Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Three Layers the latest addition to Springfield

Despite a slowing real estate market, the renaissance of Springfield continues. Three Layers A Coffeehouse, is the latest element to Springfield's walkable neighborhood friendly retail atmosphere.

Published March 19, 2008 in Dining & Nightlife      49 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Inside Three Layers A Coffeehouse

On Thursday, March 13, 2008, Metro Jacksonville had the opportunity to get a sneak peak inside of the urban core's newest coffeehouse.  Outdoor seating, free WiFi and regularly scheduled movie nights will be a part of Three Layer's offerings.

Three Layers A Coffeehouse is scheduled to open this Saturday.  Tenative hours will have the coffeeshop open in the mornings from 7a.m. to 11a.m. and in the evening from 5p.m. to 9p.m.

zoo

March 19, 2008, 07:47:46 AM
This space is awesome, as is the plan for coffee, fresh fruit, smoothies and, of course, 3-layer cakes and other baked goods. Three Layers has out-Starbucks'ed Starbucks by a wide margin with its urban cool space and cosmopolitan design. Expect a line out the door on Sat a.m. (corner of 6th & Walnut St, 32206 ZIP code).

March 19, 2008, 07:56:49 AM
Since this is only three blocks from my house, I plan to be there.  Walking to a coffee shop in my own neighborhood, how cool.

second_pancake

March 19, 2008, 08:31:15 AM
It looks beautiful. Does anyone know, do they make their own baked goods or do they get them from another bakery establishment and if so, do you know the name?

March 19, 2008, 08:34:07 AM
They make their own baked goods or at least cakes from what I understand.

willydenn

March 19, 2008, 09:08:00 AM
What's the address?

March 19, 2008, 09:10:05 AM
1602 Walnut Street
Jacksonville, FL 32206

teresangel

March 19, 2008, 03:39:35 PM
Yay, a cool hangout less than two blocks away =)

Won't be able to make the morning opening, do we know how late they'll be open usually?

Steve

April 07, 2008, 01:51:45 PM
Had a chance to check this out this past Friday.  The guys who own this place appear to be doing very well (and after you have some of the desserts, you will understand why).

Not only is this place worth it if you are in the springfield area, it's definitely worth the drive to it if you are not in springfield.

It's at the corner of 6th and Walnut as a reminder.

Downtown Dweller

April 07, 2008, 02:06:38 PM
Can I recommend the espresso cake, no the red velvet, no the lemon, well maybe the carrot, hmmm Jeff Squares are pretty tasty too. Anyone try the English Muffin Bread, oh man!!! Never mind, forget I posted, they already run out of cakes too fast...don't go, please don't go I want a better shot at actually getting a piece of cake  ;D

Jimmy

April 07, 2008, 03:00:53 PM
Will someone kindly call me when they have some strawberry in? :)

I can confirm that the Italian Creme is my favorite... so far!

shawnsoldit

April 08, 2008, 10:24:10 PM
I can confirm....Strawberry is HERE!

April 08, 2008, 10:24:50 PM
Springfields only cool hangout before primetime

Downtown Dweller

April 09, 2008, 09:30:54 AM
We had the strawberry last night, tasted just like a fresh picked strawberry dipped in cream! Every time I try something new it becomes my new fav  :-*

JeffreyS

April 10, 2008, 04:52:45 PM
The Jeff squares hands down the best.

jbm32206

April 10, 2008, 06:18:52 PM
You should try their orange cream....OMG....it's fantastic!!

jennifer0204

May 31, 2008, 08:26:37 PM
So glad to see this in Springfield!!!

June 19, 2008, 05:34:10 PM
The little coffeeshop that could has begun a tentative entertainment schedule in the evenings to complement their art openings.

What an awesome place.

Now they are beginning a regular poetry reading called Heart Flow Friday, hosted by Simply Candice and featuring multiple spoken word performances.

The show will begin Friday, June20th from 7-9 pm.

Cant wait.

June 21, 2008, 04:26:10 PM
Poetry was awesome.

nice and laid back and filled the space.

These guys know what they are doing.

Saturday afternoon andhalf the neighborhood is in here with their laptops.

RiversideGator

June 21, 2008, 10:27:33 PM
That's odd.  I was there shortly after 4:30 and did not see you.  I guess we just missed you.

June 22, 2008, 01:04:20 AM
Must have.  I left shortly after posting.  What brings you so regularly to gods green acre, river?

