Friday, August 29, 2014

Inside the Barnett Bank and Laura Trio

Metro Jacksonville takes a look inside a historic collection of buildings in the heart of downtown: The Barnett National Bank and Laura Trio buildings. (originally published June 4, 2010) Remind yourself what the buildings have been like for more than a decade just before they get redeveloped! Congratulations Downtown!

Published April 5, 2014 in History      76 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Barnett National Bank

112 West Adams Street
Date: 1926
Architects: Mowbray & Uffinger-New York
Builder: James Stewart Company-New York

Barnett National Bank's growth followed Jacksonville's skyline. It was founded in 1877 by William B. Barnett and his son Bion, as the Barnett Bank, with $40,000 in working capital. Within four years, it became the largest bank in Florida. Its name was changed in 1888 to National Bank of Jacksonville and in 1908 to Barnett National Bank. The bank grew steadily over its first fifty years, necessitating the construction of this $1,500,000 banking and office center in 1926, which remained the tallest building in Jacksonville until the Prudential Building was constructed in 1954.  Mowbray & Uffinger, nationally known bank architects from New York, designed it; and the contractor was the James Stewart Co., which constructed Madison Square Garden in New York and the Mitsui Bank in Tokyo, then the largest bank building in the world.  The Barnett National Bank Building is handsomely proportioned and reflects the eclectic influences of commercial architectural styles of the 1920's.  A two-story arcade faced with limestone makes up the street-level facade, and the building is topped with double-arched windows and a parapet with obelisks.  A series of lion heads between the third and fourth stories are among the other interesting details.

Source: Page 33, Jacksonville's Architectural Heritage Landmarks For The Future

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

OhJay

June 04, 2010, 04:47:19 AM
omg...the architecture is soooo amazing

BridgeTroll

June 04, 2010, 06:43:57 AM
Looks like Barnett has been completely cleaned out since I was given a tour a couple years ago.  Most of the original doors, walls, radiators, etc were still in place.  It was hard for me to imagine working in a building like that without A/C!

June 04, 2010, 08:02:19 AM
Wow. what great pictures. So much potential for this to be a landmark project.

Jason

June 04, 2010, 08:14:21 AM
The Marble Bank is fascinating.  I would kill to see it in its hey-day.

Wacca Pilatka

June 04, 2010, 08:31:27 AM
These pictures are spectacular, especially the ones of the Florida Life taken from inside the Barnett.  Even more spectacular is imaginging them restored.

June 04, 2010, 08:38:29 AM
this is awesome guys....great job!

archiphreak

June 04, 2010, 08:52:11 AM
Now, if these projects can just take off as planned....I worked on the Laura Trio back in 2006, I think, while at KBJ.  Could have been a great project, up there with The Carling.  Hopefully the City will help to keep these projects moving forward.
Great photo spread as always guys.

Dapperdan

June 04, 2010, 08:52:34 AM
The gold elvator door in the Barnett is spectacular. I hope they plan on restoring that. I am guessing it was once polished brass. Also, the circular staircase in the Bisbee is very interesting. I can't wait to see these building restored.

duvaldude08

June 04, 2010, 09:13:30 AM
Stephen,

Are they planning to keep the digital sign at the top of the barnett building? That wouuld be neat!

June 04, 2010, 09:21:41 AM
Back in the day, the Barnett Building was knee deep in brass... at least the lower floor was.  From the pictures, the building looks to be in pretty good shape.

The Marble Bank Building is as solid as they come.  Contrast that with the Bisbee Building that looks criminally in disrepair.

Great pictures guys!

June 04, 2010, 09:21:50 AM
Stephen,

This was actually the subject of a very long conversation with Steve and Woody.

They are planning on using that sign in some way.

The sign is actually a set of visual barriers that blocks view of the machinery on top of the roof.

It was a little odd to see the sign close up---I grew up seeing that sign and being able to use it to tell time--and in my memory of it, it was a digital sign that flashed the hour.

