, the Trust for Public Land's future plans for the site involve restoring the long-abandoned structure and converting it into a museum centering on the club's heyday in the 1940s and '50s.

Source: http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/091308/nen_331224237.shtml

1 2 3 4 NEXT

simms3

December 13, 2011, 07:58:39 AM
These are great photos.  I love it!

December 13, 2011, 08:55:39 AM
Wow, fantastic photos. Metro Jacksonville could do a whole story on North Florida's black beaches, American, Manhattan, Butler... in fact, you should!

December 13, 2011, 09:01:18 AM
We just might.  I'll have to put that topic in the research pipeline. Somebody needs to better expose Jacksonville's rich black history.

Ernest Street

December 13, 2011, 09:24:29 AM
Great pics Nomeus!   Is the Huge 50' tall wandering dune still moving around the buildings?
That was a sight in itself.

Wacca Pilatka

December 13, 2011, 09:53:18 AM
This reminds me that I need to get a copy of the book about American Beach that the Historical Society sells.

grimss

December 13, 2011, 10:03:37 AM
Wacca Pilatka, you can snag one at the Gingerbread Extravaganza at Old St. Andrews. JHS is operating a book store/gift shop as part of this holiday event, which takes place through Dec. 22, 11 am to 5 pm, Monday through Saturday.

Wacca Pilatka

December 13, 2011, 10:25:26 AM

I'll have to mail order it since I live in Virginia.  I was at the Extravaganza last week when I came down for a Jaguar game, but neglected to buy the book that day.  Thanks!

duvaldude08

December 13, 2011, 10:49:32 AM
Omg. It is amazing that all that old stuff is still in there!! That is freaky!! So much history

nomeus

December 13, 2011, 01:33:43 PM
This is great....I never knew all of this history on it!

hooplady

December 13, 2011, 03:20:25 PM
Is the Huge 50' tall wandering dune still moving around the buildings?
Is that "Nana" who MaVynee Betsch protected for all those years?  I like to think that The Beach Lady is still walking the dunes...

Ernest Street

December 13, 2011, 04:30:25 PM
Is the Huge 50' tall wandering dune still moving around the buildings?
Yes Hooplady! you hit the nail on the head. I was going to mention her respecting and admiring the dune but didn't have any real info except fuzzy memory.
She thought it was something more than a dune as it strayed around the inner areas instead of being on the beach side.
It occasionally took over parking lots and annoyed those that didn't understand.
She was very protective of "Nana"
I never met MaVynee but chatted with someone about her after I was spotted gawking at the dune.

JeffreyS

December 13, 2011, 04:59:02 PM
Good article.

JaxNative68

December 13, 2011, 05:13:59 PM
I never knew pic-nicing was a hyphenated word.  Or is there a subtext meaning to way it has been spelled that I am missing?

nomeus

December 13, 2011, 05:37:04 PM
Depends on the writer at the time. Im sure its not proper but you never know.

1846

I-10east

December 13, 2011, 07:32:08 PM
Remember though, The Jax area 'supposedly' doesn't have any culture; I SMH when misinformed people make statements like that.

December 13, 2011, 08:21:37 PM

hooplady

December 13, 2011, 08:28:56 PM
Oh trust me, I had to Google it to get the details and the correct spelling of her name.  Saw a great documentary about her at the Jax Film Fest a few years ago.  She was wonderfully odd and fiercely protective of not only the dune but of American Beach as an important place in the history of North Florida's African-American community.

As far as culture goes, I always tell newcomers that Jacksonville has all the things that any bigger city has, you just have to dig a little deeper to find them.

Ernest Street

December 13, 2011, 09:55:02 PM
So..who is mis-informed?

JaxNative68

December 14, 2011, 08:46:44 AM

Apparently the are very petty, insecure and childish as well.

I'm sorry you don't have a sense of humor.  Life is more enjoyable and easier to make it through without horse blinders on.

Divide that by 9 please.

I-10east

December 14, 2011, 09:35:06 AM
^^^So you thought that I was taking a shot at you from that other thread. Note that on the other thread, I clearly acknowledged that you were speaking from a 'snobbish big city guy's perspective', and NOT your own. Did I say that you were the misinformed person? No. You act as if that was the first time I heard someone say 'Jax has no culture'. I'm sorry that I don't find erroneously lambasting my city humorous; Join the national media circus if you do. I'm not the one that's being childish here; Holding a 'grudge' that never was.

JaxNative68

December 14, 2011, 09:43:58 AM
^ "that's a shot John" - SuzynWaldman

I-10east

December 14, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
I'm a pretty straight foward person, and unlike alot of people on MJ, not afraid to admit when I'm wrong about something. If that was a shot, straight up I would have said 'I SMH when misimformed people like Jax Native68 says things like that'. Maybe I should have waited two years to post just so you wouldn't think that I was taking a shot at you. Geez, unbelieveable.

JaxNative68

December 14, 2011, 10:21:36 AM
Sorry, I wasn't serious and was using a New York reference in very tongue in cheek way since the "proven" spelling of 'pic-nic' was from Brooklyn... and it has been established that the south has been deemed a culturally inept place... geez... double unbelievable.

I-10east

December 14, 2011, 10:37:26 AM
^^^Oh, I gotcha I admit, that's some pretty clever psychology that you were using; My 'sarcasm filter' is off. That's a very obscure reference, and I didn't know who Suzyn was, so I wiki'd her, and she's an announcer who works for the Yankees along with John Sterling; I'm originally from NY and I didn't know who she was; I'm more of a Mets guy myself. Seriously, can we please end this pissing contest that never should have been?

JaxNative68

December 14, 2011, 10:46:51 AM
Pissing?  Who's pissing?  I'm not.  And I didn't realize you were... wait a minute, Did you get my wet?

Timkin

December 14, 2011, 12:42:29 PM
 :o

nomeus

December 14, 2011, 02:44:40 PM
Sure seems to be a lot of drama over something that has nothing to do with this article. But what do I know, I'm just the new kid on the block. Can't we all just get along? :)

Ernest Street

December 14, 2011, 08:41:54 PM
nomeus, I don't remember what parking lot I was in when I was looking at "Nana"  (The 60' wandering dune)
but someone came over and chatted with me about the beach lady..7 Foot DreadLock bundle!
It was about 2002- 2003.

Here's a link..... www.nowhereathens.com/beachladynew.html

Timkin

December 14, 2011, 09:46:37 PM

JaxNative68

December 14, 2011, 11:42:59 PM
+2... even with shoes smelling of urine.

JaxNative68

December 14, 2011, 11:55:15 PM

and yes Rodney King, we all can get along... just as soon as... :)

nomeus