RiversideGator

June 22, 2008, 11:33:35 PM
I am a big fan of Springfield.  Although I do not reside there, I visit frequently and like to support businesses there.  I would eventually like to purchase some rental property there also if something attractive becomes available and I am prepared.

July 03, 2008, 01:07:29 PM
Just dropped into the coolest little place in the city core.

Three Layers naturally.  International House of Gossip.

(And Jeff Squares)

Its 1 in the afternoon and there is a tremendously talented guy named Al Poindexter playing guitar and banjo.  What an awesome thing to have in the afternoon.

Al says that he has a fiddle playing partner that will be joining him in night time performances.

Love this place.

David

July 03, 2008, 01:26:19 PM
I've visted 3 times already and I love there as well. Are there any update on expanded hours? It'd be nice to have something other than a bar/pub open after the sun goes down.

July 03, 2008, 01:45:36 PM
this guy is really fantastic.

Hes doing bluegrass and folk and his skill is freaking amazing.

What a treat.

July 03, 2008, 02:04:24 PM

Sean is being masterfully noncommital.

I get the intuition that its an unofficial policy on the weekends.

July 03, 2008, 02:39:45 PM
this guy is really fantastic.

Hes doing bluegrass and folk and his skill is freaking amazing.

What a treat.
they will be performing soon at night (fiddle player included---susan staten)

And there is talk they will be playing next tuesday at lunchtime.

AlachuaDuval

July 08, 2008, 07:47:43 PM
Hello all. My first post, but a frequent reader. I have roots in Jacksonville and also Gainesville, and I'm always encouraged by new economic development in Springfield.

One question, maybe someone has an answer. The property on Main street, I believe its Main/8th....it used to house a furniture store and Bateh's grocery.  What's going on with that building. Maybe I'm wrong but it appears to be prime property for someone to develop.

Thanks
AlachuaDuval

downtownparks

July 08, 2008, 08:09:06 PM
You are correct, they are prime, sadly nothing has been done with them as yet. The furnature Store is very large, and even at $5 a sq foot, its a significant investment. If the owner would make a move to at least get it to raw space, and then give short term favorable rents, it would be a huge boost. The residential side of the community is on cruise control, even with the housing market imploding elsewhere, but Main St seems to be that elusive last item.

SPAR has now partnered with LISC, and along with other community organizations, a sincere effort is being made to encourage development. SRG is currently building 3rd and Main for the Cesarys, and I know that efforts are being made to get quality tenants in there once it opens next summer.

7th and Main should be developed in the next year or so, and hopefully will bring enough interest to Main to kick some of the other owners into high grear (or really any gear at all)

Cross your fingers. This next year or so should be a good one for the progress on Main.

jbm32206

October 16, 2008, 09:03:00 PM
Three Layers had a special visitor today:

October 16, 2008, 09:07:53 PM
Very cool.

shawnsoldit

October 17, 2008, 12:02:20 AM
I"ll have to admit it was PRETTY KOOL! The Governor was apparently downtown to sign a piece of legislation and had some time on his hands...he asked if there was a nice place to grab a cup of coffee. Someone told him about us and he and his security guards came! I was busy buzzing around the hood with a client...and Jeff sends me a text. The Governor is here! I'm like???? the Governor??? I raced back and sure enough there he was! He stayed for about 20 minutes, we had live music which usually plays every lunch time on Wednesday...but he had to move it to Thursday..anyway the point is...he picked up the guitar and started playing some song---I guessed "Smoke on the Water" (he was amused). It in fact was a Beatles song (not played well at all). Anyway, it was WAY FUN.

Two weeks ago http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1837590/ Arron Staton, one of the stars of Emmy Award Winning MAD MEN on AMC was in with his wife on Thursday evening. His mother plays the fiddle along with Al Poindexter every Thursday night here at the Layers. It was kool to see him on the Emmy Stage a few days later....I was like...that guy was just here in the hood with us!

Anyway, if you haven't been to see us in a while come on in! There's lots of new stuff going on!

P.S. Our lunch menu is growing!
_________________
Shawn McGuire--Broker / Owner of Dwellings a Real Estate Company
Jeff Wright-- Owner / Baker Three Layers A Coffeehouse

live Simply. love Generously. care Deeply. speak Kindly

sheclown

October 17, 2008, 07:51:55 AM
That is urban living -- you never know what will happen next!

Yesterday the governor and today Jimmy the crawling mad man.