Up close its not a digital sign at all,  Its an analog sign and the digital dots are floodlight bulbs.  Its a simple sign to fix and wouldnt cost but a few hundred dollars to update the wiring and replace the bulbs.

Steve said they were going to repurpose the sign for display, and made some pretty awesome speculations about digital video displays being possible because of the falling price of the technology.

Woody, the guy who actually does the building winked and told us that might be phase two.

Whatever the final outcome, they do plan to do something with it.

What do you guys think?  Restore it in all of its vaguely neanderthal level tech glory or something modern and techy?

James

June 04, 2010, 09:25:11 AM
Potential, potential, potential...

TheProfessor

June 04, 2010, 09:35:36 AM
This is going to be exciting for the city!

duvaldude08

June 04, 2010, 09:36:48 AM
I think something modern and techy would be nice if its fesiable. That would REALLY help it stand out. If not the original analog would be ok. I believe there were some photos in another thread showing the restorations so far.

finehoe

June 04, 2010, 09:37:08 AM
Wonderful photos, guys!

I am always amazed that our society so often lets beautiful old buildings like these just fall into disrepair and deteriorate, and all too often, be torn down.  These are priceless pieces of our history and heritage, yet not enough people see their value.  Really sad.  But I am encouraged that someone may save this particular piece of the past.  I really hope this comes to fruition.

June 04, 2010, 09:49:32 AM
Stephen,

This was actually the subject of a very long conversation with Steve and Woody.

They are planning on using that sign in some way.

Whatever the final outcome, they do plan to do something with it.

To me, the clock was iconic.  It's something my eyes were always drawn to when I was either in downtown or driving down I-95.  Two years ago I was in Boston and they have that weather beacon thing on top of one of their buildings(Prudential Building maybe?) that's color coded to let you know if you're going to have snow tomorrow, etc.  Standing there in a city that is quite the opposite of Jacksonville, I suddenly felt a connection to my hometown that I hadn't experienced in my 5 days in Boston.  It was quite comforting.

Its obviously not my money to play with... but just for the point of discussion the location of the clock is too high up for something like the streaming video screens in Times Square.

How about:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7pA5RESEaOQ&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xd0d0d0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7pA5RESEaOQ&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xd0d0d0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;fs=1</a>

June 04, 2010, 09:52:26 AM
How do you imbed a youtube video?  Obviously I messed that up.

exnewsman

June 04, 2010, 10:17:16 AM
I wonder how much the city's sign ordinance will be a hinderence to these plans?

June 04, 2010, 10:18:16 AM
I say update the sign using LED's....let it flash the time and temperature like it did when I was growing up.

June 04, 2010, 10:20:43 AM
one tenth of the size available on the wall space..  It should be ok even by the modern law.

June 04, 2010, 10:34:22 AM
take a look at the Philly spread from yesterday for one idea on what to do with the Barnett clock....the TECO building has had a constant scroll across the top for years....tells date, time, and interesting public events....right now it probably says "LETS GO FLYERS"

Rocshaboc

June 04, 2010, 10:43:28 AM
I hope this goes through. Please don't let this fail.

Wacca Pilatka

June 04, 2010, 10:48:16 AM
Wonderful photos, guys!

It's amazing how fast it happens too.  It's not all that long ago that the Marble Bank was freshly renovated and the Trio buildings were occupied.

Cliffs_Daughter

June 04, 2010, 10:50:43 AM
Oh, those views of downtown!!!  What I wouldn't give to be up there with my own camera.

Jason

June 04, 2010, 11:19:23 AM
Isn't the old clock pretty much blocked from view from most skyline viewpoints?

reednavy

June 04, 2010, 11:32:09 AM
Isn't the old clock pretty much blocked from view from most skyline viewpoints?
Yes, unless you're in the arc from NW to NE of downtown, you can't see it.

heights unknown

June 04, 2010, 11:42:02 AM
Wow...they have a lot, I mean a LOT of work to do.  I hope this project comes to fruition and takes off.  Kuhn really stripped everything clean...it appears he wasn't playing until the economy crashed and the money spigot got turned off.  I remember when I was a teen, just finished High School and had joined the Navy and was stationed at Cecil, I used to go into the old Barnett Building; it was high classed, gold trim, nice carpeting and of course with that bank/money smell; what a difference 35 or so years make!  I used to also go into the Marble Bank and it was a beautiful building inside.  They have their work cut out for them...good luck and my blessings to the money players on this project.

