Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Exploring St. Johns Town Center - Phase II

St Johns Town Center has been extensively covered by the local media since its grand opening. Today, Metro Jacksonville explores the region's premier shopping complex and its major expansion.

Published April 25, 2007 in Development      9 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

St. Johns Town Center

Phase II will be an expansion of the lifestyle/Main Street-style shopping corridor, shown in this image.

Phase II Statistics:

Developers: Simon Property Group and Ben Carter Properties
Architect: Dorsky Hodgson Parrish Yue (Cleveland)
Contractor: Hardin Construction Co, LLC.

Leasable retail space: 228,000 square feet

Estimated number of shops: 40 upscale retailers and four restaurants, most of which will be new to the Jacksonville market.

Estimated total construction costs: $20 million.

St. Johns Town Center Site Plan

The development will extend River City Drive (past Dillard's, Swoozie's, and Artsy Abode) south toward Butler Boulevard by about 40 boutiques and galleries. The end of the street will be capped by a park and four "white-linen" restaurants with "higher price points than what we already have now," Carter said.

St. Johns Town Center Rendering

A rendering of the River City Drive extension

Construction Pictures - 4/21/07

St. Johns Town Center Phase 2

The Phase II shopping corridor will terminate into a park-like setting surrounded by four upscale restaurants, adjacent to Butler Blvd.

St. Johns Town Center

Pottery Barn

Suspected Anchors - Phase III (Not a part of Phase II):
Macy's
Nordstrom
Neiman Marcus

For more information:

Share this article   digg   delicious   reddit   myspace   technorati   google   newsvine

Adam B

April 25, 2007, 07:28:01 AM
i really don't enjoy having to deal with the crowds and parking at the Towncenter, but i have a hard time getting upset about a Puma, Urban Outfitters, West Elm,Lacoste and Nordstrom.

Joey Marchy

April 25, 2007, 07:44:19 AM
Metro Park is also something to be excited about from my perspective. They have a lot up upcoming urban and street labels. They also have in-store DJ performances.

Metropark Heats Up The Gen Y Market

dj

April 25, 2007, 08:32:05 AM
Any word on Phase III construction? when will it happen?

exnewsman

April 25, 2007, 05:23:19 PM
This mall needs a trolley system to shuttle people around.  It could be similar to what JTA uses downtown or the outlet mall in St. Augustine has.  For many people (the elderly or someone with a disability, walking the distances you have to walk from parking to store-to-store can be exhausting - especially in the extreme heat of the summer months.

I-10east

April 25, 2007, 06:54:24 PM
To all the peeps bitchin' about the SJTC parking, don't visit it then, damn; These type of complainers are probably the type of people that are spoiled, never had any sense of struggle in life, always had a car in the family, and always had everything handed to them in their entire lifetime. If you're disabled, then you might wanna drive from store to store, if it's far distances between the stores. Try catching a bus (Before I had a car) to Regency, shopping at Reg, then walking across Arlington Expressway to shop at the plaza across the street from Reg, then back across the street to catch the bus back downtown with bags in hand; Then complain about the SJTC parking!

Jerome Howard

April 26, 2007, 12:13:18 AM
We can sure use something like that on downtown's LaVilla Section!  ;)

Adam B

April 26, 2007, 10:00:09 AM
I10-east, you need to take a chill pill.  parking there is a pain, as is the traffic.  i'm sorry that my family has always had a car.  but still, the place is way over-crowded, and i'd much rather these cool stores i like go to locate themselves downtown.

duke

April 26, 2007, 10:36:21 AM
Adam, I've never had any issues with parking nor crowds at the town center.  I actually don't think it's any more crowded than any of the other malls.  I don't get what the big deal is about parking there, i've never had any problems.  So, you may have to park a distance and walk your way to the mall... what's the big deal?  When you get into the mall or the town center in this case, you're going to be walking in there anyway...
I do agree, that it would be great if some of these stores opened in downtown, but lets face facts.. with the way things are going downtown (see red tape discussion from today) that could take YEARS to happen.  And when it does, the crowds, the traffic, AND the parking issues are going to follow as well.

I-10east

April 26, 2007, 01:46:12 PM
Adam, you came outta the gate complaining about SJTC parking with the "Mixed Reaction"post; Maybe you should take a chill pill and enjoy these new stores that we're gonna have; If not, I'm just trying to come up with a reasonable solution when I say "Don't go to SJTC then" if the parking is so horrible, and you hate it so much; That will be one less person in my way, when phase2 opens at the SJTC. I totally agree with Duke when he said "What's the big deal?" I couldn't have said it any better. One my first day visiting SJTC shortly after it opened, I never though of it as a bad thing with the large parking lots; It seemed very normal to me. It wasn't until I joined the Metjax forums when I realized that it was such a big deal or whatever. Once again, if you hate the parking at SJTC, don't visit it.