That's entertainment.

stephElf

October 17, 2008, 09:57:08 AM

P.S. Our lunch menu is growing!
_________________
Shawn McGuire--Broker / Owner of Dwellings a Real Estate Company
Jeff Wright-- Owner / Baker Three Layers A Coffeehouse

live Simply. love Generously. care Deeply. speak Kindly

that is awesome for you guys!!

p.s. I <3 Mad Men

October 22, 2008, 11:07:38 PM
And the salads are brillig.

jacksonvilleconfidential

October 23, 2008, 11:51:07 AM
Be sure to check out Christopher Cahills photography at Three Layers next month.....

soxfan

October 23, 2008, 12:38:39 PM
Went in to get my morning coffee, as usual, and discovered that they are now serving soup. AWESOME!!!

May 03, 2009, 08:16:03 PM

Unidentified woman at Three Layers wins tickets to see Taylor Swift

TheProfessor

May 04, 2009, 12:29:41 AM
I think that's a drag queen ;)

heights unknown

May 04, 2009, 07:14:39 AM
I can't believe such a place exists in Springfield; quite a long ways from the red neck tavern honky tonks that graced that area back in the day.  Hooray for 3 Layers and hooray for Springfield (in other words..."Hello Hooray!").

I must drop in next time I'm in "Big Jax."

Heights Unknown

Springfielder

May 04, 2009, 07:32:52 AM
It was all in fun, and this unidentified woman did win the contest. We in Springfield do know how to have fun, we're a great neighborhood

May 04, 2009, 01:57:01 PM
A drag queen?

just because she has an adams apple, five o clock shadow, massive hairy arms and broad shoulders doesnt mean anything!

It was great fun, btw.

pictured is one of the owners, Jeff Wright, on his way to win Taylor Swift tickets for McKay, a young high school girl who works at the cafe.

The contest had girls and their dad's show up, with Dad being dressed as Swift for the win.

With the help of a local professional make up artist, Wright not only won the contest but won it hands down.

TheProfessor

May 04, 2009, 04:17:41 PM
He does have nice soft features but the lack of breasts and large hands were a give away.  Nice dress :)

civil42806

May 04, 2009, 09:02:09 PM
A drag queen?

It was great fun, btw.

Always check for the big hands ;)

Deuce

May 05, 2009, 09:27:05 AM
And the Adam's apple. Plus if they do BMW repair, that's usually not a good sign either.

Mugatu

May 05, 2009, 02:12:36 PM
That, and her voice was pitched somewhere between baritone and bass.  It was a little disconcerting given her ensemble.

May 05, 2009, 02:33:47 PM
Scary!

springfield

May 09, 2009, 01:20:29 PM
Had a chance to check out the new bar and zen garden yesterday as part of the SPAR Home Tour. The garden was very relaxing and almost complete. Nicely done. Beautiful art work in the bar area. Looking forward to when it's open.

Gonzo

May 11, 2009, 08:04:47 AM
For those who got a glimpse of the new Wine and Beer room and Zen Garden at Three Layers during the Springfield Heritage Tour, you now know what a gem this establishement is. Jeff and Shawn have crafted a neighborhood hang out that is at once cozy and hip. From the tiniest details such as objects embedded in the cement bar top to the curling wave patterns in the door way this is quite obviously a labor of love.

We had the opportunity to hang out with a drink in the new space last night and thoroughly enoyed ourselves. This place lends itself to being friendly and social. The garden is beautiful, peaceful and will soon contain and unique water feature that is sure to add to the serenity.

The addition of a party room just off the garden is sure to be a hit, too. While on the Heritage Tour with my mother yesterday, she announced that that is where she wants to have her birthday party this year. And who could blame her? This place is almost magical.

If you have not had the opportunity to stop by, I urge you to visit Three Layers. Come for the coffee, cake or for a glass of wine or one of three Bold City beers. Or just come for the comfortable, friendly atmosphere. Whatever the reason for your visit you will surely come to understand why Springfield locals go on and on about the place.

zoo

May 11, 2009, 10:53:38 AM
Another great space/concept.

This is a study in commercial revitalization and what can happen when an entrepreneur is bold enough to "go high." Can Springfield currently support 30 of these types of establishments? Probably not. But this case study, the Premier Pharmacy, and info from the Springfield Development Assessment indicate that there is room for several more.

My hope is that other retailers will follow their lead and adjust their model a bit to appeal to a broader base, and businesses that aren't in Springfield will realize if they make the effort here, they will be supported by the community and other local businesses.

Looking forward to enjoying the Cellar when it officially opens, and to Uptown Market and City Kids Ice Cream later this summer.