"HU"

geauxtigers31

June 04, 2010, 11:47:12 AM
I know it isn't in the current plans, but how about adding a rooftop restaurant? It looks as though it could facilitate one and with Jacksonville's beautiful weather I think it would be a can't miss hit. When I lived in Baton Rouge this rooftop place on top of the shaw center called Tsunami stayed jam packed.

JeffreyS

June 04, 2010, 11:50:36 AM
It would help our skyline the most if BOA could get it's lights fixed instead of being a version of the CIA's black helicopters at night.

June 04, 2010, 12:05:03 PM

I agree.

bill

June 04, 2010, 12:45:00 PM

The money players are going to be taxpayers

Miss Fixit

June 04, 2010, 12:47:19 PM
Wonderful photos, guys!

My reaction, too.  It would be interesting to see photographs taken shortly before the buildings became unoccupied.  Does anyone know who/what were the final occupants of the Bisbee and Florida Life buildings, and how long they've been vacant?  HK sure could design a beautiful staircase....

June 04, 2010, 01:33:26 PM
I don't know about the Bisbee and Florida Life Buildings but I believe the Barnett was at least partially occupied into the early 2000s.

Wacca Pilatka

June 04, 2010, 02:24:15 PM
At one point in the 80s the Bisbee, Florida Life, and Marble Bank were all occupied by Jacksonville National Bank, which then became part of NCNB.  I believe NCNB occupied them all at least into the early 90s, because my first trip to Jacksonville was in '92 and I got a historical walking tour brochure that mentions NCNB as the tenant.

June 04, 2010, 02:52:05 PM

That's correct Lake.  Barnett was occupied up until around the turn of the century.  I had several friends that worked in the building from 96-00ish and I remember visiting them at lunch.  Most of Nation's employees found their way out to the Phillips Highway location next to the Avenues Mall(which has since been expanded)

June 04, 2010, 04:29:46 PM

This shot shows the fairly boneheaded work by Cameron Kuhns team.

They punched this freaking hole in every floor of the building so that they could demolish and destroy all the interior details and walls.  Now all of those floors will have to be repaired.

Its a look up from the Grand Lobby.

finehoe

June 04, 2010, 04:45:16 PM
^^^Boneheaded, yes, but it does make for a cool photo!

Wacca Pilatka

June 04, 2010, 05:02:41 PM
Wow, I thought that was looking down an elevator shaft or something.  What a strange decision.

MusicMan

June 04, 2010, 09:14:15 PM
That hole is an easy fix. The debris had to go somewhere. The new windows are nice. And they are getting these
buildings unbelievably cheap. The saddest part is why did anyone ever destroy the beautiful carved concrete
decorations at the top of the "skinny" one. What a shame.

June 05, 2010, 01:36:23 PM

Ethylene

June 05, 2010, 03:59:35 PM
Are there plans to close the new windows Kuhn put in anytime soon? Is there some reason for not closing them in the first place? Are they trying to age these suckers or what? Is there any evidence of anyone living there now or recently who shouldn't be?

halimeade

June 05, 2010, 05:11:19 PM
Looks like despite the neglect, there buildings still have a lot of potential to shine! Does any one know if these buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places, or if the developer plans to take advantage of the 20% federal preservation tax credit to fix them up?

Coolyfett

June 05, 2010, 11:13:36 PM

They are certified. All four of them.

halimeade

June 06, 2010, 04:50:42 AM

They are certified. All four of them.

That's great!

floridaforester

June 06, 2010, 12:35:00 PM
decorations at the top of the "skinny" one. What a shame.

Yes, the cornices on the Bisbee building were spectacular until outright neglect allowed them to start dropping pieces onto the sidewalk.  They were taken down by, I believe, the group that owned it prior to the firefighters' pension group (German co?).  It seems like there could have been a way to take them down in several pieces and saved for future restoration, but I don't think they had that kind of foresight. There have been previous threads about this in particular.

duvaldude08

July 12, 2010, 12:58:07 PM
After the news broke about this, everything's been pretty quiet. Has anyone heard any recent news?

Tomcatteralways

August 23, 2010, 08:02:54 PM
wow, for some reason looking at these great photos is like looking at the titanic. The detail in the staircases and railings. You simply cannot recreate that!

August 23, 2010, 08:08:22 PM
This project will be up for DDRB review this Thursday.

duvaldude08

August 23, 2010, 11:01:46 PM
This project will be up for DDRB review this Thursday.

Not to sound dumb, but what is the DDRB?

newzgrrl

August 23, 2010, 11:18:11 PM
This project will be up for DDRB review this Thursday.

Not to sound dumb, but what is the DDRB?

Downtown Development Review Board

Will anyone from here be attending? I'm available and will plan to be there; I intend to move into the Florida Life building when it opens.

August 23, 2010, 11:20:53 PM
This project will be up for DDRB review this Thursday.

Not to sound dumb, but what is the DDRB?

Downtown Development Review Board

The JEDC and its Downtown Development Review Board (DDRB) are responsible for reviewing and approving projects for compliance with the Downtown Master Plan and the Downtown Zoning Overlay. The DDRB process is two-tiered with a conceptual and final design review process.

To provide flexible land use and design guidance for new and rehabilitation projects in the downtown area, the Jacksonville City Council adopted the Downtown Master Plan  - Ordinance 2000-321-E on May 9, 2000; the Downtown Sign Overlay - Ordinance 2002-446-E on June 26, 2002; the Downtown Zoning Overlay - Ordinance 2003-627-E on June 30, 2003; - both of which were amended by Ordinance 2007-564-E on June 26, 2007.

All projects located within the jurisdiction of the DDRB are subject to these Ordinances.

Meeting Times and Staff Contacts

The DDRB meets at 2 p.m. on the last Thursday of each month in the Police & Fire Pension Building, 1 West Adams St., Suite 200. Contact Jim Klement, Redevelopment Coordinator, at (904) 630-2689 or at jklement@coj.net to confirm meeting dates and times, questions, or placement on the agenda.

Members

Chair - Jonathan R. Garza, Garza Constructors, Inc. - Contractor/Developer/ Realtor Representative

Vice-Chair - Andy Sikes, Baptist Health - Urban Planner Representative

Secretary - Timothy Miller, Ervin Lovett and Miller - Downtown Property Owner Representative

James F. Bailey, Jr., Bailey Publishing and Communications, Inc. - Downtown Property Owner Representative

Christopher D. Flagg RLA, ASLA, Flagg Design Studio, LLC - Landscape Architect Representative

Logan Rink, Design Cooperative, LLC - Downtown Property Owner Representative

Montasser M. Selim, Reynolds, Smith & Hill (RS&H) - Urban Planner Representative

Roland Udenze, Haskell Architects and Engineers - Architect Representative

Rose Zurawski, Stegenga & Partners, PC - Architect Representative

duvaldude08

August 24, 2010, 12:12:14 AM
This project will be up for DDRB review this Thursday.

Not to sound dumb, but what is the DDRB?

Downtown Development Review Board

Meeting Times and Staff Contacts

Members

Vice-Chair - Andy Sikes, Baptist Health - Urban Planner Representative

Logan Rink, Design Cooperative, LLC - Downtown Property Owner Representative

Roland Udenze, Haskell Architects and Engineers - Architect Representative

Rose Zurawski, Stegenga & Partners, PC - Architect Representative

Thanks Stephen

acme54321

August 30, 2011, 08:33:47 PM
Compare this picture to the present state of the Barnett Bank building.... sad

August 30, 2011, 10:06:24 PM
^Wow, that's impresssive.

April 05, 2014, 11:03:32 AM
These photos are going to be for the history books.

April 05, 2014, 11:08:37 AM

This is the hole punched through every floor of the building in order to do the demos of the interior safely.

April 05, 2014, 11:24:32 AM
I will never forget when those idiots dynamited the cornices off of this building.  Blaire and Bobby Woolverton and most of the intelligent people of the community were down there protesting the lunacy.  They claimed the cornices were 'unsafe' but were unable to knock them off with a wrecking ball and then had to use explosives.

The sad result:

Elwood

April 05, 2014, 09:49:41 PM
Has there been any discussion about possibly restoring the cornices by developers, either past or present?

Wacca Pilatka

April 05, 2014, 11:57:34 PM

Yes, this was brought up as part of the original version of the Trio restoration plan in 2010.  I think Wayne Wood still has the plaster molds of the cornices from Klutho so they can be restored if a developer so desires?

KRDUB33

April 07, 2014, 04:13:37 PM
Here are some shots that I took when I was in a few years ago. Would love to get back in there and fire off a few more.

jaxjaguar

July 10, 2014, 09:06:45 AM
Does anyone know when construction / restoration is supposed to begin? I haven't seen any activity since 1 Spark :/

duvaldude08

July 10, 2014, 01:04:49 PM

If Im not mistaken, they have already started restoration, etc in the Barnett Building.

edjax

August 13, 2014, 05:52:16 PM
So can we cross this one off the list?  As in not happening.

jaxjaguar

August 13, 2014, 06:21:48 PM
As I've said before, aside from the renovations they did for One Spark and the pretty lights at night, I haven't seen any activity. The buildings are right next to mine and are just as empty as before... The only thing I can think of is there's some sort of legal issue they've run into. The Barnett was supposed to be completed by Summer 2015, but there's no way that's going to happen. I'd be surprised if it was even complete next year. Hopefully it's nothing too serious though... these projects are desperately needed to fill in that section of downtown.

edjax

August 13, 2014, 06:45:07 PM
I don't know. Perhaps they are waiting for the whole DIA thing to get approved so they can get some funds from them?  Or just another example of the local guys just can't make things work on a bigger scale.

August 22, 2014, 06:34:16 PM
So can we cross this one off the list?  As in not happening.

As in absolutely happening.

There should be an announcement by the 15th of September.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

August 22, 2014, 07:40:54 PM
Uh-oh.....

I may be reading a little too much into it, but if

There should be an announcement by...

is anything like

...is going to be announced shortly....

Then we might start seeing something around 2025.  ;)

August 22, 2014, 09:09:50 PM
I think there might be a few other downtown announcements before then...perhaps starting this Sunday

Kay

August 22, 2014, 09:23:04 PM
I don't want any City money going to the Landing unless Tony Sleiman has an approved plan and can pay for it.  I disagree with the Chamber in that the Landing is the most important thing we need to do downtown.

Noone

August 22, 2014, 09:30:47 PM

Like the new Downtown docking zone map that was announced at the 8/13/14 Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting? I know Scott Wilson and Don Redman are excited. Rumor has it.

August 22, 2014, 09:58:22 PM
I was thinking about a few bigger items, but sure...add it to the list

edjax

August 22, 2014, 10:16:04 PM

Agree.

edjax

August 22, 2014, 10:19:03 PM

What, no Jimmy Johns because metro Jax posters are appalled at the mr jimmy?  Two steps forward, three steps back. Damn

edjax

August 22, 2014, 10:21:11 PM
Uh-oh.....

I may be reading a little too much into it, but if

There should be an announcement by...

is anything like

...is going to be announced shortly....

Then we might start seeing something around 2025.  ;)

+1000. Funny stuff.

bill

August 22, 2014, 11:20:02 PM
No Jimmy Johns WAS the announcement. Or maybe an old folks home for Springfield! Blue hairs in the hizzle!

August 23, 2014, 01:13:59 AM
The Landing plans will run this weekend in the Times Union Apparently.

And TUFSU's committee finally has a copy of the plans in the shipyard district.

consider it a happy birthday present, non redneck westsider.  Follow your intuition.